The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

I just had a DeArmond 1100 replica by Guild installed in my D'Angelico EXL-1 and there is a world of difference in the tone. It has more personality now and the sound is very clear. There is no hum or noise. I've read that people who have the original DeArmonds say the replicas are very close.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I "upgraded" the DeArmond RC 1000 that came on my new Guild A150 Savoy, to the model 1100 pup so I could have the latter's adjustable pole pieces.
    There is a difference. The 1000 seemed to be a bit more microphonic, and the 1100 better balanced.
    Of course, I eventually had to spring for the gold ha rdware upgrade as well, because the 1100 isn't available in nickel.
    No matter, I love this guitar!

User Info Menu

Listen to Kenny Burrell's sound with his D'A and a DeArmond 1100 on his recordings of the mid to late 60s, and that will tell you what was so good about the 1100. Zombie thread or not.

User Info Menu

Just arrived Saturday...Guild filled the order in 3 days!

It's going on a new 18" 3.5 deep bodied archtop...should be completed early next year.

User Info Menu

It is great that Guild finally started reproducing these pieces of most loved jazz history.

Sadly I don't have an archtop without a pickup at the moment. Would look a bit funny in ES-175 with humbucker!

But I have a bit problematic solid body guitar in which I have not found a right pu... Has anyone tried DeArmonds in solid bodies?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    ...But I have a bit problematic solid body guitar in which I have not found a right pu... Has anyone tried DeArmonds in solid bodies?
    I'll bet it would sound great on a solid body, but I doubt most solid bodies have enough clearance under the strings for it, plus the proper spacing between pickup and strings.

User Info Menu

DeArmond Monkey-on-a-Stick Reissue

Reviving a zombie thread yet again...

This jazz player/engineer in San Francisco is making the stick part of the Monkey-on-a-Stick. Sans control box, of course.

User Info Menu

So, What Was so Good about the DeArmond Rhythm Chief  Pickups?-1a8f837b-e7ef-44a5-8bd8-80005c56c4ae-jpeg

Midcentury, baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Venetian
    I've just got a guitar with a vintage dearmond 1100 fitted
    ----snip -----
    The coils were wrapped around 4 magnets, then the E and B magnets were loaded and the coil winding completed, plus the magnets have different diameter per string, and the coil wire is particularly thin, which makes them a nightmare to work on or repair, but I guess DeArmond went to all the extra trouble for a reason
    ive also played a Hofner with a DA 1000 and that also sounded excellent
    i had thought it was the red 1000 that had that unusual 4+2 pole winding
    to give the bottom 4 wound strings a bit more oomph

and that the RC1100 was wound more conventionally because it has
    adjustable pole screws

i could well be wrong tho
    So Guild make the reissue 1100 and 1000 pickups .... Cool

does anyone make a reissue 'guitar mic' ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i had thought it was the red 1000 that had that unusual 4+2 pole winding
    to give the bottom 4 wound strings a bit more oomph.
    That’s correct. Here’s a tear-down of the RC1000.
    Dearmond 1000 Rhythm Chief Repair

The design of the RC1100 is much different, with a ferrite-loaded rubber magnet instead of individual magnets. I haven’t found a tear-down of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    So Guild make the reissue 1100 and 1000 pickups ....
    I installed the RC1100 reissue on my L-7 a few years ago. It’s great.

User Info Menu

For the record, early Guild J.Smith and Artist Award were fitted with a 1000 :
    So, What Was so Good about the DeArmond Rhythm Chief  Pickups?-1958_guild_johnny_smith_award_-1-jpg So, What Was so Good about the DeArmond Rhythm Chief  Pickups?-1958-guild-jsmith-award-4-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    So, What Was so Good about the DeArmond Rhythm Chief  Pickups?-1a8f837b-e7ef-44a5-8bd8-80005c56c4ae-jpeg

Midcentury, baby!
    I just bought a Harmony H1310, think I want to do something like what you've got there! Do you mind if I ask: where is the volume and the input jack? And are you happy with the sound? Thanks!

Tom

User Info Menu

Reviving this thread once more because I found this video:

That sounds ... juicy, somewhat Elvis-like (not talking about the singing ). Does that come solely from the PU or is something else going on here as well? There's a transparency and almost acoustic quality to the sound that I just don't get from my Kent Armstrong.

EDIT: pasted the wrong video...
    EDIT2: hopefully fixed now
    Last edited by RJVB; 04-13-2022 at 06:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Lots of reverb from the amp. That's not quite the usual sound I've heard from an FHC pickup. They are great pickups, though.

User Info Menu

Only reverb? Or would the strings used be very different too?

FHC ... I'm not seeing a reissue of that one, how is it different from the Rhythm Chief (the lack of adjustable pole pieces aside)?

User Info Menu

What you’ve got there is a FHC, or Guitar Mike. IMO they have a much richer and deeper sound than the the rhythm chief pickups.

Sgosnell, aside from the reverb, that sounds just like the ones I’ve played.

If you want to hear sick tonez [sic], check out the guitar solo and comping in this clip. No offense to Kenny Burrell but if you’re using a floating pickup on a big acoustic archtop and people associate your tone only with what’s coming out of the amp, somethings wrong.

