The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen Marty play that guitar from about 10 feet away. One of my favorite musical experiences ever. He just has that beast under perfect control. His tone was beautiful, his use of the bender was incredibly fluid, and his playing was absolutely masterful. He also played Johnny Cash's Martin D45 and a ?loyd Loar Mandolin that night. Such a great show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've seen Marty play that guitar from about 10 feet away. One of my favorite musical experiences ever. He just has that beast under perfect control. His tone was beautiful, his use of the bender was incredibly fluid, and his playing was absolutely masterful. He also played Johnny Cash's Martin D45 and a ?loyd Loar Mandolin that night. Such a great show.
    Marty is a fabulous entertainer and a first-rate player. Also enjoy "Cousin" Kenny Vaughan's contributions. (Kenny tells some great stories to Otis Gibbs on the latter's YouTube channel.)

User Info Menu

Great story. So many innovations in guitar style came from those country players with a bluegrass background and a taste for rock and roll.

User Info Menu

I just saw Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives week before last, and man, that was a killer show. Junior Brown opened, and slipped in a lot of Wes Montgomery-style playing on the guit-steel. There was a lot of (almost) straight-ahead jazz playing from both bands that night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slabboardsam
    I just saw Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives week before last, and man, that was a killer show. Junior Brown opened, and slipped in a lot of Wes Montgomery-style playing on the guit-steel. There was a lot of (almost) straight-ahead jazz playing from both bands that night.
    Wow, that would have been great. Always wanted to see Junior Brown. His guit-steel was stolen a year or 2 ago. Was it recovered, or did he have a new one made?

Back to Marty, Marty seems like a really neat guy. There’s an interview of him by Terri Gross. He talks about his career, and being Johnny Cash’s son-in-law and lifelong friend. He lived next to Johnny even after the divorce from Cindy. He talks about going over to visit Johnny when he was ill toward the end of his life, and it’s enough to bring tears to your eyes.