The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi all

Just a quick question regarding Action!
    Having played many guitars I have always found that unless you have a pretty high action there is always a small amount of string buzz! Me personally will tolerate this especially if its only noticeable at very low volumes! I was just wondering if anyone else accepts a small trade off for a lower action?

Regards

Eddie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you have a good set up you can get the action pretty low without any string buzz.

I won't tolerate any string buzz.

User Info Menu

Dave hunter wrote an article on the gibson site suggesting setting the actrion as HIGH as possible and then lowering it until you can play comfortably. Makes perfect sense to me. When I play other guitars I am not spoiled (and look like a star) and on my own guitar no buzz and more sustain.

So to answer your question.. none (or very very very little).

User Info Menu

Thanks! good answer!

Its funny though because most of the education videos I own all contain some string buzz! Emily Remler, Joe Pass Larry Coryell and even George Benson's "Art of Jazz Guitar" Though he apologizes for it lol!
    I must also add that I am an ex professional studio sound engineer so I can be a bit anal! LMAO.
    That said though all of the above are playing at a very constrained volume in these Vids!

Regards

Eddie
    Last edited by merseybeat; 05-01-2010 at 01:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    If you have a good set up you can get the action pretty low without any string buzz.

I won't tolerate any string buzz.
    Me either. I like a guitar set up as low as possible with no buzz. If it can't be got that way as it is, I'll get it fixed so it can with a fret grind, a neck reset etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Dave hunter wrote an article on the gibson site suggesting setting the actrion as HIGH as possible and then lowering it until you can play comfortably. Makes perfect sense to me. When I play other guitars I am not spoiled (and look like a star) and on my own guitar no buzz and more sustain.

So to answer your question.. none (or very very very little).
    Yeah I would accept very very lttle!

Sam? Any link on that Dave Hunter article?

Cheers mate

Eddie

User Info Menu

I always think the same. But then Dan Erlewine says having a small amount of buzz is 'normal' and can be tolerated to get slightly lower action.

Mind you, since he's the guy responsible for getting the buzz out of guitars, I guess he would say that!

User Info Menu

I have the GB video and it all sounds like crap.
    Great playing but geeeeeeze.. (great vid too.. beyond me but he is very charismatic).

Here is the hunter article.
    Gibson Tone Tips #33: String Height ? Raise It For Tone!

User Info Menu

Excellent, thanks so much!

Eddie

User Info Menu

NP.
    And for the OP this is assuming the nut is cut correctly and your truss rod is set to your own personal preferences. I still prefer a little bit of relief but that may be a hold-over from my skinny string days.

User Info Menu

I think low action is something I never grew out of from my heavy metal days in high school. I probably tolerate more string buzz than a lot of people on here, at least on my PRS (rock 'n' roll gtr). I do keep it to a minimum on my jazzbox and on my semi-hollow; those guitars just have great necks. For classical, I won't tolerate it. My teacher in college was really strict about tone, so now I'm extremely picky about nylon-string guitar tone. I keep the action on my classical high enough to walk under.

User Info Menu

Basically its a custom factory built Gibson 137, great guitar but man the frets where higher than the Golden Gate Bridge! Its been a while since I set my own guitar up from scratch but I just returned everything to neutral. Stoned the frets down a touch, re-polished them, new Thomastik GB 12 flats and adjusted the truss to give a perfectly straight neck!
    Now it plays like a dream! There was a slight buzz on 2nd string 5th fret (very slight) so I had the option to give a little neck relief but I opted for a slight bridge raise and all is well.

Why are Gibson leaving their frets so high???

Eddie

User Info Menu

When it starts to sound like bees are living inside my guitar, its time for a set-up.

User Info Menu

I bought two used guitars from shops that had string buzzing issues and they sat on the wall for months. Both were strung with skinny would strings and I cured both buzzing problems instantly by installing heavier flats and raising one or two bridge saddles slightly on the tunamatic bridges.

Being a former Rock/Metal/Fusion guitarist, I was initially amazed at how much lower you can get the action when you go with heavier flatwounds. The action on my archtops is absurdly low, and no buzz at all unless I really punch the low strings.

User Info Menu

no string buzz. I don't compromise that sort of thing for low action. I play with a very medium if not high action (so I've been told). I've recently gotten my action on my 225 to be really low and it's uncomfortable and I'm adjusting. But I go back to my 335 and it's home.

User Info Menu

Lately I have tended to adjust the action down to where there is just the mearest tiny suggestion of fret buzz starting to happen when picking reasonably loudly unamplified. Once you plug in it isn't noticable.

TommyD Guest
    Mine are probably too high (ES165), but I can't turn those knurled bridge-height adjusters by hand unless I loosen the strings considerably, and I'm damned if I'll put a pliers to them. So there they'll stay, I guess.

Tommy/

User Info Menu

Hi tommy.. Loosen your strings.. it is worth it..
    Again.. crank your bridge as high as you can and then start working down

User Info Menu

reasonable me says "as long as it doesn't come thru the amp." but i'm not that reasonable, i say "none."

User Info Menu

13 flatwounds, frets levelled,truss rod set to .008" relief at 8th fret, nut taken down where there's .006" between 1st fret and string when string is fretted at 3rd fret, check saddle(wooden, tunamatic, bone) is same radius as fretboard, then action set at 2mm for bottom E and 1 - 1.5mm for top E. No buzz. Top E can bottom out 12th - 14th fret so raise that side until it stops or you can live with it.