The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know how much post-production there is in some YT demo videos, although the guy here is defintely a player. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this gadget in real life and whether the demo'd sounds can be attained by just plugging in and turning a few knobs (adequate technique is a given here). I'm specifically interested in the "Poly Mode, Bowed string, Guitar synth" settings.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I tried it to attempt, unsuccessfully, to emulate the envelope of acoustic upright bass. Returned it within a few days. There are folks doing cool things with it, but it was not for me.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. I haven't seen anyone else on YT getting even close to the first guy's sounds.

User Info Menu

Those are some very cool sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Thanks for that. I haven't seen anyone else on YT getting even close to the first guy's sounds.
    That makes sense… it is Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert - Wikipedia

.. they are trying to sell a pedal, not an unbiased evaluation.

A lot of EHX pedals can be a bit gimmicky. That can also make them fun. Sometimes (often… maybe all most, all the time) I forget that playing/making music should also be just fun. Pedals are fun, and last longer then a vacation.

User Info Menu

I know Bill can play and that he at least had a hand in designing some EHX stuff. I still have an EHX Small Clone chorus pedal had an original "Big Muff" back in the 70s, so the brand and what it has to offer are not new to me.

I've seen vids of different players exacting useful tones from other pedals, but not so much this one, hence my interest in reading feedback derived from personal experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I know Bill can play and that he at least had a hand in designing some EHX stuff. I still have an EHX Small Clone chorus pedal had an original "Big Muff" back in the 70s, so the brand and what it has to offer are not new to me.

I've seen vids of different players exacting useful tones from other pedals, but not so much this one, hence my interest in reading feedback derived from personal experience.
    I am agreeing with you… what Bill
    makes happens is at the height of the pedals abilities. At least that is my assumption.

EHX has always puts out quirky (perhaps gimmicky) pedals. Sometimes they work really well.

The stuff I was able to pull out of my memory boy with an expression pedal was really cool. Then the memory boy exhibited the other ehx characteristic: it broke.

I have a handful of analog ehx pedals. They are among my favorite pedals, but I tend to use other (perhaps stronger) brands.

That is just my two cents. If I was not focused on jazz stuff, and doing the whole other side of electric guitar playing, I would just buy the A/D pedal and flip it if it was not useful or fun.

(There is the EHX forum. Sometimes people put up clips there).
    Last edited by st.bede; 05-20-2023 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I picked one up recently used. I think it's a one-trick pony that takes up some space. I plan on using it full blend with the attack somewhere (3-5 maybe) and the decay at full on. I don't plan on using the effect to do that bubble thing. The manual says that it sounds best with the side you're not trying to manipulate at either full on or off (e.g. attack at 3, decay at 10, attack at 0, decay at 5). From my limited use I think that this is correct. I don't think I'll ever use the distortion side or not use it in poly mode where it has some of the EHX digital artifacts (i.e. kind of a digital noise/your note sounds like an imitation guitar). I also have the Freeze pedal and my only gripe is the same which is that I think that a company like EHX is a little behind in the digital space where their digital pedals aren't true bypass, although I think the buffers sound okay, and the digital effects they have this digital-ness to them (poor writing but you get the point). I haven't spent much time with it since I'm re-building my board but I think I'll keep it simply to take off the attack of the note once in a while when I get the inspiration. It's a once in a while pretend you're Kurt Rosenwinkel pedal lol (minus the talent <- speaking for myself) . They're like $150 used so I would go that route and see what you think.