The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sold one just like this recently. Very nice little guitar.

Attached Images Attached Images More Mustang-fender-mustang-dakotarred-p90-mim-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-12-2023 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Which reminds me, I'm selling one just like this from the Citizenk74 collection, just haven't put together an ad yet. It presents as a new guitar and is way nicer than I thought it would be. Anyone want it?

Without the trem and the very weird switching they are really nice guitars, especially for those of us who can no longer maintain denial about our years.

User Info Menu

i like a mustang , but i wonder why
    they put the switch right there

doesnt it get in the way there ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i like a mustang , but i wonder why
    they put the switch right there

doesnt it get in the way there ?
    Not for me. My hand never moves near there. In fact, my hand never really moves much at all.

User Info Menu

I had one as my go-to for several years and I miss it. They're straight forward guitars that can do anything.

The Mustang got sold because it was just a poorly made version of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway;[URL="tel:1269112"
    1269112[/URL]]Not for me. My hand never moves near there. In fact, my hand never really moves much at all.
    do you play any funky music ?
    or any music that involves a strumming right hand ?

User Info Menu

Love the Mustang (24" scale lenght very comfortable for me). I've owned one (made in Mexico) and sold it after a couple of years (anything between 7 and 10 years ago), which I regret! I loved the Fender sound, for a change, as I play archtop, mainly.

Unfortunately I have no photos of it; the only memory I have of it is via a couple of videos... so you'll have to put up with my sloppy, on the fly, playing...

User Info Menu

Not for many years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Whatever guitar you play, Jim, it sounds like you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Whatever guitar you play, Jim, it sounds like you.
    As my wife reminds me every time I bring home a new guitar. (Although now stuff is on the way out rather than in. I think we may be on the move again, this time headed your way).

User Info Menu

There is something very attracting in the shape and the size of the Mustang. About in 1985 I saw a black one from 1965 in a local music store and bought it.

I had already heard In A Silent Way and loved it, although I hadn’t heard that John McLaughlin played a Mustang on it.

The guitar was a nightmare to keep it in tune and to my ears it sounded thin. Of course I was then a beginner and had only thin strings in it, maybe thicker ones had made it sing. But it was a real good looking guitar so I kept it for some years.

Once our band had a gig in a local night club which had ultraviolet lights. I was shocked: my black Mustang was suddenly light green! In the normal light it got black again.

Years later I wondered this phenomen to a luthier and he said that maybe that guitar had so many layers of green tinted lacquer that it looked black and in UV light almost mint green. I don’t know could it be true.

Anyway I liked the guitar but wanted more from its sound so I thought that if I ask a luthier to make a new thicker body, that would sound ”more solid”. For some reason I wanted a LP style bridge and stop tail for it. And I had seen a picture of a DiMarzio humbucker without top screws and I thought it looked better than anything.

So I got the new body to the guitar and it stayed tune – but sound was still thin. Meh. Blah.

Then I thought that why do I keep an original vintage Mustang body which is not in use. So I asked the same luthier to make a neck for my special Mustang and finally sold the original and kept the thin sounding replica.

For a decade it stayed in my attic without any playing. Then I started to learn about P90 pickups in my Les Pauls. I decided to try if my Mustang would be a good sounding platform for the P90s. I had it routed for bigger pickups and voila, the guitar was born alive!

After a while my ears got fatigued some upper mid frequency of that combination and decided to give a try with normal humbuckers in it. Now after some swapping I have a pair of Seth Lovers in it and I love the guitar!

It is easiest playing guitar I have ever had. It has its own sound that might be a bit light but with the humbuckers it is more convincing that it would be with single coils.

It is so far away from ’normal’ Mustang – or any other ’normal’ guitars – that its sale value is probably very low. That’s why it will maybe be the last guitar I will have.

But that’s ok, it is fun to play and in rock-pop sense it can do everything I need. (I have never tried flats on it.) Sometimes I wonder why do I have any other guitars.

