The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Anyone using a clean boost pedal in their jazz playing situations?

I've been playing straight (no pedals) for my jazz stuff for a long time. But I've been experimenting with clean boosts and finding they really can fatten the tone, but still stay mostly clean.

Without a pedal, I typically find my best tone is with my volume knob near or completely full. I'll solo with it like that and then roll the volume knob down for comping.

With a boost pedal left on all the time, I can achieve that volume knob cranked tone even with the guitar's volume knob rolled back (since the pedal is boosting the level into the amp). And then when I roll it up for solos, it gets even fatter.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was using an Xotic Effects RC Booster until my pedalboard was stolen last week. It was awesome, just so transparent. It didn't cause distortion at all, either, unless you set it to. That's definitely one of the first pedals I'll be replacing.

User Info Menu

I use a Fulltone Fat Boost works really good for this type of clean boost.

User Info Menu

I use an NOC3 Earthtone clean boost, which is 15db. I mainly use it when soloing clean to punch me up to cut thru the mix. I have left it on before as a fattening agent, but unlike the Xotic stuff, this really doesn't color the tone much.

User Info Menu

Very cool to see that others are in a similar boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    I was using an Xotic Effects RC Booster until my pedalboard was stolen last week. It was awesome, just so transparent. It didn't cause distortion at all, either, unless you set it to. That's definitely one of the first pedals I'll be replacing.
    Dude, sorry to hear your gear was stolen! The Xotic effects all look cool to me. There's that little EP Booster they have too.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    Which version of the Fat Boost do you have/use? I came close to pulling the trigger on a used Fat Boost II. Ideally I wanted something with less controls than it had, because it also had a treble and bass control and I just wanted something simple for less tweaking...ideally volume and gain.

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I use an NOC3 Earthtone clean boost, which is 15db. I mainly use it when soloing clean to punch me up to cut thru the mix. I have left it on before as a fattening agent, but unlike the Xotic stuff, this really doesn't color the tone much.
    I also came close to buying the Earthtone boost! I'm finding I really like boosters that use jfet transistors, like the Earthtone does. As well as the ones I have that I'll mention in a separate post below....and I think the Fat Boost does too.

User Info Menu

The boost I have right now and have been loving in my rock setup is a Mojo Hand Copperhead. It's actually a 2-in-1 dual boost. So you can use them independently or stack them. You can dial in very light gain which really seems to fatten the tone up nicely. And I like the simplicity of just a volume and gain knob...and it being neutral in EQ. More info on it here: Mojo Hand Copperhead Dual Boost | DiscoFreq's Effects Database

So for my jazz setup, I basically wanted the Copperhead but didn't really need the dual boosts it has (just need one). I found out the same brand, Mojo Hand, made a short production run of a boost pedal called the Juju Boost. I believe it is essentially one channel of the Copperhead in a slightly smaller enclosure but with an added toggle switch for toggle on/off more/less gain. I just found a used one on thegearpage.net forums and it should be on its way to me today. More info on it here: Mojo Hand Juju Boost | DiscoFreq's Effects Database

I really like how these pedal can dial in a very light/low gain and aren't loaded with a ton of knobs for EQ and such to keep it simple.

User Info Menu

I have version 1 of the Fulltone Fat boost, also have the Fulltone Fulldrive II that has a clean boost on it called comp cut works great too.

User Info Menu

I have a question for the boost users.

I have a Phil Jones Cub, a small acoustic guitar amplifier that works very well with my archtop. It has a warm and very transparent, hi-fi, sound. I'd like to know if a boost, such as the Fulltone or the Xotic, might make the Cub sound like an electric guitar amplifier, so that I can use it with a solidbody guitar and get a clean sound good for blues and rock. The Cub has a huge dynamic range, doesn't compress/limit the sound at all, and my priority would be to fatten the sound a bit without losing too much dynamic range.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Fidelcaster; 05-11-2010 at 04:50 AM.

User Info Menu

One of my requirements for a distortion or overdrive unit is that you can use it as a clean boost. It sure makes for a more versatile pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    One of my requirements for a distortion or overdrive unit is that you can use it as a clean boost. It sure makes for a more versatile pedal.
    Makes sense. Speaking of, there's a cool one I recently found out about called the Liquid Sunshine by Subdecay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    I have a question for the boost users.

