The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 110

User Info Menu

Scofield uses it aaaaaall the time

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was talking to someone about tradition of styles and used this very example. Jazz is a style thats been developed without bends, when you stray you start going into other styles really, which may be a version of jazz or just your own style. If you are going for the same sound than bends wont work, but it's about your sound in the end.

Like someone here mentioned they arived at the decision not to bend strings on their own because it wasnt their sound.

User Info Menu

This thread has got me thinking. I do bend strings when playing in a pop/rock context, but I instinctively tend to slur in a jazz context instead. However, I also find that I use pre-bends more often than bends in a jazz context. The traditional players who do bend strings - Charlie Christian, Herb Ellis, Howard Roberts, George Benson come to mind - tend to do mostly half-step bends to add a bluesy inflection, I think. Anyway, as others have said, it's all about your own unique voice.

What about vibrato? I - again instinctively - do it differently in different contexts: The string-bending across-the-fingerboard style for rock/blues and the 'violin' style for jazz. Then there's the question of whether to start the vibrato right on the attack or wait a split-second and then 'wiggle' it. (I've heard this referred to as the American vs. the British style ... Huh?!) Fortunately, I don't (think I) think about this stuff when I play, I just do it!
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 09-11-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add comment about vibrato

User Info Menu

I just can't understand people who are so restricted by rules.
    Jazz is an art form. Art is about personal expression.

Tell Bird or Miles not to bend a note.

User Info Menu

If you want to bend notes it's up to you actually in case you didn't realized. It's just that it will sound to a specific way that maybe it's not what you wanted.

User Info Menu

I was listening to some Barney Kessel from the 50s today, and he sure did bend 'em. And he was, of course, from the same tradition as his fellow Oklahoman, Charlie Christian.

In addition to bending, however, you also slides and let's not forget slurs (which in rock guitar terminology is known as the dreaded *Hammer on*) Perfectly acceptable musical device. Also ok to use bottleneck/glass slides at times. Why not?

The musical raison d'etre: to help make your instrument truly sing, mate approximate the sound of the human voice.

User Info Menu

yup. in a nutshell.

i find string bending to be one of those tricky little things like octaves that everyone thinks they can pull off but few do very well.

for example, the "blooze" band at the local pub last night who's resident stevie ray vaughan impersonator was consistently a soulless 1/4 step sharp on every friggin' bend. and oh did he bend. man the crap i'll deal with for free beer.,

User Info Menu

good discussion, thanks !

I think bending sounds great in a jazz tune, but it's personal/subjective.

Lately I have been applying some "bend" to the string on every note, whether a chromatic riff, or an arpeggio.

an fairly imperceptible amount of pressure on the string, tuning wise, but the result is that I am getting a much better sounding note out of the amp. don't know why, but it's working well for me.

when I think of bending in jazz other than guitar players, I think of Johnny Hodges. beautiful.

But you all know what charlie parker said:

"learn the changes, then forget about them"

User Info Menu

Django Reinhardt did also some bending.

And in general I think in a jazz context nothing is inapropiate as long as it makes sense.

I myself though have a hard time to use it in a way that I like it.

Sometimes when its used to get in- or outside chromatically it can be quite nice. Then it kind of does a smoother transition between in- and outside.

User Info Menu

if the early gtrs didn't have such thick strings with savage action, maybe bending would be the tradition, speaking of Django, his clnt/sax player Andre Ekyan had a bend in every phrase and swings like a m*therf*cker, transcribed for guitar it's such fun to play, and sounds nothing like blues/rock. If a new young champion of jazz gtr came along bending strings in an exciting way, we'd all be kicking ourselves for not thinking to include them as part of our own bag......
    Last edited by princeplanet; 10-01-2009 at 01:39 AM.

User Info Menu

There's no reason guitar players shouldn't bend in a jazz context. Take any Charlie Parker or Cannonball Adderley recording and slow it down to half speed, listen to their attack on each note. I'll personally guarantee that at least 1 note in every 10 will feature some kind of pitch bending. It's easier to bend on sax than it is on guitar, even... Just a little extra pressure on the embouchoure, or a relaxing of the jaw is all you need to do to change the pitch generated by the reed. Bending is huge part of many of the greats' styles- guitarist or otherwise.
    Last edited by gravitas; 10-01-2009 at 12:18 AM.

