The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Beautiful lifetime instrument! Congrats. As to the poll, I missed it, but if I hadn't, I would have to answer in all honesty - all of the above. It would be torture to make any of us choose just one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans

Tony

True! I don't think it follows the old Templar's admonition, "But choose wisely, for as the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you..." I think it's a case where you couldn't possibly go wrong choosing any of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Having acquired a 1989 Gibson L5 CESN from Gryphon a few months back I can only note that Gibson had access to some really great wood that year. Wonderful guitars and yours has a great backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

That's gorgeous, Spook410. Glad to be blonde L-5 brothers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    It’s gorgeous! It’s nice to see it stay in the JGO family! I enjoyed my ‘06 Hutchins L5CES for many years until selling it a couple of years ago. They are indeed beautiful, special guitars.
    Thanks, Mark. There is something special about a fine guitar that has been well loved. This one just begs to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    jz - you got to rub elbows with my ultimate hero. You were totally blessed. I would give every L-5 I own to have been able to do that.
    His technique could only be taught by him only.
    Nobody can copy Tal Farlow….nobody ! The King of bop guitar with Jimmy Raney a close second.
    TF’s meekness surely didn’t match up with his playing. His playing was so off the charts exciting.

So true, he was just so endless in his ability. Just amazing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Vinny its all in the quote:
    “You have to have fire in the belly to play jazz.” Tal Farlow: said to jk in a really bad lesson.)

Well, he sure had the fire! I was listening to Meteor and I Love You from the Swinging Guitar album earlier today. Boppy, bluesy, swingin' and so full of energy like all his playing.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    King of all Archtops! And probably the most versatile version to own as well. Congratulations on a beautiful guitar!
    Thank you! I am finding that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Man I love electric L5s! And I love hearing about people getting one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Congratulations, there’s no feeling like it.

Much appreciated! It does put a smile on one's face!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    You got more than a guitar, you got a legacy. The L-5 looks amazing and having had it passed to you from jazzkritter is even more extraordinary. You know that instrument is brimming with history and love. Play it a lot and let it be the key that locks the best music you have in you. Believe me, I know an instrument like that needs to be played and it will just get better for as long as you live. Make music! Congratulations!
    Thanks, Jimmy. I do feel blessed and try to play it everyday. It plays like buttah and sounds fantastic. Hoping to be worthy of its storied legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    My first feeling every single time I pick up my L5ces with the in-between cherry and traditional sunburst finish is "I don't deserve this!"
    My exact same feeling, Lawson. When you know, you know!

The sticker shock of a L-5 is always hard to swallow but the second you have it in your hands it is worth every penny.
    I am sad I waited so long, but it ended up being so worth it. I am sad that jk has health challenges and I pray for him and others on this forum daily. His kindness in allowing me to acquire this guitar is a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Great story, and a great guitar. Lovely pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Play it in good health.

Thank you, Doctor Jeff! It is a great story, and now we are all part of it!

User Info Menu

Great backstory and really cool photos! Everytime I think about getting an archtop custom made by one of the newer builders I remember how much I would love to have an L5.

User Info Menu

Kinda loving the ebony insert on the L-5CES’s tailpiece. A good match with its little brother L-4CES.
    New to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-img_5394-jpgNew to me 1989 L-5 CES Natural - Feeling Very Blessed-img_5396-jpg

User Info Menu

I dig the ebony insert. I would love to find one for my 2002 L-5CESN.

May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

I like the ebony insert too.

User Info Menu

Sorry I missed this thread, but that's a gorgeous guitar and great stories here as well

User Info Menu

Funny seeing an old girlfriend in someone elses arms)))
    But I know shes in great hands Roli!
    Really happy you are enjoying!
    When I first got it i didnt like that wood tailpiece but it seriously grew on me… love it.
    (Did I tell you my then 4 yr old named her blondie? Used her to sing Raffi songs to her and her buds.)
    jk d

User Info Menu

I ordered a burst L5CES in the late '90s and received it about a year and a half later. Unfortunately, it had some pretty significant QC issues. I kept it about a year before selling it. I was really bummed about the guitar as I had dreamed of owning an L5CES since my teen years. But it was just one of those custom shop guitars that didn't measure up. It sounded and looked great. But the craftsmanship left a little to be desired (the tailpiece was mounted off center among some other things). However, I would love to own another one. I know an L5CES like this one is extremely rare. I still lust after a Wes L5CES. Perhaps a blond? Go enjoy the heck out of yours.

User Info Menu

Funny seeing an old girlfriend in someone elses arms)))
    But I know shes in great hands Roli!
    Really happy you are enjoying!
    When I first got it i didnt like that wood tailpiece but it seriously grew on me… love it.
    (Did I tell you my then 4 yr old named her blondie? Used her to sing Raffi songs to her and her buds.)
    jk d
    Thanks, jk! I will continue the tradition. Blondie it is!
    The neck is so perfectly played-in. The finish on the back of the neck is so perfect. Best feeling neck of any guitar I own.

User Info Menu

Yep as i think I said in an email, there was something very special about that neck, I never felt another L5 that came close to it.
    All my guitars are in cases now, put away, and waiting for me to come home from the hospital. House has to be deep cleaned before I return, figured they were safer locked up.
    I owe you an email, I’m not forgetting. But they got me with anti seizure meds today and I’m zoning out to some pleasant place ?

User Info Menu

jk - I will add you to my prayer list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    How do the rest of you L-5 CES owners feel about yours?
    Roli
    I own two L5CES, a teaburst from 1970 and a blonde, Hutch built from 2003. The teaburst was my main instrument in the nineties, the blonde from about 2007 to 2015. These days i play more LeGrand or Johnny Smith, sometimes the 2003 L5CES, very rarely the 1970. If i were forced to downsize to just one guitar i would keep the 2003L5CES even though the slightly thinner & lighter LeGrands or the JS are physically more comfortable to handle.

Congratulations to your wonderful L5!
    Last edited by JazzNote; 05-26-2023 at 07:38 PM.