The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The other day, the "thunk" on a 6th string sounded a bit too dead. So I changed the strings. But I'm wondering whether that's just my ear saying: "Dude: Modify your right hand or try a different string." This is with Thomastik JS-111's. I'd replaced the 1st string with a 13 for a bit less twang... and that worked but also seems a path many follow.

But 6th still seems a little less musical than I'd like. The rest sound great. Combo of round basses and flat trebles... is that just too weird, or maybe I should just try a heavier flat 6th? And yes, it's likely me and not the string. Just wondering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

First of all, there is no such thing as flat treble strings. They are round and virtually identical whether you use round or flat wounds.

Second, Thomastik makes a set of strings for flat top guitar that has polished / flat G, D and A strings and an unpolished E string. Works fine with me.

Personally, I should think that the difference between a round wound E string and flatwound strings is a bit harsh. I actually tried a similar combination and the round wound strings sound quite twangy in comparison. Maybe try a lighter E string instead?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums come with a mix of round and flatwound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

docsteve and thatrhythmman: Thanks to both of you guys for the reply. TI Plectrums look to be aimed at acoustic archtop? I've r-e-a-d bronze wounds don't play nicely with electric pickups. I've not actually tested that outr, but have seen some pickups actually aimed at bronze strings now-a-days. Unless that reading is off base (as so much internet stuff can be), I'd probably make a first stop with a lighter gauge 6th string.

User Info Menu

I’ve never tried a Plectrum set on an electric guitar, but I have played other bronze wound strings on electric guitars with good results. I’m going to guess that they would work, but might require some adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I tried the plectrums back when I had a Loar 600. Weird ass strings. I think I had heard they were good for an archtop, but then they were low tension and the basses were barely long enough to fit...

The flat tops/half rounds...hated those.

No harm in trying a wound sixth. I think Pizzarelli uses a steel 7th string and tape wound 6,5,4,3...

User Info Menu

spencer096: Gee... beer was so good... I got an ambiguous face punch "to go"? Didn't say the mix was a good idea... only that it was AN idea.
    mr beaumont: Tape wounds. Have a pack. Haven't tried the set 'cause I've tended to like the flatwounds that much. Next round! as a full set. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWMandy
    spencer096: Gee... beer was so good... I got an ambiguous face punch "to go"? Didn't say the mix was a good idea... only that it was AN idea.
    mr beaumont: Tape wounds. Have a pack. Haven't tried the set 'cause I've tended to like the flatwounds that much. Next round! as a full set. Thanks!
    The tapewounds never did it for me either, plus they're all weird and thick and might not fit through the tuner post. I was more suggesting, people do mix types and the string police don't arrest them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWMandy
    clearly, i was joking around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    clearly, i was joking around.
    Yes I know. Loved it. Loved the guy coming through the screen to punch me... no, to "sink his fist 6-inches into my face" as the expression goes. VERY 1970's.

User Info Menu

Oh yes!
    (learned from suggestions from this forum)

If you like a wound 3rd in a light set (10, 11 sets) normally those sets come with a plain 3rd.

But you can buy Thomastik single flat 3rd in light gauges (.19 .20 .21 if I remember correctly) and even being flats they work pretty well in a round set ending in (from 6th to 1rst):

round-round-round-flat-plain-plain

If you dislike a plain 3rd I found this a satisfactory solution (for me)

(I guess though that this will be sort of the “reverse” case: mixing our rounds with a flat, haha, oh well…)

User Info Menu

Bucky (and maybe John, haven't looked) used a round 7th string along with his tape-wound set, AFAICT. Probably because that was what was available, and maybe because by the time you get that big and low frequency, there isn't that much difference. I've never considered mixing a standard 6-string set, though. I'm not a fan of flat-wound strings, though.

User Info Menu

Didn’t Joe Pass use hybrid round and flat sets?

User Info Menu

If I recall correctly, the Gibson Johnny Smith strings had either a roundwound 6th and the rest flatwound or vice versa.

User Info Menu

It's very common to mix string types on upright basses, no reason you can't on electric.

It might or might not sound good. Easy to find out.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to thank you guys and report back. FWIW, just pulled off the 6th string. So now my setup has the following Thomastik-Infeld flats:

P13 - P15 - P19 JS25 - JS35 - JS44

I'd like to switch the P15 for a P16 and call it done: 13-16-19 on trebles and then 25-35-44 on basses.
    Kind of interesting that ordering these individually ends up cheaper than buying a JS-111 set by about 36 cents. And that's a NICE surprise.

Basically what you end up with is a JS-111 set BUT switching so that you have a 1st string taken from the JS113 set, a 2nd string from the JS112, and a 6th string from the JS110. I'm playing a short scale guitar, but this sounds VERY even and musical to my ears. Short scale pretty much demands an amplified tone in my mind... and so this is set for that. And on that rig, it's a light touch, but seems to stand up fairly well to pushing a little harder, too. Sure as I am that I lose something with short scale and with this set up, I kind of prefer the amplified archtop tone I think (for now), and a light rig works.

Had a D'Addario 42, but I think that might be getting too close to the 5th string tone and might push for another switch. Since this sounds good enough, I'm not going there for a while at least.