User Info Menu

one obvious reason is, its hard to bend a .13s strings others can coz they have strong fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I was listening to some Barney Kessel from the 50s today, and he sure did bend 'em. And he was, of course, from the same tradition as his fellow Oklahoman, Charlie Christian.

In addition to bending, however, you also slides and let's not forget slurs (which in rock guitar terminology is known as the dreaded *Hammer on*) Perfectly acceptable musical device. Also ok to use bottleneck/glass slides at times. Why not?

The musical raison d'etre: to help make your instrument truly sing, mate approximate the sound of the human voice.
    Yes, the ultimate musical instrument, the human voice.

I agree completely with this post.

And Barney Kessel is for me the most hard driving, swinging, who cares about mistakes, going for it guitar player.

User Info Menu

My archtop has a bridge that is adverse to bending beyond a half step. I like to prebend, esspecially in the modern context, when its not hoaky 2-4 beat bass and drums. On my tele, esspecially if we are playing fast latin, for example, i will throw on the O.D. a little reverb and go bananas. Its all about context, prefernce, and the audience.

Although, I am in a agreement with many people here, the precision of the bend is critical. Tune and timing. Its really easy to get sloppy if you start bending all over the place.

User Info Menu

Jazzing-up a country tune can be fun. Using country techniques such as pedal steel emulation bending to spice-up an old jazz standard can also be fun. Having the appropriate guitar and strings does help...

User Info Menu

Yeah, someone asked me to show them Larry Carlton type string bends. Well I could easily bend those 10's or so he had on his McCarty, but when he tried on his L5, that was not easily done! :-)

User Info Menu

Bending strings is an art in itself.
    As is straight jazz guitar.
    Now when they come together.....mmmmm...interesting.

User Info Menu

2 cents: If you like the sound you get and you can do it well in a jazz context, go ahead and use it. If not, not. There's no need for "camps" on the matter.

User Info Menu

Lately, I've realized that I've been using subtle slow bendy vibrato on single lines to emulate that thing that vibraphones do. I was sort of doing it without being aware of it. Of course, now that it's apparent to me, I've become self-conscious about it!

I've been wondering about string bending in jazz guitar. I know it's something that's frowned on and that you're not really "supposed" to do (unless you're playing fusion, that is) and I'm wondering why. It seems to me that bending and vibrato, if done tastefully, is one of the best ways to give the guitar the expressiveness of a horn.

I can understand if it's a physical limitation thing, but I usually use .11 and .12 flatwounds and have no problem bending a step and a half.

Anyway, I feel like the proper application of the technique can add a lot of depth to the performance, and if I'm going to offend purists by doing it then so be it, but I'm just wondering where the "anti-bending" rationale comes from

User Info Menu

Hi KC250,
    Not sure where you heard bending was frowned upon in jazz guitar. I heard many players do it.
    An example that comes to mind, is my favorite player, Ed Bickert. You'll find that he's very highly regarded here.
    Check out his solo on the tune "Just Squeeze Me" from the Paul Desmond album, Pure Desmond.
    Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Wes did it now and then.

Howard Roberts did it a lot...tough on those 16-60 gauge string he used.

User Info Menu

The string bending and heavy vibrato thing are frowned upon, "just because." It's just a style thing. If you want to sound "authentic" then you will limit your use of those effects.

I questioned my instructor about this a while ago when I was chastised for over-vibrato-ing. I pointed out the wide vibrato of Sidney Bechet, but was still told not to do it. I don't think there's much reason other than tradition.

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel bent plenty of notes, as did Herb Ellis.
    It adds a bluesy Charlie Christian feel sometimes when in pentatonic ideas (for me).
    Last edited by backliner; 10-15-2010 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on it: Bend if you want to. Don't worry about labels. I believe Miles once said, "First I'll play it; then I'll tell you what is."

I tend to slur rather than bend most of the time when I'm playing Jazz. I use 11's with a plain third, so I have have both options available. However, I love to do slow vibrato on long notes when I'm playing a ballad - sounds to me sort of like those little fluttery things at the top of the sound tubes on a vibraphone.

Play what you hear!