The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I was under the impression that Gibson isn’t currently making fully carved hollow body archtop guitars but this new Gibson Custom Shop L-4 in an ebony finish just showed up at the The Music Zoo: Gibson Custom Shop L-4 Archtop Ebony | The Music Zoo. I also just checked the custom shop offerings and didn’t see this particular model being offered. Maybe it’s new old stock? Or are Gibson fully carved hollow body archtop guitars available as a special order? Just wondering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nobody knows for sure. A "Gibson Rep" has posted on some other forum that archtops are coming back, but that could just be a crazy person. I think someone here emailed Gibson directly and they said they aren't producing archtops, and then they keep popping up here and there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    I was under the impression that Gibson isn’t currently making fully carved hollow body archtop guitars but this new Gibson Custom Shop L-4 in an ebony finish just showed up at the The Music Zoo: Gibson Custom Shop L-4 Archtop Ebony | The Music Zoo. I also just checked the custom shop offerings and didn’t see this particular model being offered. Maybe it’s new old stock? Or are Gibson fully carved hollow body archtop guitars available as a special order? Just wondering.
    Everything about that image looks odd.

It could be poorly taken pictures; over exposure, lens distortion etc.. but the body shape looks wrong, the headstock to neck thickness looks wrong. The fingerboard looks like it's from a factory in Korea.

I'm not saying it's a fake but it's an interesting example.

User Info Menu

7 grand for a black L-4??
    My how times have changed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Everything about that image looks odd.

It could be poorly taken pictures; over exposure, lens distortion etc.. but the body shape looks wrong, the headstock to neck thickness looks wrong. The fingerboard looks like it's from a factory in Korea.

I'm not saying it's a fake but it's an interesting example.
    The Music Zoo is a well known guitar dealer here in the States so it’s not a fake but I also looked at the photos thinking it didn’t look quite right. Perhaps it’s the black finish which is obscuring some of the contours of the body?

User Info Menu

They have been quietly building their classic archtops for the last few years. One of our forum members just picked up a brand new 2023 Byrdland and they picked up a 2022 L5 last year.

They said Gibson will not be building any new archtops for 1 to 2 years. So we'll see.

It's possible they are still catching up on backorders and won't be taking any new orders for a year or two. More likely they are taking a pause to rework their high tier archtop line, training new workers, standing up a new dedicated assembly area or all of the above and more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    7 grand for a black L-4??
    My how times have changed.
    Indeed! I surely wouldn’t be considering it if I was in the market for an L-4. So many nice used and vintage ones available for less. And the woods on this one are most likely lacking in any figuring given that it has been sprayed with a black finish.

User Info Menu

The guitar looks legit except for the rosewood fingerboard. I recall that L4's had ebony along with the gold hardware, solid wood and generally higher end appointments than an ES-175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    The guitar looks legit except for the rosewood fingerboard. I recall that L4's had ebony along with the gold hardware, solid wood and generally higher end appointments than an ES-175.
    I just took a look on Reverb and the later CES version typically had an ebony fingerboard. The earlier ones had a rosewood fingerboard. That’s just based on my brief sample. And I take back what I said about getting a used or vintage L-4 for less than what the new one is going for.

User Info Menu

The current L4’s went to rosewood boards in 2015.
    2014 was the last year for ebony boards on L4’s.

On a black L4 an ebony board would have looked much nicer IMO.

User Info Menu

And I take back what I said about getting a used or vintage L-4 for less than what the new one is going for.
    I thought that might end up being the case.

User Info Menu

Based on the serial number it looks like it was built in 2020.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Nobody knows for sure. A "Gibson Rep" has posted on some other forum that archtops are coming back, but that could just be a crazy person. I think someone here emailed Gibson directly and they said they aren't producing archtops, and then they keep popping up here and there.
    If you knew who the "Gibson Rep" was, you'd probably not call him a crazy person. It's Gibson Senior Director of Product Development Mat Koehler.
    He did an AMA on another forum, answering questions of all kinds, it's currently at 74 pages.

