The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

In March, one of our awesome forum members, deacon Mark, made a poll asking us to answer this question:
    “You are walking along the beach in off the coast of South America and you find a bottle and open it and a Genie pops out. You get these choices and only these what is you preference? Without respect to vintage could even assume them new. Comments on the order of preference if you want.

1. Gibson Super 400ces.
    2. Gibson Super 400c ( acoustic)
    3. Gibson L5ces
    4 Gibson L5c”

I voted for Number 3, and mentioned my long-held desire for an L-5 CES in Natural. I’ve wanted one for many years (you may have seen posts over the years where I have tried to scratch that itch with some Epiphone Broadways which I find to be great platforms for modding).

Anyway, a fellow forum member, jazzkritter (jk), who I’ve known for a few years PM’d me offering to be the genie! Due to jk’s serious health challenges, he no longer finds his L-5 to be comfortable to play and he offered to sell me his beautiful, natural L-5 CES. I was humbled by jk’s generosity and knowing him to be a class act, I talked it over with my wife and quickly went digging for some extra cash. Due to my own serious health issues (thankfully not affecting my hands), my wife and I decided it would be a good time to get this special guitar to enjoy as long as possible. Well, it all worked out so well. I feel grateful to be the next steward of this very special guitar. It was owned since new by jazzkritter and played gently. It has the sweet, mellow voice of a near-34-year-old archtop. I feel blessed to have it.

The top has darkened over the years and it looks amazing. The silky figure throughout the spruce top is as beautiful as the guitar’s voice. It has very subtle but consistent flame all along the sides and one of the prettiest book matched flame maple backs ever. The pickups sound phenomenal and the guitar plays like butter. Signed by James W. Hutchins, I can’t find a flaw on this masterpiece. It has some very light and age-appropriate wear, but has been cared for exceedingly well. I’m proud to own it!

Here are some pics:
    New to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-516df28c-9485-4418-b2ea-60b0cfd0b426-jpgNew to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-1071d764-ba57-49c5-ac16-bf2bf6d7e536-jpgNew to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-91bdc9d5-296f-4897-842f-3f1105e5c11f-jpgNew to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-d2e9350d-af40-47e6-aa88-ed59f46a88ec-jpgNew to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-fe895a96-b0c9-4959-a202-bf71403a62bc-jpg

I’m going to go play it a little more for the evening before going to bed with a smile on my face. This special guitar has some really cool history too as jk used to take lessons/pal around with Tal Farlow. Thank you, jk!

I still love my WesMo, but this guitar meets the need for that slightly darker, warmer tone better than I’d hoped. How do the rest of you L-5 CES owners feel about yours?

Roli

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a beauty!

User Info Menu

Congrats and may that L-5CESN inspire your playing for many years to come.

I love my WESMO, but I am awestruck every time I pull my L-5CESN out of her case.

You have acquired the best of the best. You are in no further need of the genie.

User Info Menu

Bingo perfect!

User Info Menu

Congratulations man! Enjoy that beauty! You deserve her every little bit, she is in good hands!

User Info Menu

nice, everyone remembers their first L-5
    back in the day my first good archtop was a 175 that I was thrilled to get.
    but finding a blonde L-5 in the classifieds of a local paper was a big step up.
    it was like going from a Chevy to a Rolls, just felt so much more substantial and solid in the hand and of course the sound is that much thicker/fuller.
    $900 was a chunk of change back then but worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What a beauty!
    Thanks, Jeff! I feel fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats and may that L-5CESN inspire your playing for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I love my WESMO, but I am awestruck every time I pull my L-5CESN out of her case.

You have acquired the best of the best. You are in no further need of the genie.

Much appreciated, Stringswinger. I plan to stick around a long time and this guitar helps encourage me to play. I can’t say I won’t still get the occasional bout of GAS, but as far as guitars, all I want to do now is play!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeko
    Bingo perfect!
    Thanks, Sleeko!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Congratulations man! Enjoy that beauty! You deserve her every little bit, she is in good hands!
    I hope to be worthy. Thanks, Little Jay!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nice, everyone remembers their first L-5
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    back in the day my first good archtop was a 175 that I was thrilled to get.
    but finding a blonde L-5 in the classifieds of a local paper was a big step up.
    it was like going from a Chevy to a Rolls, just felt so much more substantial and solid in the hand and of course the sound is that much thicker/fuller.
    $900 was a chunk of change back then but worth it.

