The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    But we do agree on the fact that strings wound with a round wire sound better than flat-wounds….
    ”Better” is a personal choice, not an objective assessment. Most of us use the strings that we think sound best on our own guitars. Those who don’t usually have a good reason and are balancing some combination of feel, tension, intonation, availability, cost etc with sound.

We all have preferences, and some out there prefer strings that many others dislike and would never use. It’s not a matter of right vs wrong or better vs worse.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    ”Better” is a personal choice, not an objective assessment.
    I'd hope it's obvious that "better" in "sounds better" can only be objective, esp. in the context of 2 people discussing their (dis)likes.

But I think there's also a reason why flat-wounds don't have a larger share of the total string offering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I like their “Bright Flats” a lot on some of my guitars.
    I like the Brite Flats as well! They have a weird sticky feeling when new which normal playing will remove over time--I find if I pull the strings through 0000 grade steel wool 3-4 times before installing them they are immediately much nicer to play!

User Info Menu

RJVB, you misspelled 'subjective'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    RJVB, you misspelled 'subjective'.
    You think, or were you the first to notice?

User Info Menu

GHS (strings) - Wikipedia

GHS supplied strings to Heritage and probably Gibson. They I believe are the first to make "balanced string sets". Ren Wall from Gibson then Heritage, a clever guy, weighed the pull on strings to get them to pitch. The inspired GHS to post the lbs to get to pitch of each string on the packets. The idea was to have even tension across the nut to prevent neck twisting. I admire the effort put into that concept. I'm not sure balancing the set matters much for neck longevity. Other string companies now state the tensions of the strings.

I've met some the workers at GHS. They seem like the same kind of folks who put together the 1960s Gibsons.

Regardless, the strings seem decent and are affordable. Brite Flats are nice if you sand or steel wool them down about five strokes before installing them. The same is true with
    Half Rounds.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 06-16-2023 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I use to use GHS Boomers (10s) when I was changing strings nightly for pop/show gigs. I think they were around $3-4, that's why I did.