The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 311 of 311

User Info Menu

Floating hand rest stroke picking is one way to get around the need to anchor. It does work with a completely floating hand. But that’s not alternate picking....

Regardless of one’s technical approach players have to work out how to balance single notes and chords.... with acoustic playing that can be a real challenge, but Bluegrass players seem to be able to do it with a variety of approaches.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Floating hand rest stroke picking is one way to get around the need to anchor. It does work with a completely floating hand. But that’s not alternate picking....

Regardless of one’s technical approach players have to work out how to balance single notes and chords.... with acoustic playing that can be a real challenge, but Bluegrass players seem to be able to do it with a variety of approaches.

Yes, these things have concerned me as well. I notice Roy Clark uses a different grip during chord work, and that's fair. I like the sound during single-string picking when you hold the pick fairly parallel with the string, i.e. not angling it. Roy solves this while anchoring to the bridge by holding the pick with the pads of his fingers. But it's not exactly ideal or required for chord work.

User Info Menu

Molly Tuttle has to pick closer to the bridge especially on big dreadnoughts due to where she plants her hand. It so happens to be the case that near the bridge attack suits her style. But having to hover around the bridge during fast runs can be more undesirable for other players. It's hard to imagine Pat Martino having to always pick near the bridge for example. Besides tonal variations of picking areas on guitar is one of the important expressive elements of the instrument.
    Most people start playing electric/acoustic guitar with some sort of anchored technique since it helps precision in the beginning. Once they get more advanced, some people see no reason to change, others find it limiting and explore floating techniques. I made the transition to floating technique years ago when I felt my right hand was constricted with anchoring. I didn't even know anchoring was considered "bad" by many. I'm very happy with the results. It took me about a week to start getting comfortable with floating technique, it's not that hard. Most people who prefer floating has fully learned both techniques and made an informed decision. I have a feeling that's not as true for most people who anchor. That said, I think, anchoring players gradually loosen up their contact with the guitar as their picking improves.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-20-2018 at 05:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Sheryl bailey anchors too, saw her live. One of the baddest modi's I've seen live.

User Info Menu

Based on this video, I wouldn't consider her technique as anchoring. Her right hand is very loose, not firmly planted as a pivot point:

User Info Menu

Yeah she probably anchors less than I do i that position.

Picking impetus comes from wrist oscillation and rotation. Classic Benson picking... But then she studied with Rodney Jones. They all play like that - Miles Okazaki is another one. And they can all BURN.

An example of picking pedagogy that actually works!

User Info Menu

It's been posted many times, possibly even on this thread. But it's always worth linking to this article on picking in general and Benson's in particulars:

How To Play Like Benson & Santana: The Counterintuitive Picking Technique That Transformed My Guitar Playing - Fretboard Anatomy

User Info Menu

Interesting article. I'm very attached to hybrid picking. Benson picking seems to be incompatible with that. The author didn't list it as one of the disadvantages. May be I missed something, somewhere in the middle he was saying he'll discuss hybrid picking in the context of Benson technique but I didn't see the discussion.
    The author seems to be convinced that Benson picking is objectively superior to any plectrum technique under the sun. That's an extra ordinary claim, that for sure.
    Also he could barely run 5 miles no matter how hard he tried, than he got this shoe as a result he ran a marathon fairly effortlessly despite training significantly less than anybody else. Fascinating.
    His description of the Benson technique with the visuals and all is very well done though.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a pain for hybrid. Possible, but not so comfortable. OTOH - lute players use this underhand picking style for finger picking so maybe it's just that it's unfamiliar.

Seriously I kind of think Benson technique (in so far as I use it, I use a sort of variant) probably IS superior to any other technique for jazz, at least for single string playing, in so much as it ticks a lot of boxes. I've tried quite a few of them.

IMO it is more flexible than Gypsy style picking, losing out a little in acoustic projection. The main reason I like it though is the TONE it produces. Which in my case is going more towards the Adam Rogers thing - smooth onset to notes, nice sustain - rather than the snappy George Benson thing.

Then I want a swingy twangy sound I revert to GJ picking. It's quite good for keeping the two things separate..

Anyway, plenty of great players obviously DON'T use it. But it's great advantage is that it works really well, and it is clearly teachable. So that's a definite tick in the box.

BTW - the authority for this piece was based on Tuck Andress's article. Andress makes a compelling case. And of course, Benson's playing speaks for itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Y The main reason I like it though is the TONE it produces. Which in my case is going more towards the Adam Rogers thing - smooth onset to notes, nice sustain - rather than the snappy George Benson thing.
    Article mentions that Sheryl Bailey also switched to Benson picking for tone. It seems like it mimics fingerstyle tones more closely than other techniques. Apoyando on the down beats, tirando on the upbeats
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Andreas Varady - anchors lightly on top-

I recommend this ( TOP LIGHT SUPPORT like Varady ) because you already have elbow support, then you have wrist support , base of thumb support a bit if needed.

>>>>>>Very Nice of them to post that for you-
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-26-2018 at 03:28 PM.