The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 135 of 135

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    The idea that "it's all good" is a fallacy. There is an ergonomically correct way to pick a guitar; we just haven't identified it yet.
    Monk - I think different picking scenarios have different "perfect grips." For example, sweeping up vs sweeping down vs alternating crossing strings vs picking on one string vs economy picking vs...etc...for me, each of those situations is at its best with a slightly different grip and angle.

There might be an ergonomically corrrect way to pick a (or any) specific passage, but I think it will change from line to line or technique to technique.

Sorry to do this but...if there are any benson-pickers here who feel like they've come to great technical breakthroughs with the technique, I'd love to see video, or hear audio, just with some scales and arpeggios...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The idea that "it's all good" is a fallacy. There is an ergonomically correct way to pick a guitar; we just haven't identified it yet.
    I don't believe there is a "ergonomically correct way to pick a guitar" for everyone. I really believe its personal - and just by watching YouTube videos is easy to see how thing change from player. Its the same on the left hand actually... But "effortless" is essential - injuries usually come from tense picking situations.

User Info Menu

You have no way of knowing how many of the people you are referencing will end up with some type of repetitive stress injury. Many of them will.

People who play well with poor technique do so in spite of their technique not because of it.

People used to believe the earth was flat. There are people who believe that men have never walked on the moon. Some people believe in ghosts and fairies. Some people believe that politicians all have our best interests at heart.

Believe what you like.

User Info Menu

People who play well with poor technique do so in spite of their technique not because of it.
    But as you said, plectrum technique is a relatively new thing. No one has really determined what is proper technique yet. So far there is only speculation.

So, for right now, those that you consider to have poor pick technique...some of them may be on to something. Steve Morse, for example, developed a very unique picking grip for himself, and he can pretty much alternate pick anything he wants.

User Info Menu

A lot of guys have been playing for years and years and have no injury what so ever. Most players I know have different ways of picking and some have very good technique. Find something that works for you that's stress free and focus on more important things.

People used to believe the earth was flat. There are people who believe that men have never walked on the moon. Some people believe in ghosts and fairies. Some people believe that politicians all have our best interests at heart.

Believe what you like.
    What is exactly the point of this? This could be written for any argument... I am not defending old vs new I just have a different opinion from yours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I don't believe there is a "ergonomically correct way to pick a guitar" for everyone. I really believe its personal - and just by watching YouTube videos is easy to see how thing change from player. Its the same on the left hand actually... But "effortless" is essential - injuries usually come from tense picking situations.
    I agree with that.

Check bowing techniques for double bass they have more than one school on that and it's been like that for quite some time.

Jens

Jack, I took a Benson picking lesson with Tuck a couple of months ago, and it clarified a lot of stuff I was unable to get from the article and videos of Benson. Also found this video valuable:

User Info Menu

I use pick and fingers for a hybrid style, and when I turn the wrist for the Benson approach, I can't do the hybrid thing.

I am interested in learning more about the rest stroke aspect of the Benson style. Is this explained or demonstrated somewhere where I could check it out? I can't quite get how you can make the pick come to rest on the next string when playing very fast lines.

User Info Menu

I'm still trying to make it my main style of single line picking, but being I play flip in and out of hybrid picking I sometime revert the non-benson. When my note definition starts to fade I can usually see I'm not Benson picking and rotate to it and definition returns. So many years of other picking to break habit of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR
    I use pick and fingers for a hybrid style, and when I turn the wrist for the Benson approach, I can't do the hybrid thing.

I am interested in learning more about the rest stroke aspect of the Benson style. Is this explained or demonstrated somewhere where I could check it out? I can't quite get how you can make the pick come to rest on the next string when playing very fast lines.
    I dont use benson picking. But i did make the switch too economy and id like to get the rest stroke aspect working better as well when playing fast lines. it is hard to get it clean for some reason.