View Poll Results: Do you prefer to stand or sit when you play jazz?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to stand when I play

44 23.04%
  • I prefer to sit when I play jazz

147 76.96%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 128 of 128

User Info Menu

I don’t think there really is much mystery about Chet’s death. Like everything else about him, it has been romanticised by lots of people. The writer Jeroen de Valk spoke to the police inspector who handled the case, and in his book (Chet Baker, his life and music) lays out the evidence he found during the investigation. From all of this it seems highly likely that Chet simply fell out of the window by mistake while high.

The main points he covers are as follows:
    - the room was on the 3rd floor and was found to be locked from the inside. Any murderer would have had to climb in the window (and out again).
    - there were no signs of a struggle in the room.
    - the window sill was only knee-high.
    - the window was an old sash type, had been painted many times, and consequently could only be raised by 2 feet.
    - Chet left marks in the dust on the sill which showed he’d been sitting on the sill (it was an unusually warm night).
    - the window had a peg on a chain, used to hold it up by inserting it in the frame. The peg and part of the chain were on the ground next to Chet’s body. The window was found to be slammed shut again (because the peg had been pulled out).

Based on all of this, the police concluded that Chet had been sitting very awkwardly on the sill, leaning outwards, maybe nodding out with his head down, and simply lost his balance and fell, probably grabbing the chain and peg as he went.

It’s understandable that his wife and friends preferred to believe a less banal explanation.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I don’t think there really is much mystery about Chet’s death. Like everything else about him, it has been romanticised by lots of people. The writer Jeroen de Valk spoke to the police inspector who handled the case, and in his book (Chet Baker, his life and music) lays out the evidence he found during the investigation. From all of this it seems highly likely that Chet simply fell out of the window by mistake while high.

The main points he covers are as follows:
    - the room was on the 3rd floor and was found to be locked from the inside. Any murderer would have had to climb in the window (and out again).
    - there were no signs of a struggle in the room.
    - the window sill was only knee-high.
    - the window was an old sash type, had been painted many times, and consequently could only be raised by 2 feet.
    - Chet left marks in the dust on the sill which showed he’d been sitting on the sill (it was an unusually warm night).
    - the window had a peg on a chain, used to hold it up by inserting it in the frame. The peg and part of the chain were on the ground next to Chet’s body. The window was found to be slammed shut again (because the peg had been pulled out).

Based on all of this, the police concluded that Chet had been sitting very awkwardly on the sill, leaning outwards, maybe nodding out with his head down, and simply lost his balance and fell, probably grabbing the chain and peg as he went.

It’s understandable that his wife and friends preferred to believe a less banal explanation.
    whoah. Opened this thread after months, and this post was on a new page by itself. Posture, Chet, ... 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    Chris Hadfield, strapless in space.

Shame about the singing.
    I was actually pleasantly surprised. The lower octave singing (more so the phrasing) was probably the worst part. As a singer myself, I'd be surprised for anyone to point that part out as the more difficult aspect. Definitely could have been worse, limiting for individuals who've been to the ISS .. and who are also willing to shoot that video.

Honestly, the most underwhelming thing was the acoustic guitar break. It's a little difficult for casual players, but that palm mute just makes it. Maybe, if the guitar had not been shown floating/spinning so much previous to the lick... LOL. Kind of just caught me off guard.

Anyway, I thought that the amazing visuals and the lens flares compensated for most of it. That acoustic riff slightly interrupted the otherworldly vibe and brought me back to earth momentarily.

Cool idea anyway.

User Info Menu

Do you sit or stand when performing?

Not telling you, it's private