The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

never knew these existed. Anybody here ever play one?

https://youtu.be/YIm2N1kXFVo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like there may be only a few of these ... maybe even as little as two of them.

The design looks a lot like the Gibson ES-446 or the PRS Archtops. I would guess they sound similar.

I want a Wes Paul after seeing that video. LOL

I have an ES-446 and have had a PRS Archtop. They can sound quite good. Not really the same as an L5, but with a decent amp and set up they can come close. Or maybe you can make your own new jazz tonal tradition with one.

They are also small and compact, which can be nice.

User Info Menu

I love it, thanks for sharing that!

User Info Menu

I’d love a neck pickup Les Paul gold top with a soapbar P90….

User Info Menu

Ha, great invention and a word play!

In fact it looks like a bit upgraded 1-pu ES Les Paul. But I think that the trapeze tail piece should be same as in Wes L5-CES, not that cheap generic one. It would give better jazz sound…

User Info Menu

I must say I was surprised by the sound of that guitar. I thought you would not hear the spruce top that much. But sounded more L-fivey to me than what I was expecting..

User Info Menu

O man, I LOVE that guitar!
    Hopefully one will be available when I get too old and I can’t lift my arm over a full size archtop.
    I’d love to play one.
    JD

User Info Menu

Love the idea of it, but to me it’s a chambered solid body guitar.
    I think they should have gone full hollow body with a carved top and back.
    Other than aesthetic, it’s Les Paul Florentine or even a Pat Martino.

User Info Menu

I bet Seventy Seven would make you one if you asked

User Info Menu

I played the other Wes Paul on Nov 2014... so I think it was the 2nd of two known... maybe it was the same one. I didn't record the serial number in my post. Asking price was $6,750.

Played a Gibson "Wes Paul" today...

My impression of the guitar at the time written in the 10th post in the above thread...
    Just before I played the first notes I was really hoping that it would have a tone more toward a 335 or at least a little airy, but not really. Pretty much a great sounding Les Paul Custom. I want to say the one I saw on eBay a year or so ago was asking $8,000, but I could be wrong. I think that high value is due to its rarity. Happy to have had the opportunity to play a few notes. Very smooth playing neck!
    A “Wes” Paul-wp-jpeg

User Info Menu

I like the concept of the "Wes Paul". However, due to its extreme rarity, if I were in the market for a carved Spruce top, small bodied, chambered Gibson, I'd prefer one of the limited edition Johnny A. spruce models. Even the maple top JA can have a decent jazz tone if strung with flatwounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I like the concept of the "Wes Paul". However, due to its extreme rarity, if I were in the market for a carved Spruce top, small bodied, chambered Gibson, I'd prefer one of the limited edition Johnny A. spruce models. Even the maple top JA can have a decent jazz tone if strung with flatwounds.
    They are really nice guitars, lightweight, and great for clean sounds. Kind of a cross of an L-5 and an SG (or Ibanez Artist).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    They are really nice guitars, lightweight, and great for clean sounds. Kind of a cross of an L-5 and an SG (or Ibanez Artist).

What do they weigh ? Not sure where a solid 2 p/u LP even starts but my 3 p/u LP Artisan was in the ' holy mackerel ' range.....

Thx.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    What do they weigh ? Not sure where a solid 2 p/u LP even starts but my 3 p/u LP Artisan was in the ' holy mackerel ' range.....

Thx.
    My maple top Johnny A. (see below) weighs only 6.15lbs.
    The spruce top model should be fairly close in weight.

User Info Menu

The Johnny A is a sweet guitar IMHO.

Don't forget the ES-446 ... not as fancy, but also a nice compact guitar that can get great jazz flavored tones.