Last edited by omphalopsychos; 04-13-2022 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of videos with Chris Flory online, including some with Benny Goodman. He pretty much always sounds like Chris Flory. He's a great player, still at it. He's been using that Gibson with the FHC for a long time, and always sounds great. Another player I like who uses an FHC is Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown. He had his attached with putty, but seems to have removed it during the covid lockdown. Lots of videos online with it, though, and an album with Bruce Forman and Rich O'Brien, "High Plains Riffters, Guitars Only". Whit's sound is different from Chris's, although they use similar guitars with the same pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    He pretty much always sounds like Chris Flory.
    True but his ES 150 doesn't sound anything like his L7 (big, acoustic, cutting). I mean he got the L7 because BG didn't like the sound of ES-150 and Chris was afraid he'd get thrown out of the band. He still has the ES-150 but he never plays it unless the L7 is in the shop. Even then, he's more into his Strat than the 150 lol. He refers to the L7 as "the good one" and the 150 is "the plywood one".

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Whit's sound is different from Chris's, although they use similar guitars with the same pickup.
    Chris's right hand is like a semi truck going 100 mph. Very different technique from Whit's.

User Info Menu

Technique definitely makes a difference. But I suspect Whit runs his pickup wide open, and Chris dials back the volume. I could be wrong, though. I do like listening to both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    What you’ve got there is a FHC, or Guitar Mike. IMO they have a much richer and deeper sound than the the rhythm chief pickups.

Sgosnell, aside from the reverb, that sounds just like the ones I’ve played.

If you want to hear sick tonez [sic], check out the guitar solo and comping in this clip. No offense to Kenny Burrell but if you’re using a floating pickup on a big acoustic archtop and people associate your tone only with what’s coming out of the amp, somethings wrong.

I agree that the DeArmond "Guitar Mike" has a richer, deeper sound than the RC1000/1100, but there are a few variables involved.
    I had thought that Johnny Smith used an RC on his Roost recordings, but they weren't invented till after those recordings were made, AFAIK.
    I also thought that JS plugged directly into the board on all of those records, but it turned out that he only did that on the solo guitar pieces he recorded. You can hear that the Guitar Mike was a very powerful pickup, (or that the recording engineer was incompetent), by the fact that there is a little distortion on those solo pieces (other than "The man With the Blue Guitar" which I haven't listened to in a long time).

On all the other Roost recordings, he was recorded through various mic'd Ampeg amps they had in the studio back then (I don't know which models). On IMHO, the best albums, he was using his D'A Excel, a huge factor also.

I'm not sure what equipment he used on the Verve albums.

The gold standard of the RC1100 IMHO would be the records Kenny Burrell made with his D'A New Yorker in the late 60s and 70s through a Twin, presumably. They're equally as great as JS' recordings, but weren't as deep and rich as the JS Roost recordings.

The closest i ever got to either of these two sounds was playing my snakehead D'A through a, RC1000 and a PV Vintage equipped with two SRO EV 'coffee can speakers in my teens, and a Borys with a KA version of an 1100 througha Corus combo with an RS cab.

User Info Menu

Is there a difference between the Dearmond 1000 and the 1100?

Looks like the 1000 is 15.4K ohms and the 1100 is 6.6 K ohms.

I assume the 1000 is hotter.

They're still available on the Guild site.

Parts Archives | Page 6 of 6 | Guild Guitars

I have a Campellone 18 inch that needs a pickup.

User Info Menu

There are plenty of videos on youtube comparing different DeArmond pickups on the same guitar, both the vintage ones and the current production.

I can usually hear some difference but to me the vintage ones all sound more or less the same - the RFCs sampled certainly don't stick (hah) out head and shoulders above the rest. (Nor do they sound more natural/acoustic to me.)
    With the current production I'm inclined to prefer the 1100 for a slightly more open/airier sound. Could be thanks to its adjustable poles?

A pity that they don't make it in a chrome version ... and that the indie "monkey on a stick" repro is so expensive. The PU touching the top is much less of an issue for acoustic use of the guitar if you can just remove the entire contraption at will, plus you can apparently find the position between bridge and neck that gives you the sound you want.
    I do suppose you have to take care not to use the stick as a bigsby though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I agree that the DeArmond "Guitar Mike" has a richer, deeper sound than the RC1000/1100, but there are a few variables involved.
    I had thought that Johnny Smith used an RC on his Roost recordings, but they weren't invented till after those recordings were made, AFAIK...
    I also assumed Johnny Smith used a Rhythm Chief on the Roost recordings. I have seen many photos of his D’Angelico with an RC pickup. There is a site that has a lot of information and history of the De’Armond company. It says the FHC came out in the early 1940’s and the RC1000 was realeased around 1948. That site includes a 1949 catalogue that shows both of those models available at that time Catalog, 1949 & 1950, Red, Form No. 119, Misc. products. | musicpickups.com So, my guess is that Johnny probably used the RC1000 on those recordings.
    Keith

User Info Menu

So what are the relevant design differences between those pickups?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    So what are the relevant design differences between those pickups?
    I don’t know much about the internal designs and electronic specs, but some earlier comments in this thread provided some technical information. The three models are easily identifiable externally. The 1000 and 1100 are the same shape and both came with the same control box, which has volume, tone and button that cuts the output way back. The 1000 has a flat insert on the top, usually red, but was white on the Guild AA version. The most noticeable difference is that the 1100 has adjustable pole pieces. The FHC (a.k.a. Guitar Mike) is larger than the other two and has two little cutouts under the high E and G strings. I suspect that is to balance the string volume. I don’t think those cutouts were on the very early versions of the FHC. The FHC has a smaller control box and only has a single volume control.
    Keith