The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to stand or sit when you play jazz?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to stand when I play

50 22.73%
  • I prefer to sit when I play jazz

170 77.27%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 148

User Info Menu

For big band I sit regularly but if I have a solo I stand up. I suppose it doesn't matter much because my guitar strap is set so that my guitar is about the same level while I stand.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer standing.
    ofcourse sitting is better than standing for playing.

but standing is better to communicate with other members.(for example,turn back and eye-contacts...)

User Info Menu

sit for jazz, stand to rock.

User Info Menu

I find that the balance of the guitar is very important, whether I'm sitting or standing. I use the classical guitar type position when sitting, but with a strap, so I want the guitar neck head to stay at shoulder height at all times, without any adjusting. Neck heavy guitars don't work for me, I find that I'm constantly adjusting the neck height.

The guitar's balance is not as critical, if you play sitting with the guitar on your right knee like Barney Kessel in this video:

User Info Menu

playing standing is more relaxing. i sit playing my nylon string only because i have yet to buy a strap for it.
    plus, george benson stood when he appeared on don kirshner !!
    ...and if pat metheny stands, then i stand, too.

cheers !
    dm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rgarvey93
    I have a strong tendency to sit whilst playing the guitar in nearly almost setting, unless of course I am in a quartet with a bassist lead instrumentalist other than myself and a bassist, then I just feel awkward sitting.

I honestly believe it is more intimate, as the guitar was conjured to be.
    Huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    As long as we are all sitting down (well, mostly) I'll re-ask a question i dropped into another thread. If you are playing a Tele, or other small-bodied guitar, which leg do you rest it on?

I find it easier to put it on the "wrong" leg (left leg -- and I am right handed). My gut gets in the way when going for the higher frets if it is resting on my right leg
    Recently switched to right leg+footrest with my tele. Can't imagine going back- I don't see how folks maintain proper thumb position using their right leg with a solid-body. I think the classical guys are right, it's simply the correct way to hold a (smaller bodied, at least) guitar- though I open myself up for getting laughed at by all sides for doing a Segovia impression on a country guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This reminds me. Years ago I bought a drummer's throne (-the top was more like a bicycle seat than a stool) and enjoyed it. (We parted ways when I entered seminary.) I use a chair from Goodwill now and it's fine but I wonder if any other guitarists have tried drummer's thrones / stools.
    I use a drummer's throne. Hydraulic adjustment and it's quite comfortable. I wouldn't mind standing but with this back, it's not happening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexArkansas
    Recently switched to right leg+footrest with my tele. Can't imagine going back- I don't see how folks maintain proper thumb position using their right leg with a solid-body. I think the classical guys are right, it's simply the correct way to hold a (smaller bodied, at least) guitar- though I open myself up for getting laughed at by all sides for doing a Segovia impression on a country guitar.

i agree. if you're going to sit ( boooo ) then a footrest is the way to go. my rule is that your back must be completely straight and shoulders are down and you're spine is curved. that's the only way for me, anyhow. but the footrest is crucial. whichever leg you use to rest your guitar must be raised with the help of a foot stool. make one cheap with a 2 x 4 !

sitting without a footstool will not work. shoulders are crooked, back is hunched and you're smothering and pressing against madame.
    madame does not want to be smothered or else she will not vibrate.

wowaaaaaa!!!

rock on, dudes !!!
    d

User Info Menu

Bar stool works if the rungs are at different levels so I can keep my left thigh higher. Footstools also work. If I'm at a spot without a footstool, I just tuck my right foot under my left. The closest I can get to a classical position, the better.

Joe

User Info Menu

Prefer sitting with deep bodies (acoustic, archtop). Don't mind standing with solids or semi-hollows.

User Info Menu

I like sit down when playing jazz, cause it is more comfortable

User Info Menu

I like to sit when playing solo and stand when playing with a group (or lean casually on a high stool pretending that I'm James Dean or something).

It feels weird to stand when performing solo for some reason. I think the more intimate sound deserves a more intimate setting.

Marvin Gaye, of course, mastered the third possibility: performing while reclining on a chaise lounge.

User Info Menu

The barstool works well for me. I can rest my feet when needed and stand when appropriate. Of course, standing is always preferable when things are going badly and I may need a quick escape....

User Info Menu

Sitting with a strap where I can keep my back straight!

Somehow to me an archtop needs to be played sitting down,otherwise it feels ungainly.About 20 years ago I saw Mr Kenny Burrell onstage doing a set standing up and he is obviously very comfortable with it.As is Mr Martin Taylor,both superlative players.
    But chacun a son gout.If it works for you...do it.

User Info Menu

Both... funny Henry, I use those cheap stools also, lose at least one every other week. But they make for one trips to gigs, My AER is in bag over shoulder with gig bag and carry Gui. except when too far... use a small gig dolly.

I use the taller stools... somewhat have the appearance of standing... propped up.

Most jazz festivals and bigger venues...I sit if I can get away with it... but usually only play one set. The problem when I stand... I start to almost dance...way too much movement. Of course there were the R&B/Funk days, the hotel late night contracts...I'm glad those are gone...always stood, always four hour gigs.

I do tend to move around on stage at gigs... BS about what were trying to do...

Yea Both

User Info Menu

I sit playing acoustic most times, and stand playing electric most times.

User Info Menu

If I have a choice I much prefer to sit.

User Info Menu

when I play solo, I sit.

in my trio, I always stand

duets, I prefer to sit, but whatever you want to do, I will do the same.

when I play bass, I always stand

and naturally, when I play classical guitar, I always sit, but I use one of those leg cushions rather than a footstool

User Info Menu

I used to stand, but I realized that I always sit when I practice. So now I sit all the time.

User Info Menu

Really depends on the gig. I ain't gigging much at all right now, so it's sit, at home

User Info Menu

99% of time I prefer to stand. I like to move when Im playing. Whether it fits with the jazz tradition or not is not a concern, but when I see a small combo players sitting down, I tend to yawn. Pictures look boring too. Stand up and swing it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    99% of time I prefer to stand. I like to move when Im playing. Whether it fits with the jazz tradition or not is not a concern, but when I see a small combo players sitting down, I tend to yawn. Pictures look boring too. Stand up and swing it!
    I'd rather sound good than look good.

User Info Menu

I'll often start the standing, but will sit when my back tells me it's time. Varying my position seems to keep me more comfortable.