The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I'm an advocate of the angle. If the pick were held flat to the string then either you need to go further before the string pings off it, or tilt the pick down towards the floor for upward picks and up towards the ceiling for downward picks for the string to roll off (far too much excess movement for the hand / fingers), or use a miniscule area at the tip of the pick.

Tilting the pick forward a bit, around 20 degrees. This way the string can slip off the curved / pointed edge of the tip of the pick, and not need to move within your grip making for minimal movement. Not Jazz but as you can see from this clip he tilts his pick forwards (while the camera angle is below the guitar)...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggio
    I'm an advocate of the angle. If the pick were held flat to the string then either you need to go further before the string pings off it, or tilt the pick down towards the floor for upward picks and up towards the ceiling for downward picks for the string to roll off (far too much excess movement for the hand / fingers), or use a miniscule area at the tip of the pick.

Tilting the pick forward a bit, around 20 degrees. This way the string can slip off the curved / pointed edge of the tip of the pick, and not need to move within your grip making for minimal movement. Not Jazz but as you can see from this clip he tilts his pick forwards (while the camera angle is below the guitar)...

Yeah there's really some solid reasoning behind that. If it's comfortable for you to hold thew pick that way, what the heck?

User Info Menu

i have been paying attention to my angle here lately mostly for tone not speed (for i have given up on speed, i dont have it), but i have noticed that i do have a slight angle and on a down stroke i hit one edge and on the up stroke i hit the other, so the wear on the picks are caddy corner not one the same half of the the pic if you can envision that, has anyone else noticed this with there stroke of the pick

User Info Menu

If I understand you correctly, I use that wear pattern to check if my angle is consistent (I try to make up strokes sound the same as downstrokes, unless im accenting). I don't obsess over it, but I look at it once in a while.

User Info Menu

Look at Clint Strong picking technique.
    easy up and down....:-) just practise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Look at Clint Strong picking technique.
    easy up and down....:-) just practise
    Look where? :-)

User Info Menu

Interesting thoughts Srinjay, thanks!

User Info Menu

I need to work on my plectrum playing, myself. Been playing JAZZ with my thumb for many years (get around pretty quick too) and I want to get faster, so, I am picking up a pick again..and choosing lines that I like from other players, along with ones I think up myself..and going slow. Making sure the up strokes and down strokes sound indistinguishable from each other and the timing is right -on.
    If you get that happening you do not have to worry about how you are holding your pick, as long as you follow the basic guidelines; Between your thumb and 1st finger is a good place to start.
    Then, you just continue playing these lines, over and over and over and..
    e v e n t u a l y.. you will be playing these lines fast and flawlessly.