It does feel like a big step up! Thanks, wintermoon.

Note to our forum brother, jazzkritter:
    Jk, thanks for being such a great person. May you enjoy all the good things in life for many years to come! I know it’s just a guitar, a material item that may be low on the list of important things in the universe, but I am truly grateful for your thoughtfulness in allowing me to be the next caretaker of this lovely L-5.

User Info Menu

Doesn't get much better! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Alpine I could not be happier for you my friend. What a beautiful L-5 !
    Both you and jk are gentlemen of the highest caliber.
    Knowing what you’ve been through this has to be a gift from above.
    God bless you and jk. I know parting with a guitar like that was very hard.

May it bring you many healthy joyful years of tone filled service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Doesn't get much better! Enjoy!
    Indeed! Thank you skiboyny.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Alpine I could not be happier for you my friend. What a beautiful L-5 !
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Both you and jk are gentlemen of the highest caliber.
    Knowing what you’ve been through this has to be a gift from above.
    God bless you and jk. I know parting with a guitar like that was very hard.

May it bring you many healthy joyful years of tone filled service.
    Thank you, Vinny. It takes one to know one! (referring to being a gentleman and having been through a lot). I appreciate the kindness you have shown me and others here over many years. For newer members here, my avatar is the beautiful L-4CES Vinny permitted me to acquire from his private collection! I'm grateful to be its caretaker and now, getting to know this gorgeous L-5CES that jk lovingly cared for for over 3 decades, I feel fortunate indeed. Have a great day, my friend, and go play that new Byrdland. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Beautiful lifetime instrument! Congrats. As to the poll, I missed it, but if I hadn't, I would have to answer in all honesty - all of the above. It would be torture to make any of us choose just one.

Tony

User Info Menu

Roli,

I too just noticed the poll. I’d vote for #4, since I have a 1951 ½ L-5C, sunburst. A Pete Biltoft single CC floating pickup was installed on it in Dec. So it does not qualify as a CES variant.

The wood grain on all of the surfaces of that L-5 is terrific!

The tailpiece….I started my arch top journey with a ES-175D in 1965. But then in 1966 I traded up to a L-5CESTSV. As things progressed, in 1967 I ordered a new L-5C with a single JS pickup. (All were sunburst versions.) That 1967 L-5 was eventually sold in 1982. However, both of those previous L-5’s and the 1952 that I have today, all had/have similar tailpieces. The tailpiece on your new guitar has an insert that I’ve not seen before, with the dark centerpiece and slanted L-5 lettering. I’m guessing Gibson switched to this design in some specific year. If correct, do you know that model year change?

Until I stumbled onto this site and TGP site, I had seen few natural L-5’s. However, recently, with all of photos of various L-5’s, I’m really warming up to that finish.

You will really enjoy this one!

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

User Info Menu

Having acquired a 1989 Gibson L5 CESN from Gryphon a few months back I can only note that Gibson had access to some really great wood that year. Wonderful guitars and yours has a great backstory.

New to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-dsc_0862-jpg

User Info Menu

It’s gorgeous! It’s nice to see it stay in the JGO family! I enjoyed my ‘06 Hutchins L5CES for many years until selling it a couple of years ago. They are indeed beautiful, special guitars.

