The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On certain tones there's an annoying buzzing noise coming from the tailpiece of my Golden Eagle. It disappears when the letter "H" is pressed to the frame between two fingers. I do not know how the "H" is attached, just know that it is not screwed.
    Has anyone experenced a similar problem and found a solution? I need to get rid of the noise.

annoying buzz from Heritage tailpiece-heritagetailpiece-jpeg
    TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It could be that the H is not causing the buzz, but that it's muted when pressing on the tailpiece. It could be in the hinge, or elsewhere, perhaps not even in the tailpiece. Buzzes can be very difficult to track down.

User Info Menu

I encountered a similar vibration from my "H" tailpiece. Try applying some strong adhesive to the rear of the piece where it attaches to the main bail. That solved my issue.

User Info Menu

I had a rattly tailpiece on my SelMac style. I stuffed a handkerchief under it, stopped it cold.

I have heard those H's can rattle, but try stuffing some fabric under first and see if that does anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I encountered a similar vibration from my "H" tailpiece. Try applying some strong adhesive to the rear of the piece where it attaches to the main bail. That solved my issue.
    Thanks for that tip. It is a known issue, I have a H575 Custom with that tailpiece that buzzes a little on some notes and is only noticed (at least by me) when playing unplugged. There are a few threads on the Heritage Fan Club regarding this issue but this is the first tip I have seen that offers a possible fix.

I've looked at it and considered a replacement with a trapeze type, which I would prefer the look of anyway, but the output jack is incorporated into the tailpiece and I'm not sure if there is one out there that would serve as a direct replacement. And, as someone said on the HFC, when plugged in the guitar sounds great and that buzz is not noticeable. Mine has Seths which I really like in this guitar.

User Info Menu

The hole pattern is the same as a 175 tailpiece. I know archtop.com sells gold 175 tp’s.

Just another option if you can’t stop the rattle. Maybe just remove the H.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The hole pattern is the same as a 175 tailpiece. I know archtop.com sells gold 175 tp’s.

I was going to say - what's the issue here? Do you need more reasons to replace the heritage tailpiece than its aesthetic offensiveness? I'd have put a gibson style tailpiece on that guitar from day one. I'd do the same any heritage pickguard.

Unfortunately you can't replace the headstocks and f holes on heritages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I was going to say - what's the issue here? Do you need more reasons to replace the heritage tailpiece than its aesthetic offensiveness? I'd have put a gibson style tailpiece on that guitar from day one. I'd do the same any heritage pickguard.

Unfortunately you can't replace the headstocks and f holes on heritages.
    I have to admit that i actually came to like the visual appearance of the tailpiece as well as the Heritage headstock and f holes. I did however replace the pickguard, but mainly because i wanted to keep the original intact when replacing the pickup. With the replacement PU this Golden Eagle sounds so good, probably no one owning it can avoid growing tolerant over it's alleged design flaws - as happend to me ;-).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k

Thanks for the input! Removing the H would probably require serious damage to the tailpiece, but the option to use a gold 175 sounds good.