The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Yeah, you've probably covered this 100 times. But hey, I'm a new guy. I'm an experienced guitarist, (fingerstyle blues), just venturing into jazz. I picked up a nice older Ibanez hollowbody with P90s. It's a great guitar, but the Fender Acoustasonic 30 I'm playing through isn't giving me what I want.

I've done a lot of reading, and I think a Roland cube is what I want. It's now between the 30 and 60. I plan to play mostly at home, but really want the tone. At medium volume, does the 60 have any tonal advantage over the 30? Is the 60 going to be overkill for home use?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

May I suggest you to bring your guitar to the guitar center and plug it in...

I play a Telecaster on my cube 60. I use the JC channel most of the time with my effect pedals in front (chorus, overdrive, delay and compressor) and sometimes I use the black face channel. I absolutely love this amp.

When I bought it, I wanted an amp that could make it thru if I ever played with others (drums etc). I'm a basement player, so I keep the volume low execpt when the wife and kids are away... This amp can be pretty loud. Among other things that I like: Headphone, line out, reverb.

Good luck in your hunt.

Thanks for the input, Jean. Actually, I'm within 1/2 mile of both a Guitar Center and a Sam Ash. Both have the micro cube, which I have tried. (Nice for what it is, but not what I need). Sam Ash has the Cube 15 in stock, but not out on the floor for sampling. Neither has the 30 or 60. I'll probably go ahead and order the 60, since that's what I hear the most praise about!

User Info Menu

I bought my cube 60 two years ago, used, on ebay. I'm a complete tube amp snob but for jazz the Cube 60 beats all of my tubers hands down. I used it last night in a medium sized club without a PA and I had no problem soloing over a trumpet, sax, electric bass and drums. The tone is great the amp models are the only ones I've ever liked in a live situation the reverb is fine but the chorus is rather weak but usable. Its a great overall amp for all situations. I'm thinking of buying a second 60 to play in stereo. Get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChester
    I'm thinking of buying a second 60 to play in stereo.
    that's funny, i've been considering that too!

great bang for the buck, and built like a tank. i've never had to turn it up past halfway...actually less than halfway, halfway's LOUD!

Great, I'm sold. I still have the question about 30 vs 60, though. If this is almost purely for home use, will the 30 give me all the tone of the 60?

I don't need the volume, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the tone.

User Info Menu

The 12 in speaker in the cube 60 makes a big difference. The 60 has a bigger more full spectrum sound. If you were never going to play with other players the 30 might work. Last week I played a gig at an alumni high school band reunion fundraiser and the 60 had no problem getting out over a 16 piece big band. If you spend the extra bucks for the 60 you won't regret it.

User Info Menu

The 12 in speaker in the cube 60 makes a big difference.
    agreed 100%

it gives you a better bass response at low and at higher volumes. worth the extra scratch.

User Info Menu

I also think the Cube 60 is a great value. I seriously considered one when I bought my JazzKat. Tough to beat the price, dependabilty and sound.

Best jazz amp for that price range imo. As far as 30 vs 60, coin toss.

Gotcha. I'll go with the 60. Better to shell it out now than to wish I had later. Thanks, all.

Well, it arrived today. A used Cube 60, from eBay, but in mint condition. I'm playing a 90's Ibanez AF120 Artstar w/newer P90s through it.

Wow, I'm impressed. The clean is awesome. I'm not much for effects and modeling, but it all sounds great to me. (I couldn't resist doing a bit of 'Iron Man', 'Smoke On the Water', etc....just to try the features out). Even my finger-style country blues and ragtime sounds great, both on the JC and acoustic settings. I don't have a lot of experience with amps, but I can't see what more I'd want in one. I appreciate the good advice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chasgrav
    Wow, I'm impressed. The clean is awesome. I'm not much for effects and modeling, but it all sounds great to me. (I couldn't resist doing a bit of 'Iron Man', 'Smoke On the Water', etc....just to try the features out). Even my finger-style country blues and ragtime sounds great, both on the JC and acoustic settings. I don't have a lot of experience with amps, but I can't see what more I'd want in one. I appreciate the good advice!

Cool !!! Have fun

User Info Menu

I've just purchased a 30 only because the 60 watt was unavailable. It's fine for a full band practice - plenty of power and volume, even working with a Hammond B3, two percussionists, bass, and rhythm guitar. Having said that, I still wish I could have bought a 60 - just for the convenience of the extra volume and the larger speaker. I may end up doing that anyhow.