User Info Menu

Alpine you know that was a special guitar to me and I am very glad its in your hands. And thank you and Vinny for the compliments. And Alpine is a good man, dont hesitate to a deal with him.
    Its story is interesting: John Orlick the owner of HyWay Music in East Brunswick NJ and I ordered our L5s at the same time. Henry had just bought Gibson; our orders went in mid ‘87. The rep at the time (Dave ….?) warned us that the move to Nashville hadnt been kind to the L5 carving jig and it was being rebuilt. So we were pretty happy in November ‘89 when they finally showed up: his sunburst BTW. Yes signed by Hutch, but from phone conversations with him, I know Jim Triggs was in on the build. (He was at Gibson then). We then ordered each an L5C, but Henry tripled the $ and we bowed out.
    Tal loved ribbing me on that guitar… ‘not a working man’s guitar.’ But he did not mind playing it lol. I know Ive posted before, but here she was in 12/89 with that jazz player with big hands
    That paper white spruce top sure ended up purty!
    New to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-img_0548-jpg
    Its easy not to miss that beauty as it went to Alpine)))
    My dream is to get back playing out some day, but its up to medical science and Faith.
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Alpine you know that was a special guitar to me and I am very glad its in your hands. And thank you and Vinny for the compliments. And Alpine is a good man, dont hesitate to a deal with him.
    Its story is interesting: John Orlick the owner of HyWay Music in East Brunswick NJ and I ordered our L5s at the same time. Henry had just bought Gibson; our orders went in mid ‘87. The rep at the time (Dave ….?) warned us that the move to Nashville hadnt been kind to the L5 carving jig and it was being rebuilt. So we were pretty happy in November ‘89 when they finally showed up: his sunburst BTW. Yes signed by Hutch, but from phone conversations with him, I know Jim Triggs was in on the build. (He was at Gibson then). We then ordered each an L5C, but Henry tripled the $ and we bowed out.
    Tal loved ribbing me on that guitar… ‘not a working man’s guitar.’ But he did not mind playing it lol. I know Ive posted before, but here she was in 12/89 with that jazz player with big hands
    That paper white spruce top sure ended up purty!
    New to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-img_0548-jpg
    Its easy not to miss that beauty as it went to Alpine)))
    My dream is to get back playing out some day, but its up to medical science and Faith.
    jk
    Jk, it’s my great honor to be associated with you. Thanks for making this so easy! Fun to hear about the back story of this special guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    Roli,

I too just noticed the poll. I’d vote for #4, since I have a 1951 ½ L-5C, sunburst. A Pete Biltoft single CC floating pickup was installed on it in Dec. So it does not qualify as a CES variant.

The wood grain on all of the surfaces of that L-5 is terrific!

The tailpiece….I started my arch top journey with a ES-175D in 1965. But then in 1966 I traded up to a L-5CESTSV. As things progressed, in 1967 I ordered a new L-5C with a single JS pickup. (All were sunburst versions.) That 1967 L-5 was eventually sold in 1982. However, both of those previous L-5’s and the 1952 that I have today, all had/have similar tailpieces. The tailpiece on your new guitar has an insert that I’ve not seen before, with the dark centerpiece and slanted L-5 lettering. I’m guessing Gibson switched to this design in some specific year. If correct, do you know that model year change?

Until I stumbled onto this site and TGP site, I had seen few natural L-5’s. However, recently, with all of photos of various L-5’s, I’m really warming up to that finish.

You will really enjoy this one!

Thanks for sharing.

Tom
    TAA,

Thank you! The wood truly is beautiful. I’m no historian, but the early, post-Norlin era saw these ebony badges on the L-5 tailpieces instead of the silver badge and L-5 engraving on the lower part of the tailpiece. Over many years of looking at L-5s, I’ve seen these badges staring in about 1986 and running into 1992. Maybe another, more serious Gibson historian has a more definitive answer.

User Info Menu

jz - you got to rub elbows with my ultimate hero. You were totally blessed. I would give every L-5 I own to have been able to do that.
    His technique could only be taught by him only.
    Nobody can copy Tal Farlow….nobody ! The King of bop guitar with Jimmy Raney a close second.
    TF’s meekness surely didn’t match up with his playing. His playing was so off the charts exciting.

User Info Menu

Vinny its all in the quote:
    “You have to have fire in the belly to play jazz.” Tal Farlow: said to jk in a really bad lesson.)

User Info Menu

King of all Archtops! And probably the most versatile version to own as well. Congratulations on a beautiful guitar!

User Info Menu

Man I love electric L5s! And I love hearing about people getting one too.
    Congratulations, there’s no feeling like it.

User Info Menu

You got more than a guitar, you got a legacy. The L-5 looks amazing and having had it passed to you from jazzkritter is even more extraordinary. You know that instrument is brimming with history and love. Play it a lot and let it be the key that locks the best music you have in you. Believe me, I know an instrument like that needs to be played and it will just get better for as long as you live. Make music! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

My first feeling every single time I pick up my L5ces with the in-between cherry and traditional sunburst finish is "I don't deserve this!"

User Info Menu

The sticker shock of a L-5 is always hard to swallow but the second you have it in your hands it is worth every penny.

User Info Menu

Great story, and a great guitar. Lovely pics.

Play it in good health.