The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

After buying a box of D'addario 13-56 I got cheap on CL, I bought a box of Sadowsky's in the same gauge when they were discontinuing them.
    I liked them both but only have a few sets left and was thinking of trying something else.
    Recommendations?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only pure nickel strings I've tried are DR Pure Blues and D'Addario Pure Nickel. I remember liking them but it was hard to balance the pickup output across strings.

I've been really happy with Nickel Plated strings. Different ones on different guitars. The D'Addario Nickel plated strings are pretty bright. The john pearse and newtone ones are mellower.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    After buying a box of D'addario 13-56 I got cheap on CL, I bought a box of Sadowsky's in the same gauge when they were discontinuing them.
    I liked them both but only have a few sets left and was thinking of trying something else.
    Recommendations?
    Pyramid nickel classics hand polished are a favorite of mine.

I used nickel plated Daddarios ever since the D'Aquisto plant closed ( about $2.11 a set when you bought a box, those were the days) But yeah, the plated Daddarios are bright, I liked the mellowness of pure nickel. There's no way I'm spending $25-30 a set for strings like Thomastics. I know a guy that uses Pyramids, I was considering them and John Pearse.

User Info Menu

I love the John Pearse nickel jazz strings (they’re nickel plated). They’re some of the most economical but I’d prefer them over most alternatives even if they cost as much.

User Info Menu

I have been liking SITs for the past couple of years. Well balanced electrically and long lasting.

Just a moment...

User Info Menu

I like the Gibson flats pure nickels. 25 bucks though.

User Info Menu

I like GHS pure Nickel Rockers. I use 11s, but heavier ones available. IMO, they last a long time, have a warm rich sound, and reasonably priced. I prefer them to other brands I have tried.

User Info Menu

Pyramids

User Info Menu

I know they're expensive, but Thomastiks for me. I've tried many other brands and I always return to Thomastiks. And they last a long time.

User Info Menu

Is there a massive difference between pure and 80/20? I have used 80/20 and monels on acoustic archtop, but haven't used pure nickel in a long, long time.

User Info Menu

The problem (for me anyway) has been finding a set that sounds good acoustically and also are well balanced with a floating pickup. These two things are at odds.

So bronze type strings won't work for me.

I have been using pure nickel (Stringjoy and D'Addario), and they have a nice warm sound, but I think pure nickel is weaker magnetically than alloys are. It is difficult to find the right balance, but in general the second string, being the largest pure steel, really sticks out. I tried NYXL's, and now the second and sixth really stick out!

So I guess the answer is, I haven't found the right strings for a floating pickup yet! Pure nickels sound great to me on solid bodies and jazz guitars with set pickups however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    The problem (for me anyway) has been finding a set that sounds good acoustically and also are well balanced with a floating pickup. These two things are at odds.

So bronze type strings won't work for me.

I have been using pure nickel (Stringjoy and D'Addario), and they have a nice warm sound, but I think pure nickel is weaker magnetically than alloys are. It is difficult to find the right balance, but in general the second string, being the largest pure steel, really sticks out. I tried NYXL's, and now the second and sixth really stick out!

So I guess the answer is, I haven't found the right strings for a floating pickup yet! Pure nickels sound great to me on solid bodies and jazz guitars with set pickups however.
    Pedant alert: In the context of guitar strings "pure nickel" just means that the wrap is not plated, not that it is made purely of nickel. All the so-called "pure nickel" wraps are alloys, all of which are pretty much the same thing as one of Monel alloys. "Monel" is a trade name for a range of alloys produced by a specific manufacturer; it is not a specific material. They range from 52% to 67% nickel. Most of the rest is copper, with small amounts of iron, carbon, and other stuff, depending on the specific alloy. It's possible that brand A's "pure nickel" is more magnetic than brand B's or brand C's "Monel", but that's not because one is an alloy and the others aren't. It's because one has more nickel and less copper than the others (and possibly more of other magnetic metals). End Pedant Alert.

User Info Menu

Thomastiks are worth the cost to me. They last several months easily. Plus I really like the heavier gauges (BB114), which are hard to get from any other manufacturers as a set.

Pyramids were my go-to before them, but I've had some intonation issues in the past.

Going to try these next (not a nickel though):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Pedant alert: In the context of guitar strings "pure nickel" just means that the wrap is not plated, not that it is made purely of nickel. All the so-called "pure nickel" wraps are alloys, all of which are pretty much the same thing as one of Monel alloys. "Monel" is a trade name for a range of alloys produced by a specific manufacturer; it is not a specific material. They range from 52% to 67% nickel. Most of the rest is copper, with small amounts of iron, carbon, and other stuff, depending on the specific alloy. It's possible that brand A's "pure nickel" is more magnetic than brand B's or brand C's "Monel", but that's not because one is an alloy and the others aren't. It's because one has more nickel and less copper than the others (and possibly more of other magnetic metals). End Pedant Alert.
    Interesting information. I use John Pearse "pure nickel" strings on my 7 string acoustic (Emerald X20-7) and tune it down a whole step. Those strings seem easier on my fingers than typical bronze or 80/20 phosphor. Tuning down a whole step, for whatever reason, the John Pearse strings don't get muddy and due probably to the fan fret design (27" scale at 7th string down to 25.5" at the first string), they don't get floppy either. These strings, even when tuned to standard pitch, just feel somewhat looser than the other types of similar gauge. My strings are a standard 6 string set (.053 - .012) and a .068 7th string purchased separately.

Tony

User Info Menu

I like the SIT American Roots monel strings. They're advertised as using nickel and copper, no mention of any other metals, but I cannot attest to that. They're reasonably priced and sound good. I had been using Martin Retro strings, very similar, but for a long time they were unavailable in .012 sets, so I tried the SIT strings. They're at least as good as the Martins to my ear. I do find that all the 'pure nickel', or monel, strings I've tried can sound a little muddy in the bass at times, and the cheaper and more common nickel-plated steel wraps can sound better. It's certainly a matter of personal taste, not at all objective, of course. The American Roots strings seem aimed at players who like a 'vintage' sound, whatever that means.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Pyramid nickel classics hand polished are a favorite of mine.
    These are nice strings. I've used them.

User Info Menu

I'm liking these days SIT Power Groove pure nickels. 11-50 set