The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-ddd9c067-217a-455d-9e91-60b75c8e7fde-jpeg
    Any ideas what it is? It’s a mishmash for sure, but I’m liking it.
    Last edited by customxke; 05-30-2023 at 07:05 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whatever the guitar is, it looks like it probably belonged to Sacha Distel:

Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-b_gav9ewwaeplgt-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Otterfan
    Whatever the guitar is, it looks like it probably belonged to Sacha Distel:
    Thanks for that! Found a bunch of other pics now that I have that info. Looks like an electric L4, with an L5 style neck, originally with Alnicos, and later a CC style pickup.
    Last edited by customxke; 05-29-2023 at 06:25 PM.

User Info Menu

It is Sacha’s and it’s a Jacobacci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    It is Sacha’s and it’s a Jacobacci.

That’s a different guitar…..count the knobs.
    Here is another pic of the Gibson:

Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-6c2bb7da-b9b0-4d22-8ea1-769e36ba20f0-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    That’s a different guitar…..count the knobs.
    Here is another pic of the Gibson:

Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-6c2bb7da-b9b0-4d22-8ea1-769e36ba20f0-jpeg
    You’re right. It’s either a different one or it was modified further. The one Pele is holding is a Jacobacci of his nonetheless.

User Info Menu

How about this video instead?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    You’re right. It’s either a different one or it was modified further. The one Pele is holding is a Jacobacci of his nonetheless.

The guitar Pele is holding has a Gibson tailpiece, and a switch, like Sacha’s Gibson. The Jacobacci doesn’t have a switch. My money is that it’s an L-4 (as pictured below, from Duchossoir’s “Gibson Electrics”, pg 107) with an added 2-point mounted bar pickup (maybe from a lap steel?). You can see in some of the pics that the pickguard cutout around the CC looks to be oversized, to fit the Alnico pickups.
    Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-3a03e799-71b8-44f1-ba15-3a52586bef32-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-bde7b8d7-9018-47bb-8b85-06f413233f4d-jpg Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-f095517c-d3dc-4f4f-b74f-6afedc527c99-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    The guitar Pele is holding has a Gibson tailpiece, and a switch, like Sacha’s Gibson. The Jacobacci doesn’t have a switch. My money is that it’s an L-4 (as pictured below, from Duchossoir’s “Gibson Electrics”, pg 107) with an added 2-point mounted bar pickup (maybe from a lap steel?). You can see in some of the pics that the pickguard cutout around the CC looks to be oversized, to fit the Alnico pickups.
    Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-3a03e799-71b8-44f1-ba15-3a52586bef32-jpg
    You’re probably right. I usually think of the Jacobacci.

User Info Menu

Distel had almost as many guitars as women. this is one of the L-5's he had, w/Alnicos I believe.

Hard to tell if it's an L-4 or 175 w/L-5 neck
    in this clip it has a 175 zig zag t.p., but probably an L-4 as it has sunburst sides [not that that couldn't be a custom feature too]
    the guitar w/ Pele has unbound f holes and is likely a Gibson probably w/ added CC as XKE said

this pic w Pops is the Jacobaci

L-5C

ES-350TN

User Info Menu

If you’ve ever paid notice of my thumbnail, you can probably understand why I always think of the Jacobacci first (it’s the pic of Louis above).

User Info Menu

My playing has never attracted an audience like that. Maybe I should have practiced guitar more diligently when I was young?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Distel had almost as many guitars as women. this is one of the L-5's he had, w/Alnicos I believe.

or, respectfully, this photo should be titled:

" BB in a bathing suit on a couch with a guy and 2 guitars '..... or maybe

"Ok, Sacha, you can stop practicing, you got the girl. "

: )

User Info Menu

This thread is actually "Sacha's Guitars." My pet theory is that Distel was slated for one of the Gibson signature guitars, along with Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, and Tal Farlow, but baled and went back to France. He kept a couple of prototypes along with a few other cool archtops, and ended up working with Jacobacci (a great builder, for those who are unaware of him).

Gibson plugged Trini Lopez into that slot. The never-introduced Distel model was an L-4C w/L-5 neck details and single coil pickups. Gibson did make a few of them, but it was many years before they took another swing at the concept with the L-4CES.

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-30-2023 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

That is one of the earliest examples of a fake CC pickup I have seen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    That is one of the earliest examples of a fake CC pickup I have seen.
    I doubt it’s fake. It looks like a CC pickup from an EH-150, similar to Alvino Rey’s 2 pickup ES-250 from 1940. These were a different construction from the ES-150 units, but they were still legit Gibson products, produced concurrently with the more traditional CC pickups.

User Info Menu

I remember reading an interview with Sacha in a french jazz magazine, where he said that his uncle, pianist and conductor Ray Ventura, had sent him to NYC, to work in his publishing company.
    And during his stay he took the opportunity to order through Manny's his custom L4 with L5 style neck and Alnico PUs . Afterwards you can see photos of him playing the same custom whith Klusons, various tailpices, Grover Imperials etc
    Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-10184069-1959-l-arrivee-de-la-caravelle-jpg

and the famous CC pickup
    Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-distel-175-custom-3-jpg

The guitar you see him playing with Armstrong is an early model of Jacobacci Gimenes made before the Distel model .
    Raymond Gimenes is a famous jazz and session guitarist and accompanist of famous singers, among them, Petula Clark, and member of the Guitars Unlimited.He also conducted Sacha Distel's orchestra .He reconts that, accompanying Petula on a US tour, he bought three CC pickup at Manny's (again!) to bring back to Jacobacci brothers who were making his model.
    Sacha gave his guitar to a friend, Guitarist Simon Lustigman
    Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-gimenes-distel-lustigman-2-jpg
    you can see here the bobin (the hexagonal plate is missing)

Sacha’s guitar, as played by Pele?-gibcceh-jpg
    probably of this kind

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested in the Jacobacci Gimenes, there's one for sale here :
    Occasion Guitare jazz Jacobacci Raymond Gimenes Guitare Village Domont 95

No affiliation, it's just a fine looking guitar IMO