User Info Menu

Black guitars are not my thing. Never ever a black guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Based on the serial number it looks like it was built in 2020.
    Was trying to decipher the serial number. So it seems like new old stock (NOS). Maybe they got it from another dealer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Black guitars are not my thing. Never ever a black guitar.
    I wouldn't buy one, if I'm going to spend that much for a guitar I'd want to see the wood even if its just spruce and unfigured maple. But I don't think black guitars are ugly, especially an L5 or Super 400 w gold hardware, and they'd look spiffy on a formal gig.

User Info Menu

As far as Gibsons are concerned, black Les Paul Customs and ES355's with gold hardware are gorgeous to me.

Black Gibson archtops are an acquired taste.

User Info Menu

The Music Zoo is a well known guitar dealer here in the States so it’s not a fake but I also looked at the photos thinking it didn’t look quite right. Perhaps it’s the black finish which is obscuring some of the contours of the body?
    I think it's a combination of overexposed pics and the pure white background. There's also something wonky in the white balance - the binding is snow white in many of the pics and detail is washed out, which gives an odd look to the guitar in some of the pics (like the heel area in the full back shot).

I'm not a fan of black either. But I got an amazing deal that I couldn't pass up on a black single p'up 165 when they first came out ('91, IIRC). From the price I paid and the dealer's poorly disguised desperation, I assume that there was little to no interest in it. It showed every fingerprint, smudge, dust speck etc. But apart from the color, it was a wonderful guitar. So I tolerated the finish - but I sold it within a few years when I went exclusively to 7 strings.

I'd buy another black guitar if it was otherwise wonderful and the price was right. But I never really enjoyed looking at the only black guitar I ever owned.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy one, if I'm going to spend that much for a guitar I'd want to see the wood even if its just spruce and unfigured maple. But I don't think black guitars are ugly, especially an L5 or Super 400 w gold hardware, and they'd look spiffy on a formal gig.
    My black Gretsch 5420 with gold hardware gets a lot of audience compliments. So many that I bought a white 5422 with gold hardware, and that is also greatly admired.

User Info Menu

It looks like the cutaway is too long/round/deep/sharp.

User Info Menu

TMZ is advertising the MAP price as they must. You can get that guitar for far less.
    When I ordered my black L5 it was a $600 up charge from VSB.
    No longer is black the economy color for at least Gibson archtops.
    Black works with white binding and gold hardware but not nickel.
    Same goes with wine IMO.

Yes a bit of a shame to cover nice wood. When you look into the F holes of my L5 you see beautiful flame.
    Black is beautiful but it shows every fingerprint.

New Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-6d0aaaa3-c1e4-4f19-bf36-a745fa5f6208-jpgNew Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-3363d092-d420-44fe-a43e-96006b0d5c42-jpg

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy one, if I'm going to spend that much for a guitar I'd want to see the wood even if its just spruce and unfigured maple.
    "Just" spruce? I remember getting my first really good classical guitar and being mesmerized by the feathering in the spruce top.

User Info Menu

I thought this X500 looked good in black but the black does look quite translucent.

New Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-efdb1ad9-22b9-4e55-9183-35d61c7504b3-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    TMZ is advertising the MAP price as they must. You can get that guitar for far less.
    When I ordered my black L5 it was a $600 up charge from VSB.
    No longer is black the economy color for at least Gibson archtops.
    Black works with white binding and gold hardware but not nickel.
    Same goes with wine IMO.

Yes a bit of a shame to cover nice wood. When you look into the F holes of my L5 you see beautiful flame.
    Black is beautiful but it shows every fingerprint.

New Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-6d0aaaa3-c1e4-4f19-bf36-a745fa5f6208-jpgNew Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-3363d092-d420-44fe-a43e-96006b0d5c42-jpg
    I had the opportunity to purchase a black L5 back in 2013 for $5400. I should have moved on it. But I hesitated and it was soon gone. I regret not buying it. I shouldn’t have hesitated especially since I’d already owned a black Golden Eagle which was a stunning non cutaway model.

User Info Menu

New Gibson Custom Shop L-4?-pictures-6-june-20030066-jpg

My black 1988 L4 CES

Pretty sure it has an ebony fingerboard.