The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

G'day all,
    I'm playing an Epiphone Emperor Regent through a 12 watt Fi-Sonic vintage tube amp and the Guitar is fitted with Roto-Sound stainless,flat wound strings ,12-53 gauge.
    The tone is a bit too bright for my liking (the strings ?) .. The tone control on the Guitar is on full bass,amp volume is on 3,treble on 3,mid on 3 and bass is on 7.. and the tone still pretty bright... The Roto-Sound strings have been on the Guitar for a year or so,still feel good and hold their tuning.
    I'm only playing at home,so I'd like to try some long lasting flat wounds that'd maybe give me the warm tone I'm after..any ideas friends ?
    Regards from OZ ... Charlie .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    G'day all,
    I'm playing an Epiphone Emperor Regent through a 12 watt Fi-Sonic vintage tube amp and the Guitar is fitted with Roto-Sound stainless,flat wound strings ,12-53 gauge.
    The tone is a bit too bright for my liking (the strings ?) .. The tone control on the Guitar is on full bass,amp volume is on 3,treble on 3,mid on 3 and bass is on 7.. and the tone still pretty bright... The Roto-Sound strings have been on the Guitar for a year or so,still feel good and hold their tuning.
    I'm only playing at home,so I'd like to try some long lasting flat wounds that'd maybe give me the warm tone I'm after..any ideas friends ?
    Regards from OZ ... Charlie .
    Did you try turning the treble down to zero? It the strings have been on the guitar that long, they should haves dulled down considerably. I’d do that before looking at strings.

That aside, TI Jazz Swings are a little darker sounding than stainless steel flats. LaBella tape wounds are the dullest sounding strings I’ve tried.

User Info Menu

LaBella jazz flats are a good string. They have purple end wraps which, when used in conjunction with a guitar that has gold hardware, is an unbeatable tone when compared to red or blue end wraps and nickel or chrome or even worse, black hardware which are inferior in both tone and appearance. I would worry more about having gold hardware first before changing string brands as that will be a core component of a quality tone.

User Info Menu

G'day Dawg,
    Your comments about gold hardware have got me scratching my head.I'm not sure whether you're having a lend of me (Australian slang for 'taking the mickey' or 'pulling ones' leg') ..or not.
    Gold hardware .. I don't particularly like it,but that's what on the Guitar....and different colour windings ,are you serious about these things affecting tone ?
    Maybe I'm a bit thick ,I just don't get it,but I'm very happy to be enlightened if these factors contribute to the tone of a Guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    G'day Dawg,
    Your comments about gold hardware have got me scratching my head.I'm not sure whether you're having a lend of me (Australian slang for 'taking the mickey' or 'pulling ones' leg') ..or not.
    Gold hardware .. I don't particularly like it,but that's what on the Guitar....and different colour windings ,are you serious about these things affecting tone ?
    Maybe I'm a bit thick ,I just don't get it,but I'm very happy to be enlightened if these factors contribute to the tone of a Guitar.
    I like purple and gold. It sounds better though I cannot tell the difference in a blind test. So I'm making bullshit stories up much like every other guitar tone claim will be mostly made up per the user's personal preferences. Am I pulling your leg? No. In dawgbones world of fantasy you have inferior tone without gold hardware and purple string end wraps. Others will say I am wrong. Do not listen to them, they are using nickel plated hardware and Fender Bullets in their archtops and likely have some compromised low quality cabling plugged in upstairs to go along with it if you catch my drift.

But for real, LaBellas are a quality string. They do last longer if your hardware is gold. Ok that gold part was more BS but I like purple and gold so I need to invent reasons for it if I can't actually find one. Justifying costly guitar tone pursuits often requires making ludicrous claims to oneself so thank you for allowing me some practice time.

User Info Menu

Purple and gold - I'm in!

Attached Images Attached Images String recommedations-11838652_10153376965106598_7464350080063103410_o-jpg String recommedations-11816260_10153376966651598_3909119863859944474_o-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    LaBella tape wounds are the dullest sounding strings I’ve tried.
    +1

But they might not fit if you’ve got a frequensator tailpiece? I think I’ve read that somewhere around here.

I had a Korean Epiphone Emperor Regent and I was pretty happy with D’Addario chromes. My preferred strings these days are Pat Martino GHS lights. I like how balanced they are and they’re fairly neutral, for lack of a better term. Plus they’re “inexpensive” in the U.S.

Good luck with your search.

User Info Menu

Those two paragraphs are fairly cryptic Dawg ,but I 'sorta kinda' get where you're coming from.I reckon there must be a sense of humor lurking somewhere in the marrow of Dawgbone .. and we all need that.
    In regard to posting questions on the internet.Often you'll get an assortment of replies and opinions.The poster then has a choice of which ones he likes,and might answer his question... like mine ,asking for an opinion on tone and string choice.
    Mentioning two of your points .. "Inferior tone" ...well not really,just not quite what I'd like...Also ,"justifying costly Guitar tone pursuits" ,a different set of strings wouldn't be that costly,especially if they get me closer to the warmth of tone that I'd like.
    All the best to you mate,thanks for your posts,cryptic as they may have been .. all points were considered.

User Info Menu

Thanks Osloutah,
    Yes my Epi is a Korean made (by Peerless) and it does have the tailpiece you mention... It's a very well made Guitar and Ilike it a lot..
    I've just bought a set of Pyramid Gold Medium Special chrome nickel flatwounds .011-.050 to try, and we'll see how they go ... so many choices mate.
    Thanks again ..Charlie ..

User Info Menu

Thanks John,sorry for the late reply,
    Yes,I've tried with the treble and mid down to zero but still fairly bright.
    What I've done (the obvious) is to change my playing style a bit and bring the picking up closer to the fret board where the single pick-up sits,it's a mucher nicer tone up there.It's a bit of challenge though ,as i usually 'anchor' my hand on the bridge.
    I've bought a set of Pyramid Gold flat wounds.. to fit a bit later on
    Work to be done mate ... I appreciate for your input.