The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to stand or sit when you play jazz?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to stand when I play

50 22.73%
  • I prefer to sit when I play jazz

170 77.27%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 148

User Info Menu

I didn't think of both. But I guess the questions was not so much do you do both or whatever is appropriate but rather what you prefer. I was thinking of preference as being a either or, not both.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I sit...... usually on a stool for jazz and stand for rock and country..or blues
    But since your question was addressed to jazz....I sit.

User Info Menu

Interesting poll. I tend to sit when I play Jazz, it seems the proper thing to do. Fusion must be played stood up though

User Info Menu

I stand.

I just sit too much in general... at home I'm mostly sitting, at work I'm mostly sitting.

When I play guitar I like to stand whether I'm practicing or performing. I think it's good for my back to stand more often.

At my place of work, some people are getting their desks raised so they can work while standing. It's apparently better for your health.
    Last edited by fep; 04-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

It is much better for your back to stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    I have a bar-stool (one that folds flat for easy transport, great idea!); so does the double-bassist in that duo and it's more appropriate for that ambience.
    What's the make/model of your folding bar stool?

User Info Menu

I always had to stand. If I had to stand then so does everyone else under 50 years old. Everyone. Unless they're legitimately handicapped or something.

User Info Menu

I usually crouch behind the nearest piece of sturdy furniture. (I'm not so good at this guitar stuff yet.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I always had to stand. If I had to stand then so does everyone else under 50 years old. Everyone. Unless they're legitimately handicapped or something.
    So you have to stand if you're under 50? Whew. I'm ok. I can still sit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    So you have to stand if you're under 50? Whew. I'm ok. I can still sit.
    Just kidding Henry. I just never expected to go down standing up.

No rest for the wicked they say
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Outside of previous problems in the back or legs or feet, standing is better for one's health, and better for the audience. Even some classical players are starting to stand, especially if there isn't a raised stage, so that the audience can see the fingers.

User Info Menu

I think everyone in a big band should stand, just so the trumpet players won't feel so special.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-11-2013 at 03:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm 68, and in general a bit worn out so I prefer to sit. I've never played a jazz gig where I had to stand but I do practice standing at times. I play a L5 CES and like it well tucked up. I use a drummers throne and being 6'6" find it puts my guitar into my preferred position quite well. Also, I like that the seat slides off the pedestal and the pedestal folds up to make for easy transport.

The stool was given to me as a gift and there is no name on it. I know it was one of the more inexpensive models.

User Info Menu

Eileen.........
    haw haw haw

User Info Menu

With a big band I will sit on a chair, but when I'm in a combo setting I will stand. If I am doing a duet with a singer, I will most likely be sitting on a stool/chair.
    I practice sitting with a strap, so the transition from sitting to standing is easy, and I dont have to change my technique that much.

User Info Menu

If you are strapped to the chair, how do you stand up?? OK, I'm sorry, I could not help it.

User Info Menu

Both.

User Info Menu

Both, but I probably mostly sit while practicing. I just recently adjusted my strap so that the guitar sits even higher - it's better in every way except picking the low fat E string...for that my right shoulder feels tense...and makes the transition to standing even easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Both, but I probably mostly sit while practicing.
    Me, too, pretty much. Sit when I'm home because I don't have a lot of floor space in my practice area, too many guitars and amps on the floor . Gigs I stand because I also sing and I feel it's better for the voice support to stand. Practice with my trio, usually stand except when working on new arrangements for some reason.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Sorry, I never replied to this. I bought it from IKEA.

FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable - birch veneer/silver-colour, 63 cm - IKEA#

Bought it in a sale for £15, which kind of compensated a little for the sheer tedium of shopping in the flat-pack hell that is IKEA.

User Info Menu

I have a strong tendency to sit whilst playing the guitar in nearly almost setting, unless of course I am in a quartet with a bassist lead instrumentalist other than myself and a bassist, then I just feel awkward sitting.

I honestly believe it is more intimate, as the guitar was conjured to be.

User Info Menu

As long as we are all sitting down (well, mostly) I'll re-ask a question i dropped into another thread. If you are playing a Tele, or other small-bodied guitar, which leg do you rest it on?

I find it easier to put it on the "wrong" leg (left leg -- and I am right handed). My gut gets in the way when going for the higher frets if it is resting on my right leg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I find it easier to put it on the "wrong" leg (left leg -- and I am right handed). My gut gets in the way when going for the higher frets if it is resting on my right leg
    That's how most of the classical guys put it, I wouldn't say it's wrong.

I use left leg for my classical, and usually right for my electrics btw.

User Info Menu

I can't tilt the guitar back enough to see the strings and frets properly when I'm standing. This is due entirely to my absolute beginner level of playing.

User Info Menu

I will do what the situation calls for. Usually sitting but I like standing more.