The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I know I've posted way too much on this subject... but some more of the obvious. So I'm guessing.. the building speed is to be able to perform tunes that are at faster tempos... or just to burn over slow tunes with faster improve. Or even to be able to phrase and articulate slower lines more in the groove. So we're basically talking about physically playing faster, right.

Just another aspect... I've always believed you need to think and hear fast also. Play through whatever tune, pick one you know...but at mm 300. Can you play whole notes comfortably, half notes, quarters etc.

Most players have difficulty just with the time... whether they play or not. You won't develop this skill playing slowly. So yes practice your technique veerryyy slllloowwwllllyyy.... and gradually pick up the speed. Is that actually working on technique or building speed? To me it's technique... the beat it into yourself until you can force any technique to work method. Anyway... just so everyone's happy go through this traditional teaching method.... but also put a little time into trashing what your trying to play... but at Fast tempos. Get to where you can be aware of where the time is... faster tempo time and try and hang on. Same thing you'll eventually get comfortable. Then clean up what your playing with technique that works with actual faster playing.

Most players that play slow... continue to play slow, not good or bad. But if your goal is building speed...

Reg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3625
    Don't know that track Randall, I'll see if anyone I know has it so I can check it out, cheers
    Building Speed on the Guitar-11848967_120718092805-jpg

five star

User Info Menu

Yeah, practice slowly and gradually increase the speed with the metronome. Practice things you want to actually play.
    This is just basic scale runs with an Art Tatum idea at the end, ascending sextuplets.

User Info Menu

So I guess the ultimate goal is speed for speed's sake. I'm surprised they don't make a shred guitar with a built in speedometer.

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 03-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

He plays pretty good for a Hobbit

User Info Menu

The ultimate goal is whatever you want it to be

User Info Menu

Thousands of hours on the instrument helps!

User Info Menu

"Speed is a byproduct of accuracy" I read somewhere.
    It is but a oneliner, but it does tell me what to focus on

User Info Menu

I got faster by changing my picking technique. For years I thought my left hand wasn't fast enough but it was my right hand that was lagging. While I don't have elite speed(I don't practice enough) I can play plenty fast enough. I have a DR 888 and I crank it up and try to keep up when I'm fooling around.