The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
    Question:

Some of the method material I've been looking at highly recommends using the pinky finger. I've been a Wes fanatic since childhood, but new to learning to play jazz.

I know some jazz players who rarely use the pinky, but most seem to use it frequently. As a newbie, I don't want to start any bad habits. Do any of you have a strong opinions on this? Can I get away with using the pinky most of the time?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why wouldn't you use it? It's just another weapon in your arsenal.

Not often that I need to. My 3rd finger stretches just fine. I do, on occasion use the pinky to bend notes, but rarely for runs.

Most books I've seen assume the use of the pinky more often.

User Info Menu

If you think in terms of "how many voices can I have moving?" instead of "runs", you will find that the pinky is no different than any other finger that lets you have at your disposal.

User Info Menu

It's very difficult to build technique without proper fingerings... your "pinky" is part of those fingerings. We are not talkin R&R, to play jazz you really need the best technique. Other styles of music use different styles of fingerings which help create those styles or sounds... Best Reg

User Info Menu

when it comes to playing chords, you're going to be quite limited if you don't use your pinky.

Sure, I use my pinky all the for chords. It's scales and licks that I'm concerned with related to pinky use.

For example, on Jimmy Bruno's site, he states that using the "correct" fingering is crucial (and uses third and fourth fingers to start most "shapes". If developing my use of the pinky really is important for jazz, then I'm going to practice "shapes" like Jimmy. But if it's possible to get away with only using in minimally (like Wes), then I won't invest the time in developing the muscle memory.

I appreciate all of your comments.

User Info Menu

I really don't understand your reticence towards using it.
    Could you explain?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steam-powered
    Sure, I use my pinky all the for chords. It's scales and licks that I'm concerned with related to pinky use.

For example, on Jimmy Bruno's site, he states that using the "correct" fingering is crucial (and uses third and fourth fingers to start most "shapes". If developing my use of the pinky really is important for jazz, then I'm going to practice "shapes" like Jimmy. But if it's possible to get away with only using in minimally (like Wes), then I won't invest the time in developing the muscle memory.

I appreciate all of your comments.
    Time spent on developing technique is a good investment. Why would you want to "get away" with avoiding something that will make you a better player?

That's my basic question, I guess: is it necessary to re-learn bad habits and change my fingering. I'm not against using my pinky, just that over the years I've only used the first three fingers most of the time.

I just got the Herb Ellis three-book series today. Started using the suggested fingering and it's gonna take awhile to develop new muscle memory, but it seems that most folks agree that it's worth the effort to unlearn some bad habits.

Thanks for all the feedback.

TommyD Guest
    Why would anybody want to voluntarily remove 25 percent of their entire left-hand out of their playing? Even if you can "get by" using three fingers, why would you want to?

tommy/

User Info Menu

the pinky is a very vital finger in playing the guitar, most especially when playing notes that are four frets apart.

User Info Menu

steam-powered: just do it. It won't take long to program the pinky into the system and in the long run it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fivebells
    steam-powered: just do it. It won't take long to program the pinky into the system and in the long run it will be worth it.
    I've been using the Herb Ellis three volume series which includes fingering. My pinky has been getting stronger this past week, building muscle memory. Slow but sure.

And fun. That's really the most important part. I knew learning jazz guitar would be tough, but it's so pleasing to make progress.

User Info Menu

Don't change You're routine practice, but add an excersize like this:
    ---------------------------------
    -----------3----5-----------------
    --------3----------5--------------
    -----3----------------5----------7--
    --3----------------------5---7------
    --------------------------------- etc.

for each string use differend finger and use swipping so only 1 finger at a time is touching the fretboard.

You will notice that in time You will chose more often the pinky... BTW it's good 4 the pentatonic

Quote Originally Posted by drobniuch
    Don't change You're routine practice, but add an excersize like this:
    ---------------------------------
    -----------3----5-----------------
    --------3----------5--------------
    -----3----------------5----------7--
    --3----------------------5---7------
    --------------------------------- etc.

for each string use differend finger and use swipping so only 1 finger at a time is touching the fretboard.

You will notice that in time You will chose more often the pinky... BTW it's good 4 the pentatonic
    What do you mean by "swipping". I've been trying to avoid a barred fingering and trying to figure out the best way to do exercises like the one here. Do you use the same finger?

Also, I've started using my pinky for pentatonic scales. Didn't take long to get used to using it (I thought it would take at least a year).