The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I started with TI 12 Flats on a 2007 LeGrand and wondering if I should switch out to a Round set, same gauge. Maybe round wounds are more suited for a single floating pick up? Any insight is welcome. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would put Thomastik Benson Roundwounds on that guitar.Every guitar is different even one's of the same make.The only way to know is to try different strings and see what fits your own personal taste.I resisted using Labella Jazz Tapes for years and just tryed them on my AR910 and they sound really terrific.

User Info Menu

If you are always playing amplified, you might prefer flats to rounds, but if you are playing acoustically, try a bunch of different roundwound strings and see if you like it better. At present, I like D'Addario 80/20 rounds on my acoustic archtops and TI flats on my electric archtops. I have tried Phosphor bronze and nickel roundwounds and they did not work for me.

Also, if you are trying 80/20 or PB strings, you might want to consider a wooden bridge saddle to get the full acoustic archtop experience. I run wooden bridge saddles on all of my archtops. IMO, metal bridges belong on a solid body guitar as I like some acoustic response. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    If you are always playing amplified, you might prefer flats to rounds, but if you are playing acoustically, try a bunch of different roundwound strings and see if you like it better. At present, I like D'Addario 80/20 rounds on my acoustic archtops and TI flats on my electric archtops. I have tried Phosphor bronze and nickel roundwounds and they did not work for me.

Also, if you are trying 80/20 or PB strings, you might want to consider a wooden bridge saddle to get the full acoustic archtop experience. I run wooden bridge saddles on all of my archtops. IMO, metal bridges belong on a solid body guitar as I like some acoustic response. YMMV
    Yes, always amplified, thank you.

User Info Menu

I would recommend giving roundwound strings a try and see how they sound and feel on your 2007 LeGrand. It's an opportunity to explore different tonal possibilities and discover what suits your playing style.

User Info Menu

I use pyramid nickel classics hand polished on my Legrand. A little warmer than most roundwounds, a bit less finger noise stay responsive much longer than flats. Give them a try.

User Info Menu

I use Martin Monel 13s on my L-7C with an Armstrong floating humbucker. I find them to be a nice middle ground of good acoustic tone and balanced electric sound. I tried some daddario flats and honestly thought the electric sound was too boomy, so I went back to the Monels.

User Info Menu

For sure I'd try starting out with a set of rounds, just to establish a volume base line......Try it both plugged and unplugged.........Then you'd know ' Ok that's pretty much all the volume I get '.
    Then try a set of flats, and give it another listen, plugged and unplugged, and see if you can live with the difference ( - es ), and / or how noticeable they may be.........

Good luck !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    Yes, always amplified, thank you.
    So, the acoustic archtop is in majority not being acousticly used. Well, in that case I recommend reducing the volume knob on the guitar not exceeding the 50%. Use the amp for volume. You will be able to hear the acoustic sound of your guitar yourself. Place your amp next to you, rather than sitting in front of your amp.

User Info Menu

I think over time the guitars I have. the strings I use fit the guitar based on the guitar. One note as SS said. is that if you only are playing electric and do any recording then flatwounds are probably the best choice. They eliminate string noise and record very well. For me I use the Thomastik Swings .13 to 53. They feel great and the tension does not seem as much as Chromes. They sound better than Chromes. Just a note yesterday I strung my Super400ces with a set of the 12-50 flatwounds as Big Mike gave me a set awhile back. It is the thinnest low E I have ever used but wow they sound and feel great. They play bigger yet feel easier on the hands and tension. I might stay with this.

Here again the S400 is a ces. so only playing amplified and my string choice is flatwounds. On the other guitars I use a variety but lately the Thomastik bebops are getting my attention they feel great and despite my initial concern with the odd gauges in the middle, and the cost. they add up to a great string. I also use D'addario semi-flats and my old Barker likes this set. The Barker is a powerful guitar, and the semi-flats are fine allowing full sound without the noise. I also go with the pure nickel strings for any of the acoustic archtops. I am not a fan of using bronze or brass strings even on an acoustic archtop for full acoustic sound. They are too bright and ringy for my taste.

The only exception to this is that on my 49 D'a I use regular nickel silver strings and this guitar takes brighter sounding strings better, and in fact generally demands it. The reason is that the guitar a huge deep bass response with a mellow treble. Using brighter strings gives it and edge in some respects mostly if playing 4 bar rhythm. My guess is your Legrand will be brighter due to the construction if they build it along the lines of the Johnny Smith Gibson. In that case a set of Thomastik bebops will be the best choice. However, this is a generalization the guitar could be quite mellow and you might try a brighter output string.

We spend a lot of time on guitars and sound here in this forum. But as the Barney Kessell said in his book written years ago......"the strings start the process" never underestimate the importance. So if you buy any expensive jazz guitar and spend over $3000 think of it this way. Go buy a huge assortment of strings and you probably can get quite a different number of sets for $100. Then put them on and let you ear, hand, and guitar figure out what makes everyone happy. This is way cheaper than buying another expensive jazz guitar. Plus you have a good quantity of strings that will get you through a good period of time. If you don't like a set put on new then carefully take them off and use them on another guitar or keep for set ups. Finally it can be fun. I over the years have learned the Thomastik strings are great, but it took me a while to dive in. I had a bad experience with D'addario semi=flats and tried them again and BINGO it was enlightening. Think of changing strings like getting a new guitar but the bill, the wife, and worries are just way less.

Tell you better half.

" Dear, I am really thinking about getting another guitar but gosh they are expensive, maybe I will just buy a dozen sets of strings, much cheaper the guitar will sound new."

You can score in more than one way!

I put a set of TI 13 Rounds on this afternoon. Best fit yet, compared to flats. Will try the Pyramids at some point down the line. Seems pretty clear, though, that rounds are the way to go with LeGrand or similar. Thank you for all of the suggestions and insight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I put a set of TI 13 Rounds on this afternoon. Best fit yet, compared to flats. Will try the Pyramids at some point down the line. Seems pretty clear, though, that rounds are the way to go with LeGrand or similar. Thank you for all of the suggestions and insight.
    Those are a good choice. They will last forever! Maybe a bit more "brassy" than the pyramid but solid choice.

User Info Menu

I also use TI 13 Rounds on my Legrand. They sound and feel great so no need of trying other strings.

User Info Menu

Hey Tom I see you have this LeGrand you just got for sale on Reverb.

You also sold that mint blonde LeGrand you got from GC.

Maybe a CES model may suit you better. I know I am not a floater guy.

IMO - if you have the right guitar for your ears it will still sound good to your ears even with the wrong strings on it.

I bought a brand new LeGrand in 2017. I hated the tone and knew no type of strings would fix it. I sent it back the next day.

Their are floater acoustic ears and humbucker more electric ears or at least that is the way it is with me.

LOL buddy

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Hey Tom I see you have this LeGrand you just got for sale on Reverb.

You also sold that mint blonde LeGrand you got from GC.

Maybe a CES model may suit you better. I know I am not a floater guy.

IMO - if you have the right guitar for your ears it will still sound good to your ears even with the wrong strings on it.

I bought a brand new LeGrand in 2017. I hated the tone and knew no type of strings would fix it. I sent it back the next day.

Their are floater acoustic ears and humbucker more electric ears or at least that is the way it is with me.

LOL buddy
    I’m working with it, big time, and know it will be months before a sale. Again, I’m stuck with a serious case bleed, and I probably won’t get past this! I returned the first one as a result of $$$ panic. Don’t won’t to give up on this just yet, but when I pick up my L5 Ces, I get the point.
    Last edited by tomvwash; 06-07-2023 at 02:57 PM.