The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting beast.

1940 ETB-150 - Banjo Hangout

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A number of Gibson products featured bar pickups with a six sided surround, but internally they are different form a "Charlie Christian" pickup:

1940 "CC" banjo-gm381-shot-rob-toma-lap-steel-3@1050x1400-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images 1940 "CC" banjo-gm381-shot-rob-toma-lap-steel-26@1050x1400-jpg 

[QUOTE=icr;1267711]A number of Gibson products featured bar pickups with a six sided surround, but internally they are different form a "Charlie Christian" pickup:/QUOTE]

Yes, this is the first 4 string I've seen. I'm wondering if any were used on tenor guitars. I've seen tenors with a 4-pole P90.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yes, this is the first 4 string I've seen. I'm wondering if any were used on tenor guitars. I've seen tenors with a 4-pole P90.
    Here's an example of a CC Tenor guitar, although that one has the 3-point-mount.

Gibson Charlie Christian Tenor Guitar 1937 Sunburst finish | Reverb UK

Paul

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Woody Sound;1267718]
    Quote Originally Posted by icr
    A number of Gibson products featured bar pickups with a six sided surround, but internally they are different form a "Charlie Christian" pickup:/QUOTE]

This one's been listed as F/S for a year....

1937 Gibson ES-150T Tenor | Reverb

User Info Menu

Very interesting. Never seen one before. Looks to me as there is a hand tremolo directly behind the bridge. How is the player supposed to use that? I have a plectrum banjo myself and banjo's are not known for having a long sustain after picking a note? I assume the player has to constanctly pick downstroke/upstroke alternately and in the meantime use the handtrem with his handpalm. What type of music does that fit in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Very interesting. Never seen one before. Looks to me as there is a hand tremolo directly behind the bridge. How is the player supposed to use that? I have a plectrum banjo myself and banjo's are not known for having a long sustain after picking a note? I assume the player has to constanctly pick downstroke/upstroke alternately and in the meantime use the handtrem with his handpalm. What type of music does that fit in?
    On the instrument pictured in the OP, the drumskin top of a normal banjo has been replaced by a piece of wood. Thus I would expect it to sustain like any solid body / ES135 type guitar.

As for the Gibson ES150 tenor guitar with CC pickup, Tiny Grimes, who worked in the Art Tatum Trio in the 1940s, used one. Later he was pictured with a similar guitar (the 150 or a 125?) with a P90. Still later pictures shows him using a blonde cutaway Guild with a humbucker looking PU. All 4 string tenor models.
    Last edited by oldane; 05-26-2023 at 03:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    On the instrument pictured in the OP, the drumskin top of a normal banjo has been replaced by a piece of wood. Thus I would expect it to sustain like any solid body / ES135 type guitar.

As for the Gibson ES150 tenor guitar with CC pickup, Tiny Grimes, who worked in the Art Tatum Trio in the 1940s, used one. Later he was pictured with a similar guitar (the 150 or a 125?) with a P90. Still later pictures shows him using a blonde cutaway Guild with a humbucker looking PU. All 4 string tenor models.
    Two of Tiny’s guitars sold at auction late last year, an Epiphone and a Guild.

Tiny Grimes' circa 1939 Epiphone Tenor Natural Acoustic Tenor Guitar, Serial #2997.. ... ha.com ha.com

Tiny Grimes' circa 1966 Guild CE-100 VL Tenor Natural Acoustic Tenor Guitar.. ... ha.com ha.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk