The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello the jazz community!

Has anyone noticed there seems to have a new 2023 line "Original" Broadway (a little like the Gibson "Original" line)?

https://www.gear4music.fr/fr/Guitare...AaAj4bEALw_wcB

What I really notice is the huge price jump (if I remember well they used to be under 800€?)..

Does anyone have an idea if there's something special about them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well it seems, after a bit of research, that the differences are (as stated by a few sites)

New Slim c profile neck
    PRO BUCKER pickups (Gibson? No real information)
    Hardshell case

Not sur if the previous version had a Laurel fingerboard?

I also searched the last prices of the previous vesion, it was 650 €

Well 500 € rise for a case, and relabeled pickups?
    I'll try to find one of the last NOS if you ask.

Don't think this thread is going to go very far

User Info Menu

Interesting. Nice guitar, I certainly dig the slim taper neck and 24,3/4 scale length (I thought the Broadway had 25,1/2).
    I like the "violin" color, too.
    Where is it made? Korea?

User Info Menu

Here we discussed it
    Epiphone Broadway?

User Info Menu

Oh sorry I wasn't aware it was discussed on that thread.. Since it was initially talking about the old version
    I hadn't seen that the scale length had went from 25.5 to 24.75. Now that's a huge change. And a bit strange, it's not really a Broadway anymore..

User Info Menu

I just bought one, wine red. It's arriving tomorrow. I know that the Epiphone Alnico Classic PRO Humbucker pickups are a big improvement on whatever they were using previously. I played a few recent Epis with them and they sound really good. Not quite Gibson Classic 57s, but close. I will probably swap out the bridge with a Tune-o-matic. We'll see!
    Last edited by WillsJazz; 06-28-2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Formatting

User Info Menu

The new 2023 Epiphone Broadway has a 25.5" scale length.
    The information on the web site was changed to 25.5" last week.
    I have a 2023 and I can confirm it is 25.5".
    Neck is 3 piece construction, not like the previous version with a stacked heel and scarf joint.
    Made in the Qingdao, China plant.
    Top is about 1 mm thicker at the F hole, my previous Unsung version is 4 mm at same location.
    Ends of F holes are larger, like previous Peerless versions.
    Neck thickness and width is hyper close to previous version I have.
    Depth at certain points for upper and lower bout are about 5-7 mm thicker than previous version.
    Fit and finish/workmanship is wonderful.
    Tuning/intonation with the standard wooden bridge is very stable, with 13-52 Flatwounds locked on the
    Grover tuning keys.
    I kinda like it.
    YMMV.

User Info Menu

I had probucker II pickups in a Sheraton. They are good pickups and very usable. I was surprised. Seemed hotter than 57s but they are similar ohm readings. More like a Duncan jazz. A little more focused and less open sounding.

Easily the best current epiphone pickup. It's the pots and switches that are junk imo. I'd change those and make sure I had a bone ,Corian, or tusq nut. Some epis come with plastic. The Broadway is a little more upscale so it might already be equipped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Hello the jazz community!

Has anyone noticed there seems to have a new 2023 line "Original" Broadway (a little like the Gibson "Original" line)?

https://www.gear4music.fr/fr/Guitare...AaAj4bEALw_wcB

What I really notice is the huge price jump (if I remember well they used to be under 800€?)..

Does anyone have an idea if there's something special about them?
    The Epiphone website lists the price as $999. I think that's pretty much where the Epiphone Broadway has been for some time. Not a huge hike in price if I recall correctly. I've bought several Epiphone archtops and this sounds like a pretty standard price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MtnCat
    The new 2023 Epiphone Broadway has a 25.5" scale length.
    The information on the web site was changed to 25.5" last week.
    I have a 2023 and I can confirm it is 25.5".
    Neck is 3 piece construction, not like the previous version with a stacked heel and scarf joint.
    Made in the Qingdao, China plant.
    Top is about 1 mm thicker at the F hole, my previous Unsung version is 4 mm at same location.
    Ends of F holes are larger, like previous Peerless versions.
    Neck thickness and width is hyper close to previous version I have.
    Depth at certain points for upper and lower bout are about 5-7 mm thicker than previous version.
    Fit and finish/workmanship is wonderful.
    Tuning/intonation with the standard wooden bridge is very stable, with 13-52 Flatwounds locked on the
    Grover tuning keys.
    I kinda like it.
    YMMV.
    Is the body still a tad thinner than the full L5ces thickness? My Broadway is a bit thinner, but the Elitist Broadway was the same depth as the L5ces.

User Info Menu

2023 Broadway

75 mm / 2.95" bass side of neck joint
    78 mm / 3.07" bass side of tail piece
    81 mm / 3.18" max lower bout
    83 mm / 3.26 max upper bout

2011 Broadway

72 mm / 2.83" bass side of neck joint
    75 mm / 2.95" bass side of tail piece
    78 mm / 3.07" max lower bout
    78 mm / 3.07" max upper bout

User Info Menu

It's here! Very nice guitar with a less than perfect setup, but not horrible either. Feels very solid and well made. Finish and workmanship is very good as well. Pickups are really good, definitely smoother and punchier than the previous iterations of Epiphone humbuckers, but not quite as high output as the classic 57s on my 335. Very useable though. The attention to detail is obvious and striking. It came with roundwounds, 11s I believe. I did lower the action a bit as it was quite high. Acoustically it's very lively and projects well. Neck appears to be spot on right now. That may change once I put flatwounds on it. No complaints!

I'm not a gig bag person so I'll be getting a case for it eventually. Therefore, the fact that the gig bag is rather cheap and emits a noxious odour is a mute point for me.

I'll amend this review next week once a get a Tune-o-matic bridge on it, flatwounds and a more precise setup.

Epiphone new "Original" 2023 Broadway-broadway-jpg
    Last edited by WillsJazz; 06-30-2023 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillsJazz
    I'll amend this review next week once a get a Tune-o-matic bridge on it, flatwounds and a more precise setup.
    The guitar looks fantastic! I've been searching everywhere for impressions on the refreshed Broadway and this is the first one I've seen in the wild. Looking forward to reading your take on it.

User Info Menu

Finally this thread is wakening up!
    Looking forward first real life impressions for this new iteration. I might be interested getting one.

User Info Menu

Oo that's nice! I'm really hoping the dealers in the UK stock some of the lefty versions

I'd actually sent a message to epi uk on instagram last year n asking for some lefty archtops especially a Broadway after they commenter on my masterbilt lefty I converted. Great to see they listen n fingers crossed we get them over here.

Saving like mad for one at the mo haha