The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Does any of you use more than one overdrive in series, or maybe a distortion and an overdrive?
    What is your conclusion, is it sometimes justified to beef up your sound with more than one distortion type pedal?

/R

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

HEY! this is a jazz guitar forum, you naughty heretic
    kidding..

User Info Menu

I have two. A Hermida Distortion plugged into a Zen Drive. You get some pretty fun sounds, but I never use them together when playing jazz. I will use only one or the other sometimes when playing jazz leads. But both, is too much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msr13
    I never use them together when playing jazz. I will use only one or the other sometimes when playing jazz leads. But both, is too much.
    Thanks Matt, I didn't think of jazz specifically, I meant in general - in blues and rock - I don't use much overdrive in jazz either.

/R

User Info Menu

Then, I really enjoy them together. The distortion fattens up the tone of the Zen. And, you can get some really sweet sounds. The reason I like Hermida, is he makes those Dumblesque, smooth overdrive sounds in his pedals and they stack well.

User Info Menu

Yes, I do stack OD pedals frequently. I have a Keeley Fuzzhead that stacks nicely with a NOC3 Firefly (TS +), and the distortion channel of my Ceriatone OTS. There are plenty of other pedals out there that stack well also, and in fact, were designed with that in mind to a degree.

User Info Menu

Technically I don't stack pedals but, I use a multieffects pedal that you can use to model stompboxes as if were stacked. My favorite setting is using a Tube Screamer in series with a Metal Zone, the metal zone gives me enough overdrive power while the screamer complement it with lots of sustain.
    Long time ago I mixed an overdrive pedal with a chorus an it sounded really cool a la nirvana!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saponsky
    Technically I don't stack pedals but, I use a multieffects pedal that you can use to model stompboxes as if were stacked. My favorite setting is using a Tube Screamer in series with a Metal Zone
    And what multieffect do you use, I never managed to get my tone with multieffects, and I promise you that I've really tried.

/r

User Info Menu

I use the Line 6 POD xtLive it has a software (don't remember its name right now) and you can edit your presets settings with it.
    It took me a while to get the tone I want. There are too much factors eg. amp settings, amp modeling settings, eq, etc. When you're setting your sound, if you've spent more than 30mins settings a preset, leave it a lone for 5min or so and then go back.
    Last edited by saponsky; 05-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

For my Rock gigs I use the Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde pedal. That's two (distortion and overdrive) in one. But for jazz I'll keep it clean!

User Info Menu

BBE Green Screamer and a Maxon SD9. Occasionally a Boss DS-1.

User Info Menu

Danelectro Cool Cat Drive into the Cool Cat Distortion.

I've got a TC Nova Drive as well that lets you do stacked O/D into Distortion, or the other way round. Also lets you run them parallel with clean sound.

User Info Menu

Whenever I want to perk things up a bit while I'm playing Satin Doll, I'll do it Swedish style and use a touch of Boss Metal Zone into a Digitech Death Metal Distortion. Sometimes we call that version of the tune- Satan Doll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Whenever I want to perk things up a bit while I'm playing Satin Doll, I'll do it Swedish style and use a touch of Boss Metal Zone into a Digitech Death Metal Distortion. Sometimes we call that version of the tune- Satan Doll.
    I liked that one!

/R

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitaRoland
    Does any of you use more than one overdrive in series, or maybe a distortion and an overdrive?
    What is your conclusion, is it sometimes justified to beef up your sound with more than one distortion type pedal?

/R
    I have found that a Tonebone Classic is great w/ just about anything in front of it. I especially like my Prescription Experience and my Frantone Peachfuzz. Not what I would call "traditional" jazz tone but good for making a racket!

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

My main setup is:
    DOD Milkbox Compressor -> modified Boss Blues Driver BD-2 with almost no gain -> slightly modified Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9 with very small gain and this goes into modified Hughes and Kettner Attax 50 (Hand made tube preamp like Marshall JMP and Attax50 only as power amp).

This combination gives me smooth tone from my tele/strat.
    Of course i use chorus, Wah-wah and other pedals when needed.