The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BARTS
    Pick grip should be firm and comfortable. I use dunlop or rough sand the bit I hold . I find that too loose a grip lets the pick lean over before letting the string sound (late). From what i can see of George Benson he seems to be using a small hard pick and a free floating wrist action too achieve his speed and attack.
    Barts
    GB uses a Fender Medium but strikes the string on an acute angle.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Who says you have to do it one way?

Also, I'm not familiar with the term "double picking." Do you mean alternate picking?

"A lot of different jazz guitarists take different approaches to the right hand. Rest stroke, alternate, economy, hybird, fingerstyle, etc".
    Precisely, and there is a method to how it is taught, albeit rarely taught. Strict 100% alternate picking is for heavy metal. Trying to cut everything for jazz will result in train wrecks and some stiff lines. It's approx. 75% alternate, not 100%. And about 25% consecutive, slurs and ornamental. Yet, evryone does what they choose to do in the end. It remains a matter of physics when problems are encountered.

TD

User Info Menu

Whatever method gives you the sound you want. In the movie Cracking The Code, a video camera was attached to different world class players guitars, to see how they picked. Mike Stern was almost 100% alternate picking, picking every single note without slurs, hammers,etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    Whatever method gives you the sound you want. In the movie Cracking The Code, a video camera was attached to different world class players guitars, to see how they picked. Mike Stern was almost 100% alternate picking, picking every single note without slurs, hammers,etc.
    Yeah . . man!! Couldn't agree more. The last thing I want to think about when I'm playing is picking technique. It needs to feel totally natural to me . . . . and I have no desire at this stage of my guitar playing life to start to break in a new technique and work with it long enough that it no longer feels "un-natural". I can automatically alter pick orientation, grip, attack etc., to achieve the dynamic changes I need to, or want to . . including pinch harmonics. I'm sure what I have now can be improved upon . . . but, why bother when I'm satisfied with what I've got??

Joe Pass once said, in an interview . . . "I look to makle everything I do or play . . easier". If it's hard to do, I change it so that it isn't." I like that philosophy!!!

Yes, and that's great for you. However, there are guitarists who would like to improve upon the picking technique (have physics work for them and not against them, and not have to succumb to any deficit) and so, they are willing to put in the work towards achieving it. They do not have to "think" about it on a gig, for example, but thinking and doing a little each day at home can eventually hit the mark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DeCaprio
    Yes, and that's great for you. However, there are guitarists who would like to improve upon the picking technique (have physics work for them and not against them, and not have to succumb to any deficit) and so, they are willing to put in the work towards achieving it. They do not have to "think" about it on a gig, for example, but thinking and doing a little each day at home can eventually hit the mark.
    Yup! No disagreement from me on any of that. Kinda goes back to some back n forth friendly discourse between me and jorge on another thread. It's all really a matter of just how far one wants to go to the level of mastery . . as well as what one's concept and perceptions of mastery actually are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    I would also suggest that you practice with the amp as much as possible. Wes Montgomery always did. An electric guitar and amp are the complete instrument. If you only practice with half the instrument you may find youself digging in more with the pick than is necessary in a playing situation. Practicing with the amp, even at low volume, levels the field and allows you to become more consistent in your execution.
    This is something I discovered by trial and error. Mostly error. I used to practice unplugged a lot. So as not to disturb others, but sometimes just because I was too lazy to set up and plug. I found that I was picking a lot heavier than necessary when I plugged in to jam or gig to the point it would take me a few passes a tune or two to get the right feel. Not good. Now I just close the door to my practice room and play with the amp at a normal level, or at least use head phones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robby27
    This is something I discovered by trial and error. Mostly error. I used to practice unplugged a lot. So as not to disturb others, but sometimes just because I was too lazy to set up and plug. I found that I was picking a lot heavier than necessary when I plugged in to jam or gig to the point it would take me a few passes a tune or two to get the right feel. Not good. Now I just close the door to my practice room and play with the amp at a normal level, or at least use head phones.

Well I always say that a few years of NOT practicing through an amp actually improved my technique by forcing me to sound musical without one. My dynamics became FAR more expressive. The trick of course, is to then find an amp sound that represents your greater dynamics....

User Info Menu

I've never thought about it quite that way. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robby27
    I've never thought about it quite that way. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks.
    Yeah, I thought about why most jazz guitarists sound "boring" compared to other instruments (well, according to non guitarists, apparently...), and then I thought, "hang on, Django, C Christian, Benson... these guys aren't boring!"....

Greater dynamics! think about it, they can smash those strings! But in a controlled expressive way. Most horn players have way more dynamics than us, time to fight back!!!

User Info Menu

Wes was a prime example of what you've pointed out. The dynamics predominate. It's the thing you notice most about his playing. Hits you like a ton of bricks. Big strong hands and a heavy-strung axe and emotion to burn. I'll give your suggestion of working on dynamics unplugged a serious try.

User Info Menu

Hesitated to mention Wes - not being a "picker", but yeah, different kinda dynamics, beautiful, exciting, everything!

Alas, us mere mortals can't really hope to emulate his whole schtick, even if we swapped to the thumb for 20 years! :0