The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Documenting my progress, post-spinal surgery, day 5.
    Special thanks to Dr. Manish Kasliwal who performed the surgery and gave a second life to my jazz guitar playing. At day 5 I am at about 80% of my former chops. Amazing that I can play pain free again, especially after only a few days of healing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great news and a Amen !

thanks, and other than cut neck muscles and a 10lb lifting limit, really no pain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    thanks, and other than cut neck muscles and a 10lb lifting limit, really no pain.
    No Norlin era Lesters should be in your immediate future (not that you would ever want one of those at our age. I do not miss my 11 pound 1975 Les Paul Custom a bit). Ultra modern weight reduction or chambering is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    No Norlin era Lesters should be in your immediate future (not that you would ever want one of those at our age. I do not miss my 11 pound 1975 Les Paul Custom a bit). Ultra modern weight reduction or chambering is your friend.
    I actually recently bought a 2008 Les Paul standard that has the extreme chambering. It weighs 7.3lb. Unfortunately, while it sounds great, it's not completely a les paul sound but close enough for an old guy like me i guess...

Gibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-20230522_113814-jpgGibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-20230522_113825-jpgGibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-gibson-weight-relief-chambered-jpg

User Info Menu

Jack I am so glad since back surgery can be iffy at best sometimes. One can play with discomfort but not with pain. Now you just need a really light fully acoustic archtop so how about an L5c.

yeah, would love an L5 of any type. I've got my eye on a kessel but not sure I want to spend $6k

User Info Menu

I actually recently bought a 2008 Les Paul standard that has the extreme chambering. It weighs 7.3lb. Unfortunately, while it sounds great, it's not completely a les paul sound but close enough for an old guy like me i guess...

Gibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-20230522_113814-jpgGibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-20230522_113825-jpgGibson 175, Helix Stomp, Post Spinal Surgery day 5-gibson-weight-relief-chambered-jpg
    Your lemon burst Standard looks like a nice guitar. I have played a few fully chambered Lesters and I agree, they do not have the traditional Les Paul sound. They are pretty close to the Gibson Pat Martino IMO, and have a sound approaching 335 territory (but not quite 335 to be sure). I have two Lesters in the harem at present. I have a 2016 Les Paul Traditional that has the original 9 hole weight relief and weighs a bit over 9.5 pounds (I can hang with this guitar for a gig so long as I am seated the whole time), but the tone is classic Les Paul. I also have a 2017 Les Paul Studio that has the ultra modern weight relief and weighs just under 8 pounds. The tone is also classic Les Paul albeit a bit on the dark side. I suspect that the Studio model gets a slightly thinner maple cap and that explains the dark tone. That one I can tolerate on a gig standing up. The Lesters coming out of the Nashville plant have been pretty good, IMO. Enjoy yours, but don't overdo it. You need to take it easy and heal. Your guitars will be waiting for you.....

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Jack.

User Info Menu

Documenting my progress, post-spinal surgery, day 5.
    Special thanks to Dr. Manish Kasliwal who performed the surgery and gave a second life to my jazz guitar playing. At day 5 I am at about 80% of my former chops. Amazing that I can play pain free again, especially after only a few days of healing.

One thing I know is change bis inevitable.

I'm glad to hear the great news.

User Info Menu

yeah, would love an L5 of any type. I've got my eye on a kessel but not sure I want to spend $6k
    Jack,

I may soon have my hands on a spruce top BK Custom that might work for you if not being all original isn’t an issue for you. It would definitely be less than 6k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Jack,

I may soon have my hands on a spruce top BK Custom that might work for you if not being all original isn’t an issue for you. It would definitely be less than 6k.

ah, let me know!

User Info Menu

Good for you Jack !

Continued best wishes !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Jack, great news! To be up and about this quick- percutaneous/minimally invasive surgery?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Ha! Still have my ‘73! Don’t play it much, but such a great neck. Might do a pickup swap sometime. Funny, the weight never bothered me, gigged with it for 3 years straight, but that was over 40 years ago. But yes, not recommended for Jack, he’s had a few back issues prior, as I recall. Would like him to continue to play well for several more years.

At least it wasn’t like Larry Carlton’s shooting injury. That and Pat Martino’s recovery from his brain aneurysm are two modern day miracles in the history of guitar.

And don’t forget Mike Stern’s wrist fracture and associated nerve damage.

Maybe Jimmy Bruno’s recovery from CVA, as well.

Might make for a good thread… “Injured Guitarists I Have Known.”

User Info Menu

You're already standing and playing after 5 days?
    Bravo sir and congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Ha! Still have my ‘73! Don’t play it much, but such a great neck. Might do a pickup swap sometime. Funny, the weight never bothered me, gigged with it for 3 years straight, but that was over 40 years ago. But yes, not recommended for Jack, he’s had a few back issues prior, as I recall. Would like him to continue to play well for several more years.

At least it wasn’t like Larry Carlton’s shooting injury. That and Pat Martino’s recovery from his brain aneurysm are two modern day miracles in the history of guitar.

And don’t forget Mike Stern’s wrist fracture and associated nerve damage.

Maybe Jimmy Bruno’s recovery from CVA, as well.

Might make for a good thread… “Injured Guitarists I Have Known.”
    Frank Vignola had a pretty bad ATV injury a few years back and recovered. Thank goodness!

User Info Menu

That's awesome. 5 days is like you just got out of surgery as far as recovery time. In a couple months you'll be certified refurbished!!!

User Info Menu

I'm overjoyed that you're doing so well! It's great to see--and HEAR--you back in the saddle again. All the very best for continued successful recovery!

User Info Menu

Wonderful to hear you're recovering so well and so quickly! Take care.

User Info Menu

ah, let me know!
    Well, I have it, but I think I may hang onto it at least for now. It’s non-originality was overstated also. I think it may have some overspray, but once I put the original tuners from the case back on it appears to be all original, except maybe for a little overspray.