Good luck with your search.

Fred

User Info Menu

Congrats, I've got a pretty nice collection of Fender amps, Blackface and Tweeds, a few Boogies a couple of Allens, the Cube 60 is the only SS amp I own. (other than Bass amps or PA stuff) Its not a tube amp but its damn close. It has the only amp models I've played that are useful in a live situation.

A Cube 30 sounds great with a 60. Especially if you are trying to blend a Piezo with mag pickups.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of questions...
    I play mostly at home, jam with a couple of freinds, in public it would be a small venue (rare thing).

Should I be OK with a Cube 20...should I get a Cube 30...or should I splurge for a Cube 60?

Second question:
    The Roland Cube specs say that the power supply support both 110v and 220v...can anyone confirm or has anyone used it in both Europe & US?

just want to make sure... thanks

User Info Menu

Get the 60 if you got the cash. The 30 will do in jam situations but the 20 is just a little to small for anything but practice.

User Info Menu

Get the 60 if you got the cash. The 30 will do in jam situations but the 20 is just a little to small for anything but practice.
    Thanks, I will see what they have at the local store...if they have a 60, I will pick it up...or 30 will do...just need to make sure that the power supply really supports 110/220 volts.

User Info Menu

found this...The clean channel is (JC) Jazz Chorus.

User Info Menu

Great video. They really are fine little amps. I played mine at a retirement party today along with a bass and two amplified acoustics and had to keep it down. Plenty of power for most gigs and great tone. Get the 60 if you can but the 30 is still a powerful little brast. I must admit that I'd rather play my Allen Accomplice or 56 Bassman for blues, rock or R&B but for jazz I'll grab the Roland.

User Info Menu

Chasgrav -- I played on a Cube 30 with a band (drums, bass, some horns, piano) and it is not up for the job. I would go for the 60 watts IMHO

PascalD

User Info Menu

You can lower the volume using the 60 but you'll never go higher than 10 with the 30...

Thanks, all. I went ahead with the 60, and have been playing it for about a month. It's fantastic. Works great at low volumes, but has lots of power if you need it, and a wonderful clean sound. I don't do much with, or care much about the amp simulations. Again, I have little experience with amps, but this is EXACTLY what I had in mind. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

The only negative I have ever heard about the Cube series is the cheap input jack they use. If you use it enough to begin having problems, I would replace it with a heavier duty one and be done with it.

For $150 more you get a 12" speaker instead of 10", and twice as much power. Going with the Cube 60 seems like a nobrainer to me. I am glad you like yours. Really, for $400, there doesn't seem to be a better deal out there.

User Info Menu

OK guys here's the rub.

I'm getting tired of carting my big Peavey 120 around so, based on the reports I'd read in various places, I bought a Cube 60. What a mistake! (I live a loooooong way from a decent store so I bought it on spec)

If you want to make a couple of really nice sounding guitars sound crap, plug them into a Cube 60. I play an Ibanez AS200 (1983) and a hand made tele type with seymour duncan pups (bridge hot, neck not). Both superbly playable guitars each with their own particular but wonderful sound. Through the Cube60, I might as well be playing a garbage can with strings on.

Seriously, the sound is all fizzle and snap, it has no depth at all. Probably great if you want to just make a noise and cut through a noisy band, or if your guitar has no tone to begin with, but if you want to play anything with a good tone. Forget it.

Anyone want to buy a cheap 60?
    Last edited by musicalbodger; 06-04-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: bad grammar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicalbodger
    OK guys here's the rub.

I'm getting tired of carting my big Peavey 120 around so, based on the reports I'd read in various places, I bought a Cube 60. What a mistake! (I live a loooooong way from a decent store so I bought it on spec)

If you want to make a couple of really nice sounding guitars sound crap, plug them into a Cube 60. I play an Ibanez AS200 (1983) and a hand made tele type with seymour duncan pups (bridge hot, neck not). Both superbly playable guitars each with their own particular but wonderful sound. Through the Cube60, I might as well be playing a garbage can with strings on.

Seriously, the sound is all fizzle and snap, it has no depth at all. Probably great if you want to just make a noise and cut through a noisy band, or if your guitar has no tone to begin with, but if you want to play anything with a good tone. Forget it.

Anyone want to buy a cheap 60?
    I feel the same way about it.. to each their own I guess