The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to stand or sit when you play jazz?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to stand when I play

50 22.73%
  • I prefer to sit when I play jazz

170 77.27%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 148

User Info Menu

As I get get older I always opt to sit. But I also got more comfortable playing jazz sitting. Since that's the way I practice my arms got comfortable with that so I don't feel I can really play at my optimum standing. I don't play a big arch top but rather a Gibson ES-355, so weight is not an issue. I have done recently a 6 hour gig where I was required to stand the whole time and I survived, and didn't really have a problem, which made me re-think my justifications for sitting, for about a minute.

How about you? Do you sit or stand?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

always stand. better projection, better for expression, better for the back.

User Info Menu

I like to sit either chair or like bar stool.

User Info Menu

I use a fold-up bar stool cuz my back has some lower back issues when I stand for a long time.

wiz

User Info Menu

Stand??? Are we talking about marching band???

User Info Menu

I use a bar stool. I bring the $20 one I get from Target. I've had to buy four now as I sometimes either leave it at the gig or someone takes it, thinking that it belongs to the venue.

User Info Menu

If someone told me to stand I'd pack my stuff and say have a nice life. No more standing or song and dance from Stevebol.

I better get a stool I suppose.

User Info Menu

I did a gig in England. It paid well and they flew me over. It was a big band, concert backing a bunch of singers. Part of it was a dance. 6 hours standing. I couldn't quite say no after they flew me over.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 04-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I like to sit unless it's a gig that demands otherwise. I also play gypsy jazz, and nobody stands while playing those guitars so I try to standardize my approach that way so there is no big transition when I play the different styles. But I sometimes practice when standing up just to know that I'll be able to play somewhat decent if I ever find myself in a situation when I can't sit down, and for that reason I always bring a strap in my guitar case too.

I think whatever makes the player plays his best is the best way. But being able to play good standing up covers all bases so it's good to at least be able to do so if you ever have to.
    If you play rock, funk, soul, rhyhm & blues or any of those styles it is probably expected that you play standing up. But as a member of the audience I couldn't care less as long as the player can play. But some people do get hung up on things like that. Don't know why.

User Info Menu

I like to sit when I play Jazz. I use pretty much any armless chair available, but I have a cheap adjustable-height classical footrest that I use for my right foot. When I play rock or pop, I usually stand, but after 3 hours my feet are tired!

User Info Menu

I sit on as bartstool when playing my jazz gigs. I started with classic guitar so prefer this, but when playing rock stuff when much younger everyone stood. I think it is also more ergonomic for the hands when sitting, I cannot understrand how anyone can play well with theor guitars slung at waist level, thats just for show and has nothing to do with music.

User Info Menu

How about the Jimmy Page style where he has his Les Paul down around his knees with both arms straight down?

User Info Menu

Stand, I hate sitting in a performance setting, takes a lot away from the visual aspect, plus I'm free to move around.
    I have a guitar which comes with no strap buttons, so I was forced to only sit, since I don't own power tools to install them. For the year or so that I owned the guitar, I tried those over the headstock straps and it was horribly uncomfortable, so I was confined to sitting, which is comfortable but if the guitar slipped or slid out of position, I had to lift it while playing to put it back in position which is distracting.
    While standing, the guitar is floating and a simple push or pull will readjust to comfort.

That, and I just like standing. I do keep my strap up pretty high.

User Info Menu

I think every guitar player should stand when performing. The problem is we tend to practice sitting down. And the guitar and how you play it can feel very different when standing vs. sitting. So I strive to stand while practicing but it's tough.

User Info Menu

I have to sit. I have lower back issues and I also try to keep the back of the guitar off my body as much as possible. can't do that standing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I use a bar stool. I bring the $20 one I get from Target. I've had to buy four now as I sometimes either leave it at the gig or someone takes it, thinking that it belongs to the venue.
    This reminds me. Years ago I bought a drummer's throne (-the top was more like a bicycle seat than a stool) and enjoyed it. (We parted ways when I entered seminary.) I use a chair from Goodwill now and it's fine but I wonder if any other guitarists have tried drummer's thrones / stools.

User Info Menu

Drummer's thrones are cool - not too big, and you can adjust the height of the nice hydraulic versions.

I like to stand. But, I saw BB King a few years back (he was 80 or 81), and he said, "After 80, I've earned it. I can sit if I want to!" And, so it was.

User Info Menu

I have thought about a drum stool. But it sits too low. My compromise is a bar stool which is half standing. Many of my gigs I'm the band leader and do have to be cognizant of being on stage with people watching. I have to think a LITTLE about stage presence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I have thought about a drum stool. But it sits too low. My compromise is a bar stool which is half standing. Many of my gigs I'm the band leader and do have to be cognizant of being on stage with people watching. I have to think a LITTLE about stage presence.
    That's why I like a bar stool is you can just rest your butt on it without having to climb on it when mobility is necessary.

User Info Menu

Do you sit of stand when performing?

I like two options...:-)

User Info Menu

If the booze is free, I'll usually lie down and play.

User Info Menu

Besides serious and permanent lower back issues, I prefer sitting down. I wedge the guitar between my leg and my chest so the back of the guitar is not in contact with my body and thus can vibrate better. (I like a mix amp and acoustic tone.)

User Info Menu

Earlier years..standing....

Now....always sitting....on a piano stool...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Depends on the gig/format.

Playing with the quartet, it's generally standing. I like the freedom of being able to move and it helps me to interact with the rest of the band. the music that we play is more lively and we tend to be the focus of attention in the places we play, so it's good for the audience to have something visual going on too.

With the duos, I sit. The gigs tend to be more background music for people drinking & dining in restaurants or wine bars. I have a bar-stool (one that folds flat for easy transport, great idea!); so does the double-bassist in that duo and it's more appropriate for that ambience.
    Last edited by mangotango; 05-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

You need to put "Both" as a voting option. It often depends on the setting/gig, etc.