The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm like the proverbial kid at Christmas. Its so exciting I can't sit still. My brand new burst Heritage Eagle Classic Standard is due on my doorstep tomorrow. Love those brown trucks. Well, sort of anyway. I've waited over 2 years for it. I waited 1 1/2 years for a Gibson L5CES about 20 years ago.

Anyway, I did get an opportunity to see and play my new "baby," yesterday. To say I was impressed would be a massive understatement. The tone, craftsmanship, fit and finish, and attention to detail were all superb. Sometimes life is good. Sometimes really good. I'll try to get some pics up on the forum soon. This one's a lifetime keeper.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can’t wait to see it! Early congrats!

User Info Menu

You got to play it yesterday, but UPS is delivering it tomorrow?

Kind of confusing, isn't it? I live in Iowa, about 30 miles across the Iowa/Missouri state line. The dealer is across the state line in Missouri. If I would have taken the guitar home with me it would have cost me much more for Missouri sales tax. I therefore chose to have the guitar shipped instead of taking it home with me. Saved me a good chunk of change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Kind of confusing, isn't it? I live in Iowa, about 30 miles across the Iowa/Missouri state line. The dealer is across the state line in Missouri. If I would have taken the guitar home with me it would have cost me much more for Missouri sales tax. I therefore chose to have the guitar shipped instead of taking it home with me. Saved me a good chunk of change.
    I bought a guitar maybe 20 years ago from Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island, and they shipped to my house about an hour away in New Jersey for the same reason

User Info Menu

Whatever works. I am somewhat surprised that the shipping was cheaper than the sales tax, but I've been surprised before. I don't know much about Missouri.

User Info Menu

I did the same thing with 3 guitars from Professional Music in Des Moines as I live in MN. In my case we just pretended we shipped them. Don't tell anyone! Enjoy your new guitar.
    Thanks John

What a MESS!! Well, this is my 1st attempt at posting pics on this forum. Please be patient. As you can see I'm a terrible photographer. Furthermore, as you can see, I'm not techy at all. Sorry guys. But this is as good as I can do.

Anyway, this guitar sounds every bit as good as it looks (so does the mandolin). The pic definitely doesn't do the guitar justice. But the tone is so robust, balanced, and warm. The SQ is outstanding as is the fit and finish. This one's a life long keeper.Been A Long Wait-20230526_160815-1-jpgBeen A Long Wait-20230526_160815-1-jpgBeen A Long Wait-20230526_184837-jpg

User Info Menu

I think Heritage did a very smart thing by keeping the Eagle Classic in the line-up. This model has single-layer binding throughout and no inlays beyond the headstock logo, which keeps the cost down. Labour-intensive cosmetic decor that has nothing to do with performance has been stripped out, but the wood is quite gorgeous.

Some history of Eagle Classic pricing:
    1995 -List Price w/case -USD 2,875-3,275 (depending on finish);
    1996 -List Price w/case -USD 3,160-3,560 (depending on finish);

2007 -List Price w/case -USD 5,500;
    2017 -List Price w/case -USD 5,950;
    2023 -L
    ist Price w/case -USD 5,299 (up from @4,850 last time I visited their site, ha!).

My guess is that Heritage builds these to order, with minimal in-stock, partially finished, WIP.

By comparison, the current listed price for a Campellone Standard is USD 5,495, which includes a case and one pickup.

Love the pickguard - Macassar ebony?
    Attached Images Attached Images Been A Long Wait-heritage-ge-classic-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-29-2023 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations. It's beautiful. Enjoy every moment together.

User Info Menu

Very exciting!
    Enjoy your new guitar! It’s a beauty and I hope it’s all the guitar you ever hoped for.
    I love seeing someone get excited over a guitar. It’s a special moment in life and the excitement should never be curtailed.
    ENJOY!!
    JD

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar! may she inspire your playing for many years to come.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.

User Info Menu

Always a good thing when a brand new archtop in born into this world.

Congrats ! A real beauty.

User Info Menu

Beautiful burst.. may you long enjoy in good health..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I think Heritage did a very smart thing by keeping the Eagle Classic in the line-up. This model has single-layer binding throughout and no inlays beyond the headstock logo, which keeps the cost down. Labour-intensive cosmetic decor that has nothing to do with performance has been stripped out, but the wood is quite gorgeous.

I personally prefer fingerboards with no inlays. I think it looks classier. And since I’m not looking at the fingerboard while playing, they serve no purpose. Inlays are also just one more thing that can mess with your instrument as it ages. It’s a bonus that not installing them keeps costs down.

I can see where guitar educators would want inlays, so students can better see what the teachers are doing.

User Info Menu

That's a real beauty.