I have a Phil Jones Cub, a small acoustic guitar amplifier that works very well with my archtop. It has a warm and very transparent, hi-fi, sound. I'd like to know if a boost, such as the Fulltone or the Xotic, might make the Cub sound like an electric guitar amplifier, so that I can use it with a solidbody guitar and get a clean sound good for blues and rock.
    Not sure, possibly, but you'd really have to try it. I don't have any acoustic guitar amps for reference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    Not sure, possibly, but you'd really have to try it. I don't have any acoustic guitar amps for reference.
    Thank you anyway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I'm considering picking up a NOC3 Earthtone. Anymore of a review you can give it? I'm also considering a Zvex SHO clone in the same size enclosure as the Earthtone and also a Xotic EP Booster.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 05-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.

I used to use a Tech 21 Sansamp Classic similarly. I set it to a clean sound and it would warm up my amp and provide a lot of girth to the sound. It works well in front of an Acoustic Image, so should serve your purposes. (They have discontinued the Classic, but I had good luck with the Tri-AC as well. I will replace those stolen pedals one day!)

This is NOT a good solution if you already have a perfect tone you want boosted but not colored. However, if you want to add "tube warmth" or fatten your sound up, they sound great. (They also make great distortion pedals obviously.)

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

What about a Tech 21 Boost DLA? Has anyone tried one of those?

User Info Menu

Anyone encountered a Carl Martin Hydra boost??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    I'm considering picking up a NOC3 Earthtone. Anymore of a review you can give it? I'm also considering a Zvex SHO clone in the same size enclosure as the Earthtone and also a Xotic EP Booster.
    Really, there isn't much to add. 15db of clean boost, small, cool handpainted enclosure. Has a volume knob and one switch. Might be a dip switch or two on the inside to effect tone a bit, dunno. Nick at NOC3 is very responsive, shoot him an email.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    I decided to try a Fat Boost 3 as I found one for a good price used but in excellent condition. I really like it so far. But I need to take it to rehearsal and then a gig to really tell. I could see myself potentially using it a real lot.

User Info Menu

You should check out Jetter Gear's G3 dual OD. One side is a very transparent boost and the other is an equally transparent OD with a bit more gain on tap. I gassed my way through some two dozen Boost and OD pedals in a two year period (including the Xotic RC and AC which are both terrific pedals). The G3 has stayed on the board for over 18 months now and I have no desire to replace it. It is sonically versatile while being transparent, looks reasonably cool, and their service is great (I had a minor problem with my first Jetter pedal which was a Gain Stage Red but Brad was very pleasant, attentive, and had the pedal fixed and back to me in no time!). I can recommend the G3 and the company very highly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Anyone encountered a Carl Martin Hydra boost??
    Well I got one and tried it on Saturday with the Workshop band, using the Cube 60, no other FX, Tweed voice on the amp. One Gain knob on the pedal, so set it to 12 o'clock as a starting point. No time to mess aound trying it out before "Straight No Chaser" was called.

Got to my solo, hit the switch. (Apparently, it gives a +20 db lift in volume). Sounded just like I did before, except louder - which was exactly what I wanted. Tried messing about with the gain later on and got a slightly overdriven sound, but to be honest, pushing the gain on the amp sounds better if I want to go that route. It's a lot warmer.

All in all, a pretty good buy.

User Info Menu

If you want a 'clean boost' which doesn't colour your tone, try the BBE Boosta Grande. It doesn't thicken your tone but increases the volume of your sound without having any effect on your tone. An option if you want a bit of an overdrive would be the Daneletro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Great for solos.

User Info Menu

I use a line 6 POD xtLive and I always add the tube screamer stomp box cause it gives singing sustain to my acoustic sounds. The overall sound improves a lot plus I can play with the level settings as well.

User Info Menu

A good EQ pedal can also act as a clean boost. If you want to push the boat out the Boss EQ-20 can be programmed with 10 settings. Preset number 5 gives a great warm jazz type boost. Of course you have also the option of keep the EQ flat, but just upping the gain for a pure, clean boost with no coloration.