More Mustang-b3504d3e-5940-4ec2-bb75-0931d31bff14-jpg

More Mustang-f195e56a-452c-48c7-bde4-389bc58c00ad-jpg

More Mustang-64c59d63-d23c-493d-a709-29adb2c820bc-jpg

User Info Menu

I do, and yes, if I'm not careful my right-hand can accidentally change the volume!

But my Mustang is still my go-to guitar. I like its slenderness, amongst other things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I had already heard In A Silent Way and loved it, although I hadn’t heard that John McLaughlin played a Mustang on it.
    He didn't, on In A Silent Way he played a Gibson Hummingbird with a DeArmond pickup. He played a Mustang on Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Cellar Door/Live-Evil and a few other recordings with Miles such as Big Fun and the first track of On The Corner, as well as his own incredible album Devotion where he plays one with a psychedelic painted design and a humbucker -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    He didn't, on In A Silent Way he played a Gibson Hummingbird with a DeArmond pickup. He played a Mustang on Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Cellar Door/Live-Evil and a few other recordings with Miles such as Big Fun and the first track of On The Corner, as well as his own incredible album Devotion where he plays one with a psychedelic painted design and a humbucker -

Thanks for correcting. I remembered wrong one of JM’s interview. Now when I search about his gear on those days there is a lot of talk about Fender Musicmaster and even a Fender Duosonic which Robben Ford borrowed for him… Hmm!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    There is something very attracting in the shape and the size of the Mustang. About in 1985 I saw a black one from 1965 in a local music store and bought it.

The guitar was a nightmare to keep it in tune and to my ears it sounded thin. Of course I was then a beginner and had only thin strings in it, maybe thicker ones had made it sing. But it was a real good looking guitar so I kept it for some years.

Once our band had a gig in a local night club which had ultraviolet lights. I was shocked: my black Mustang was suddenly light green! In the normal light it got black again.

Years later I wondered this phenomen to a luthier and he said that maybe that guitar had so many layers of green tinted lacquer that it looked black and in UV light almost mint green. I don’t know could it be true.

Anyway I liked the guitar but wanted more from its sound so I thought that if I ask a luthier to make a new thicker body, that would sound ”more solid”. For some reason I wanted a LP style bridge and stop tail for it. And I had seen a picture of a DiMarzio humbucker without top screws and I thought it looked better than anything.

So I got the new body to the guitar and it stayed tune – but sound was still thin. Meh. Blah.

Then I thought that why do I keep an original vintage Mustang body which is not in use. So I asked the same luthier to make a neck for my special Mustang and finally sold the original and kept the thin sounding replica.

For a decade it stayed in my attic without any playing. Then I started to learn about P90 pickups in my Les Pauls. I decided to try if my Mustang would be a good sounding platform for the P90s. I had it routed for bigger pickups and voila, the guitar was born alive!

After a while my ears got fatigued some upper mid frequency of that combination and decided to give a try with normal humbuckers in it. Now after some swapping I have a pair of Seth Lovers in it and I love the guitar!

It is easiest playing guitar I have ever had. It has its own sound that might be a bit light but with the humbuckers it is more convincing that it would be with single coils.

It is so far away from ’normal’ Mustang – or any other ’normal’ guitars – that its sale value is probably very low. That’s why it will maybe be the last guitar I will have.

But that’s ok, it is fun to play and in rock-pop sense it can do everything I need. (I have never tried flats on it.) Sometimes I wonder why do I have any other guitars.

More Mustang-b3504d3e-5940-4ec2-bb75-0931d31bff14-jpg

More Mustang-f195e56a-452c-48c7-bde4-389bc58c00ad-jpg

More Mustang-64c59d63-d23c-493d-a709-29adb2c820bc-jpg
    I'm headed into a similar state of permanence (i.e. unsellability) with mine. The first change was a Lindy Fralin hum cancelling P90 in the neck position. Now I'm about to get a new custom neck: roasted maple shaft and board, 12" radius, medium jumbo frets, minimal rolling of the edges, 1.75" nut width and a much thicker profile. When that goes on, the pickup switch will be removed from the circuit so it will be neck pickup only with no chance of accidentally changing it. Maybe even remove the bridge pickup.