The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

My 68th birthday is rapidly approaching and I'd been searching for a new acoustic to play at open mic nights. I'm fortunate to have a large collection as well as being a luthier for decades, as this is likely my last one I really wanted something special .

This sweetheart popped up and I just could not resist. As I play violin and viola as well I"m familiar with Pernambuco bows, they are the paradigm. Occasionally I'll see a guitar neck using it .. then I saw this . Made for Bluegrass legend Ricky Skaggs it has an all Pernambuco neck/fretboard/ back and sides with a Adirondack top and an 18v PRS pickup and a clear guard. Made by Steve Fischer while he worked for PRS , he now has his own company, he uses a interesting combination of X and Fan bracing

Pernambuco Birthday  dream-2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-10-jpgPernambuco Birthday  dream-2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-9-jpgPernambuco Birthday  dream-specs-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the tag Pernambuco Birthday  dream-_33054_33054-prs-tonare-grand-addy-pernambuco-acoustic-a100410-used-187294bfd5a-c-jpg

User Info Menu

A clip of Al Pettiway playing it

User Info Menu

So how does she work for you, or do you actually manage to keep the wrapping on until your b'day?

PS: For me snakewood is the "paradigm" wood for the kinds of bow I used so I was quite pleased to discover that the buttons on my Cabaret are made of that wood (after deciding against buying Enrique Medina's snakewood Dome).

PPS: supposing you flatpick, do you think about up and down picking the same way as up and down bowing?

User Info Menu

She'll arrive tommorow . Acoustically I play mostly fingerstyle . My teacher and dear friend has always impressed on me that the bow is your breath , I approach guitar the same way . Carlos Santana said back in my college days " if you want to be a better guitar player , listen to the horn players" even when picking .. the guitar is your voice

snakewood is rather cool , don't see to much of it due to cost

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    My teacher and dear friend has always impressed on me that the bow is your breath , I approach guitar the same way .
    Most of mine did too, and the last one (for the space of a number of summer school/masterclasses) had us work on vocal parts so intensively that even the voice students came to listen in

I'm not a picker at all, but when I do pick one up I have this feeling that (almost) understand it better than fingerstyle...

User Info Menu

As I said in the other thread, lovely guitar. A work of art, really. Simple yet elegant.

User Info Menu

After a few days of playing I can easily say it's the best acoustic I've played . Deep , full and sparkly , very touch sensitive and LOUD. I can play along with a cd without plugging in , that's a first with an acoustic. Plugged in it's just a bit more delicious.

In Open G it is just spectacular , not surprising since Tony McManus and Martin Simpson were in on the design along with Cody Kilby and Ricky

User Info Menu

So then, when do we get to hear her?

User Info Menu

the clip of Al Pettiway playing is of My guitar...

User Info Menu

Yeah, but that one only counted when you didn't have her yet

User Info Menu

My skills compared to Al's .. .I'll spare you that experience ~