The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

My taste has been gradually changing away from the basic Fender scooped sound and moving towards something flatter with more mid range focus. For the second time I have given up on the Quilter Superblock US for being too thin and bright. I'm now looking for a replacement and being in Canada I am unable to find some of the options (no BAM200's in the entire country) so I've been going lower and looking at more alternatives. One thing I've been looking at is the ISP Stealth Ultra-Lite. Unlike the original ISP Stealth which was a dedicated power amp, it now has a preamp with basic bass and treble tone controls and I believe it can take a guitar level signal without any additional outboard processing.

The problem is that there is very little info on line and what is out there is strictly head banger stuff. It is however, referred to as a pedal platform which suggests that it is both fairly flat and has substantial amounts of clean headroom. Like the BAM200, it's hard to get here and it's fairly expensive so not really something I want to just roll the dice on. So I'm looking for info, Has anyone seen/tried one of these for real? Any thoughts?

(And even though the link says that access is denied it actually works perfectly)

Access to this page has been denied.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had an earlier iteration of the ISP Stealth 180 watt power amp and found it to be too noisy for my liking. Sold it within a month. FYI… I have always liked the Quilter amps, although I prefer my black panel Princeton tube amp. This is, of course, all so very subjective. For me the ISP was similar to the Acoustic Image (which I found to sound flat and sterile), only noisier. Perhaps they have made improvements. My two cents….

User Info Menu

Just to be clear, mine didn’t have a preamp section built in like this new model. I used a Sarno V8 Octal Preamp in front of it. The ISP I had cost about $200. Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

I've heard better things about the Duncan Power Stage series than the ISP, but never tried neither. At a completely different price point, there's also the Henriksen head - I had one of the early generations one and it was as flat as it could be.

Another option could be just to use an eq before the Quilter. Something like a Zoom MS50g it's worth the money just for the graphic eq and the tuner - I bet you can dial the Quilter to sound to your taste.

My current setup is a Barber Barb Eq in blackface mode (should sound similar to the Quilter) and a little boost in the 400hz area (3db) helps a lot (as it does with real Fender amps).

Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Regarding the BAM200, what about the competitors Warwick Gnome or the Elf from Trace Elliot?
    Also not available?

User Info Menu

Or a secondhand G+K MB200 head?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Regarding the BAM200, what about the competitors Warwick Gnome or the Elf from Trace Elliot?
    Also not available?
    The Elf is available but I have been cautioned about the sound of the fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It is however, referred to as a pedal platform which suggests that it is both fairly flat and has substantial amounts of clean headroom.
    I suspect it’s a bit short on clean headroom. First, the power rating is typically inflated - it actually makes 45W RMS (at unspecified distortion) into 8 Ohms. The spec would be correctly stated as 180 watts peak into 4 Ohms, if they weren’t throwing marketing hype around.

It’s an analog class A/B SS amplifier, pure and simple - and it’s powered by a 19 volt wall wart, so there’s little reserve in the power supply to keep big chords clean. The reviews are almost certainly all from rockers, since they all describe complex pedalboards through big, multi driver cabs and talk about being loud enough to keep up with guitarists and bass players with huge tube amps. Those 4x12 cabinets are much more efficient than the typical small 8 Ohm cabs most of us use, and I’d bet that there’s serious O/D and distortion in use by everyone who’s posted a personal review on line. I can’t find a pro review of any kind that does more than parrot the manufacturer’s words.

The Duncans are also limited in clean headroom. I have a Microblock (rated as a 45 watt amp by Quilter) as backup, and I’ve used it on a few gigs. It’s fine for low volume use through an efficient speaker, but headroom it ain’t got. It did make a joyful, bluesy noise through my Boogie Thiele with EVM in it - but clean it was not. These little amps are not made for jazz players, although at low volumes most I’ve heard sound decent (and pretty much the same, only differing in how their tone controls work and interact).

These tiny and inexpensive amps are all compromises trying to sound like the big iron. They’re good enough for much of what most of us play most of the time. The compromises get smaller as cost and complexity rise - the Blu 6 is $1k, and you get what you pay for. Clean headroom comes at high cost compared to decibels of dubious quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    The Elf is available but I have been cautioned about the sound of the fan.
    To be clear, I loved my Elf and never even heard the fan except when leaning over it to turn it on at home before picking up my guitar. But it’s audible (barely) in very quiet rooms and might be picked up by a microphone close to it if recording that way in close quarters.

