The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I've put together this video showing the differences between 3 of Ibanez's archtops; a flagship, artist and standard model.
    I've not made this type of video before and am new to making videos in general, so it's far from perfect but I hope enjoyable enough.
    Any criticisms and or things I can add going forward, would be great.
    I can and likely will amend the video over time to make it more definitive but I think it's ready enough to post now.
    I did make audio clips of each guitar but lost them and sold the FG-100, so am unable to redo them. Instead I chose examples of each guitar
    being played by looking through videos on YouTube.
    I also forgot to measure the top thickness's and that's something I will likely go back and do. They are all roughly 5.5mm for those interested.
    I will do the sides and back thickness too at some point.

Ooh and a shout out to Marty Gras. This ones for you! I finally got round to doing some internals.
    Last edited by Archie; 05-27-2023 at 06:04 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you, nice video, Love all three of them! I was surprised by how much the neck width varies at 12th fret! Would be nice to know the neck-thickness aswell (though I think all three of them have a slim C or D neck (my JP20 had a slim one), very sweet memories of my JP20 back in 1986! Although, after seeing this video it makes more sense why it didn't workout for me in the long run (apart from pickup placement): wide nut and 25.5" scale length, hence replacing it with a second hand GB10 (sweet memories of that one too!

There was also an Ibanez FG100 type model with a florentine cutaway, if I remember (a friend of mine had one), correct? What was the name of that one?

I love Ibanez Jazzboxes! I'm eagerly waiting for my new AF2000 :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Frabarmus.

Good point on the neck thickness.

I’ll find a way to do it and add it on.

I think the florentine model you're referring to is called an FA-100?

User Info Menu

I think Joe D got the best sound out of that JP20 I've ever heard from one. Nice job! Unfortunately, it's really hard to compare three different instruments played by different musicians under very different conditions and glean a strong sense of what they sound like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I think Joe D got the best sound out of that JP20 I've ever heard from one. Nice job! Unfortunately, it's really hard to compare three different instruments played by different musicians under very different conditions and glean a strong sense of what they sound like.
    Thanks Cunamara.

I agree with you about the sound comparison.
    Yes Joe got a good sound, he has a great ear.

Check out Joe pass and Red Mitchell playing in Stockholm, I think the other Joe finally got a good tone out of his too.

Last edited by Archie; 05-29-2023 at 05:16 PM.