The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone have any experience pairing a Raezer’s Edge Twin 8 with a blackface era Fender or similar clone? I have an AB763 Twin Reverb in a head cab and I’m looking for a smaller, more portable cab then the monstrous Bandmaster cab I use at home. The RE Twin 8 can handle 200 watts at 4 ohms, so in that respect seems like a good fit. I am not sure what speakers these are loaded with, and whether or not they are well-suited to tube amps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Rich Razer built Twin 8 From the way back and used it for a good number of years with an Acoustic Image Clarus head until I got a 2009 era Henriksen 10". The Twin 8 is an excellent cab and can handle the power but it's boomy and weighs 30 pounds. The AI head has a sweepable cut filter that I used to cut out the offending frequencies and that worked fine. I tried plugging my Quilter Mach2 8 into the Razer cab and I could not cut the bass enough no matter what setting I used, it was just boomy. I have come to believe it's the Eminence Speaker (Alpha I think) as I used one in my Quilter for a period of time, and it was somewhat boomy too. I really did not get it until I replaced it with the original Celestion where it had a more reasonable bottom end in all it's settings. The RE Twin 8/AI is now used for bass duty, and it does a good job, I just point out the sweepable cut to guest players.

Tom

User Info Menu

I had an RE Twin 8 and would suggest that the Fender AB 763 might exaggerate the already boomy quality of the twin 8. Just one person’s opinion…

User Info Menu

Go for a Stealth 10 with the blackface head. I also found the Twin 8 Boomy. I have used my Stealth 10 with my Quilter head and it sounds amazing. That head pairs very well with a Fender voiced amp.
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 06-05-2023 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I use a Raezor's Edge Twin 8 made by Rich from 1999 I think or close to that year. I use it with a AI Clarus R2 and it delivers great sound especially qith the larger 18 inch guitars. That said I would love to get a Henriksen Blu 6 but just cannot justify owning the amp as long was this works fine.

Thanks everyone. I do tend to put my amps on stands because that helps mitigate a lot of the boominess issues I run into. Still not sure if I’m going to buy the cab, but if I do, I think I’d be able to recoup my costs pretty easily if it doesn’t work out.

User Info Menu

I’m fond of open back cabinets.

in particular I think the raezers edge 10” open backs sound great. I have a tone tubby 4040 speaker in it which is amazing. It replaced an eminence cannabis rex that sounded absolutely horrible.

Raezer’s Edge Twin 8 amp pairing-7f07b390-b5ea-40e6-ac4a-d75fce49492e-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I’m fond of open back cabinets.

in particular I think the raezers edge 10” open backs sound great. I have a tone tubby 4040 speaker in it which is amazing. It replaced an eminence cannabis rex that sounded absolutely horrible.

Raezer’s Edge Twin 8 amp pairing-7f07b390-b5ea-40e6-ac4a-d75fce49492e-jpg
    Same here. But...my enormous, closed-back mid-60s Bandmaster cab is well-insulated and sounds fantastic with a 15" speaker driven by the AB763 Twin Reverb—lots of dispersion, no excessive boominess (as long as it's on a stand). I am actually pulling the trigger on the Twin 8 and also going to try a Clarus 2 with an NY8 cab as well.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 06-06-2023 at 11:27 AM.

A forum member reached out and sold me his Rich-built Twin 8. It arrived today. Driven by the Twin Reverb (1971, rebuilt as an AB763 circuit, with all the original iron and some NOS caps that the builder had on hand) the Twin 8 sounds “cleaner” than my go-to closed-back Bandmaster cab with Weber Ceramic California 15. The frequency response of the Twin 8 is not quite as (subjectively, to my ear) balanced, favoring an upper mid range honk. I am able to control the boominess pretty well, using a combination of amp stand and EQ. I’m not sure yet that I’ll be keeping it—word has it that a Lil Dawg ChocoPrince (this one a souped-up, 20 watt version of the 6G2 circuit that can take either 6L6 or 6V6 power tubes) is headed my way next week to become my grab and go—but it’s interesting to compare and contrast speakers and cabs. Every bit of the signal chain is important, from the pick on down to the speaker cone.