I only sold it because I had too many amps - Little Jazz, Blu, SB, Microblock, DVM EG250, etc etc. I think it’s a great amp for gigging - big, full tone and very clean headroom. But it’s probably not the best choice for intimately recording soft solo guitar by mic’ing a small speaker with it close by. And it’s not cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Or a secondhand G+K MB200 head?
    Jim had one for a while and compared it with:

CARVIN BX250

I sold my MB200 but kept the Carvin (warmer sound more tweakable parameters)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Jim had one for a while and compared it with:

CARVIN BX250

I sold my MB200 but kept the Carvin (warmer sound more tweakable parameters)
    You know when that was happening I liked the brighter tone of the MB200 but these days I'm not so sure. The one I really wish I had kept was my DV Mark Micro-Jazz head.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

NY guitarist Greg Ruggiero is known as the "small amp guy" - he's gone through them all. Taurus is his current fave, and he tells me there's a new model in the pipeline (with input from his wishlist.)

User Info Menu

NY guitarist Greg Ruggiero is known as the "small amp guy" - he's gone through them all. Taurus is his current fave, and he tells me there's a new model in the pipeline (with input from his wishlist.)
    Nice.
    I am also interesting in these amps.
    I contacted the manufacturer and I think I will buy something.

User Info Menu

Do you know which one he is using? A lot of them seem to have drive channel and lead channels which seems a bit overkill for his small amp needs.

User Info Menu

I had a Duncan Powerstage 700. It was excellent sounding. I never worried about clean headroom.

I found an excellent price with a used one. It had a strange problem. I called and talked to the Duncan repair person. He was very nice and we chatted a long time.

I decided to return the used one but I would have no problem buying a new one. It really sounded good. It is on my to purchase list.

I person believe (and I could be wrong) cheap class a/b ss poweramps are not going to sound as good as the class d stuff. It could be many other factors but that is my experience (and the experience is also dated).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Do you know which one he is using? A lot of them seem to have drive channel and lead channels which seems a bit overkill for his small amp needs.
    It's Taurus 1.VT, a smallish floor amp. BTW, Greg has tried ISP and says it's "terrible". But he has a very particular tone taste.

User Info Menu

It's Taurus 1.VT, a smallish floor amp. BTW, Greg has tried ISP and says it's "terrible". But he has a very particular tone taste.
    I had an ISP a long time ago and I wouldn't say it was terrible. ISP a company that formed after the founder sold off his former company - Rocktron. They probably don't have jazz in mind when designing their products, but they work great for 80s Hard Rock / Metal tones. The Stealth and the ISP Theta preamp do a killer Van Halen tone through a 212 or 412.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Jim:
    What about getting another Hotone Loudster power amp?
    That gives you the option of trying all sorts of many little preamps on the market.
    For instance, I use the Hotone you sold me with:
    -Koch OD '63 tube preamp
    -Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric EQ Preamp
    -Nocturne El Pescadero (cool pedal that combines nutty reverb with the Jr. Barnyard preamp)
    Definitely considering it but the reason I sold it was because I didn't like the preamps I was trying. It may be time to rethink that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I person believe (and I could be wrong) cheap class a/b ss poweramps are not going to sound as good as the class d stuff. It could be many other factors but that is my experience (and the experience is also dated).
    That’s also my experience, at least for clean jazz guitar tones of any flavor - thunky, airy, woody etc. They do distortion well for rock, metal, etc. But they don’t do the smooth, even order harmonic distortion that good low power tube amps deliver in spades when their output tubes are pushed to clipping.

User Info Menu

Have you looked at the MILKMAN line of floor-amps ?
    Milkman The Amp 50-Watt Hybrid Guitar Amp Head Pedal | Reverb

Demeter Amps also have an interesting unit :
    TGA-1-180D The Mighty Minnie | Demeter Amplification

User Info Menu

That Demeter mini amp sounds great

Have a listen to 'telecaster clean chords' On that page
    Blue in Green

It's money tho ....I

The Sonny Landreth video is great too
    Beautiful distorted playing a ton of different sounds in there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    That Demeter mini amp sounds great...It's money tho
    You got that right - it's $1300 USD. I'm sure it sounds great - I've never heard a Demeter I didn't like. But when you top $1k USD, you have some very fine alternatives that rival the Demeter plus a cab. But the Minnie is certainly a great choice for jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

I am going to buy Taurus Stomp-Head 8.Clone classic.This seems to be the amp I've been looking for years.
    Weight: 1,35kg

Taurus Stomp Head SH8, Stomp-Head SH8, Floor guitar amplifier SH8, Taurus SH8Qube

User Info Menu

This is probably what Greg Ruggiero is getting as well. And Yours Truly & Son, quite likely.