The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Dammit! Sliced the callus off my lefthand middle finger, doing the dinner. Didn't cut myself as such-no blood-just took the callus off-it's hanging on by about a third of the callus width. What to do? Do I just whip it off and start to build a new one? Cover it with a bandaid and hope it heals (it shouldn't heal, right? It's dead skin, isn't it?) Superglue? Not gigging till Saturday, T.G., as it's Easter and everything closes Good Friday-all the pubs and hotels etc.
    Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    ...Any ideas?
    Good evening, Bill...
    Sorry to hear that; consider yourself lucky and let your wife do the carving..! Could have been much worse.
    Carefully remove the 'dead skin' (you're right, it won't heal back...). If the skin is tender below, you'll want to protect it somewhat for at least a few days when playing, but leave it exposed to the air whilst not playing, to harden up, and let the new skin establish itself. Protection for playing is unconfortable (Band-aid...), as you lose the 'touch' of the string. Practise a bit beforehand so as to adapt as best.
    Once the gigging urgency has past, and the skin back to 'normal', it's just a question of slowly building back to where you were.
    No silver bullet, I'm afraid, so I agree... Dammit..!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cheers, Guys, and thanks for your wisdom, Douglas!! I'm going to nip out and get some of that liquid skin, Randall-looks like the bee's knees!

User Info Menu

Just don't try and pull it off. You'll run the risk of yanking off some good uncalloused skin. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I've had similar experiences and the fingers turn out just fine. You'll be back to your old self before you know it. Just don't do the cooking anymore. I don't even set out my own breakfast cereal. Do you know what damage you can do to your hands with a table spoon? I can't even think about it.

User Info Menu

LOL!! The visual of hurting yourself with a tablespoon is brilliant!
    Unfortunately, with my wife undergoing chemo, I'm doing everything in the house this year (and happy to do it, I might add!). I might sue her oncologist and surgeon, though-they told me that she wasn't to do anything apart from get better this year! I'd settle for a years salary from each of them-that's their salary, now-not mine!!

User Info Menu

HFC-too late!!! I gave it a little tug. It's not really sore, but in a couple of days I think it'll be OK to play on-I've good healing skin. Here's a pic-see the callus? Sick, huh!!

User Info Menu

hilarious in its own right. i cook professionally, a chef on the board!

the worst is when you slice through the nail tip into the underlying connective skin, that's a long heal and fretting is rather painful. this type of injury reminds me of when i started using a whet stone to sharpen my knives. i wound up sanding the skin down to the raw flesh similar to yours, then having to touch and check the doneness of a steak on a hot grill. you quickly learn how to play just using the other digits...

a quick culinary jazz tune, happy cooking

User Info Menu

HFC-too late!!! I gave it a little tug. It's not really sore, but in a couple of days I think it'll be OK to play on-I've good healing skin. Here's a pic-see the callus? Sick, huh!!
    AAARRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!! Make it stop! Make it stop! That's gonna be sore in the morning.
    I remember when I caught my finger in a hedge cutter while I was trying to cut one branch the was sticking out. Man, did that thing bleed. I couldn't touch the fretboard for at least a week.

User Info Menu

Is that a callus? It looks like you've stuck your finger up your nose and was so astounded by what you've found that you had to take a picture....! Ha ha ha ha

Seriously though all the best for the wife, may she have a speedy recovery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Is that a callus? It looks like you've stuck your finger up your nose and was so astounded by what you've found that you had to take a picture....! Ha ha ha ha

Seriously though all the best for the wife, may she have a speedy recovery.
    LOL! There's things found up my nose that defy imagination!
    Cheers for your good wishes for Kath! Poor thing has had a tough old year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    AAARRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!! Make it stop! Make it stop! That's gonna be sore in the morning.
    I remember when I caught my finger in a hedge cutter while I was trying to cut one branch the was sticking out. Man, did that thing bleed. I couldn't touch the fretboard for at least a week.
    Well-it's morning now-it's not sore, just a little tender. I'll not play today at all, or tomorrow, and I'll have a small practice on the Strat on Friday-I'll use that for the weekend and holiday Monday. Maybe put some 9's on there for this one week.

User Info Menu

Well-it's morning now-it's not sore, just a little tender. I'll not play today at all, or tomorrow, and I'll have a small practice on the Strat on Friday-I'll use that for the weekend and holiday Monday. Maybe put some 9's on there for this one week.
    Sounds like a plan. You should be back to normal in a week. I hope the wife gets to feeling better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Sounds like a plan. You should be back to normal in a week. I hope the wife gets to feeling better.
    Yep-she's on the "good week" of the chemo cycle. So good, in fact, that she was able to look out of the lounge window and notice that the grass could do with a cut, and the hedging could be pruned, and the back gate was a bit wonky. Back to normal, I'd say. Ho hum-better get on with it, I suppose, if I want to get it done before the ironing!!

User Info Menu

Yep-she's on the "good week" of the chemo cycle. So good, in fact, that she was able to look out of the lounge window and notice that the grass could do with a cut, and the hedging could be pruned, and the back gate was a bit wonky. Back to normal, I'd say. Ho hum-better get on with it, I suppose, if I want to get it done before the ironing!!
    Just watch out for the fingers. You don't want any of them getting lost on the lawn somewhere.

User Info Menu

Got some of that stuff Randall recommended today-our version of it. Jeez-it's great stuff. I was tempted to put a load of it on and build up the callus, but decided just to put the recommended amount on.

User Info Menu

...she wasn't to do anything...
    Good evening, Bill...
    Hmmphhh..! My better half doesn't need any telling for this...
    ...apart from get better this year...
    Surely impossible... One cannot improve upon perfection... Getting cured..? Certainly, and as fast as possible. Getting better..? Can't be done. (I know, I have the same at home. Wouldn't swap her for gold bars...).
    I'll leave you now, you've fences to mend.
    Enjoy the Easter week-end, and keep that finger clean...

User Info Menu

I know all about mending fences-wooden or otherwise!!
    Have a great Easter weekend, all those who celebrate it. If you don't celebrate it-just have a great weekend.

User Info Menu

Don't callus, we'll callyou.

User Info Menu

Started playing again today. Man-it was really sore. I just kept going for a couple of hours, went and had my dinner, and when I went back to it, it wasn't so bad at all. I'm going to just noodle around for a few hours tonight as there's no gigs with all the pubs closes, and hopefully all will be well for tomorrow night and the rest of Easter.

User Info Menu

Good to hear things are getting back to normal.

User Info Menu

I played guitar so much that i literaly shreded my finger callus. It stinks because my finger callus grows so slow.

User Info Menu

I can no longer play an upright bass due to a moment's inattention while steeling a chef's knife (severed the tendon in my left index finger). Even after extensive PT, it just stops working after about fifteen minutes of upright play.

Fortunately, I can play electric bass all night still, and have no problems with acoustic guitars. But I miss my bass.

All that to say, be careful, knives are sharp, and I'm glad you're ok.