The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 86

User Info Menu

The reverb in my mini brute has never been very good. I really like to have a lot of reverb but I'm spoiled by Fender reverbs. Is there anything digital that warm, smooth, and lush? Or any suggestions on a reverb unit at all? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The electro harmonix Holy Grail used to be the gold standard reverb pedal. I have no idea what the modern pedal world has to offer.

User Info Menu

Nah... it really depends on what type of reverb you want.

I usually use whatever is onboard my amp. I like Fender style reverb so the Syrmon Flint and Surfy Bear pedals really intrigue me. The Golden Audio Reverberator sounds very lush from the samples.

On the more affordable end: Nothin' wrong with the Holy Grail and lots of people like the TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb, too.

User Info Menu

Ask ten guitarists about reverb units and you'll get thirteen opinions.

I use the Hall of Fame with my 5E3 clone. Sounds fine. I like just a hint of reverb.

User Info Menu

+1 for Hall of Fame. Alas, mine died.

User Info Menu

I use a Strymon Flint, like it a lot!

User Info Menu

+1 on Flint and Surfy Bear

User Info Menu

These days there's no "best", most reverb pedals are good and better than your Mini Brute's one for sure. For moderate uses I don't think going beyond a Hall of Fame or a Holy Grail is necessary.

I really liked the Digitech ones - the RV7 and the Polara. Digitech is not making pedals anymore, but when they did this they were owned by the same company that owned Lexicon; they sound excellent and can be found quite cheap on the used market (they were cheap new too, too bad Digitech is no longer in business).

User Info Menu

Boss Rv 5 ( the plate setting) on used market.
    Have tried nearly all, and get back to it all the time .
    Knops: Length and volume + (This goes only for the RV5 not the other RV versions):
    Possibility to range a very high freq for a more fenderish sound on the tone knop. In my ear it gives a lush super reverb sound.

User Info Menu

I've used the Strymon Flint since it came out and have never looked at anything else.

Three friends, all pro players in NYC, are now using the Universal Audio Golden Reverberator.
    Golden Reverberator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I've used the Strymon Flint since it came out and have never looked at anything else.

Three friends, all pro players in NYC, are now using the Universal Audio Golden Reverberator.
    Golden Reverberator
    Heard great things about the UAD, would love to try one!

User Info Menu

The Chicago Chess Records style room and subterranean reverb of the Nocturne El Pescadoro is perfect for jazz application.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    These days there's no "best", most reverb pedals are good and better than your Mini Brute's one for sure. For moderate uses I don't think going beyond a Hall of Fame or a Holy Grail is necessary.

I really liked the Digitech ones - the RV7 and the Polara. Digitech is not making pedals anymore, but when they did this they were owned by the same company that owned Lexicon; they sound excellent and can be found quite cheap on the used market (they were cheap new too, too bad Digitech is no longer in business).
    +1 on the RV7. Sounds good, no noise. The only downside is that it’s a bit bigger than the standard Boss-sized pedal (heavier, too).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kathmandu Cat
    The Chicago Chess Records style room and subterranean reverb of the Nocturne El Pescadoro is perfect for jazz application.
    A great pedal! The preamp and reverb in it makes a great combination for jazz. Have turned on a few friends on to it. I'm fortunate to have a couple of vintage Gibson amps but when I can't use them, it's this pedal I turn to.
    Last edited by David B; 03-29-2023 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

For mass produced guitar gear nothing beats a Fender standalone reverb unit. It adds a warmth and richness to the tone. The reissue is a good unit IMO though hard core surf guys might not agree. I think the unit is bigger than a lot of jazz guy's amps, so it's kind of a pain. If I had kept mine it would just be for studio usage. Too much stuff for gigs.

Otherwise I have found the Meris Mercury 7 to be one of the very top units out there next to the Strymon Big Sky, especially for clean guitar sounds. It doesn't really do dripping spring surf tones if you need that. Rich, lush, with cool swell modes and shimmer settings you can horse around with when you aren't being serious. You can go from mild reverb to gigging in the Hagia Sophia on the cathedra setting. There are many unexplored sounds inside of it. It's kind of an instrument unto itself. A lot of adjustment and control over the basic parameters is available which lets you really fine tune your core settings but it does take some time to grasp as some of the knobs control more than one parameter via the alt setting. I can't really say enough about it. For some guys it's overkill but I have to have at least one "fun" pedal so this covers serious and fun bases for me.

I only own a couple pedals and sold off most of the rest but this is one of two that I kept because I like it so much and I am aggressive about not hanging onto a lot of guitar stuff so it survived the cull. Couldn't bring myself to let it go.

User Info Menu

I use a Lexicon LXP-1. Great sounds.

User Info Menu

I use the Tone Candy "Spring Fever". It only does two things, Spring Reverb and a Gain boost. But it does both very well and it has met my needs better than the HOF, Holy Grail, RV-5, Surfy Bear and a few others that I have tried.

I have heard great things about the Strymon pedals, but I am happy with the Spring Fever pedal and so I have no need to spend the money to check one out.

User Info Menu

I think it depends on what kind of Reverb you like. There's Spring Reverb, if you like the sound of reverb tanks Fender used since the 60s. It's a very popular reverb. The UAD Golden Reverberator is very popular for this right now. I have one, but I actually only use its Chamber reverb, as I've come to find Spring reverb too splashy and too much of a special effect for what I'm after. Chamber reverbs aim to emulate the sound of physical spaces, similar to what studios were doing in the 40s and 50s (e.g. Chess, RCA, Capitol). The way a chamber worked is that the studio engineer would send a track out from the mixing board to a speaker in an empty space, such as a basement or a stairwell. Another mic or set of mics would pick up the reverberated/echoed signal in that space and sent it back to the board to be mixed.

Is there any consensus on the best reverb unit?-screenshot-2023-03-29-7-34-41-am-png

Overall I think the UAD Golden Reverberator is great (had one since it first came out), but it's a pain to tweak. It stays at home with other noodly gear. If I want a practical reverb that would come out to gigs, I prefer simplicity over flexibility. For example, I don't need 100 types of reverb on a pedal if I have one sound I like. My favorite dead simple reverb pedal is the Neunaber Wet V5. Instead of sounding like a special effect, it is capable of very subtle settings that just make your amp sound bigger and more 3D.

I think the reverb side of the Nocturne Brain El Pescadero is every bit as good as the algorithms in the UAD and Neunaber pedals. It's very natural sounding and doesn't have any unpleasant digital artifacts. If tavo ever released that as its own small pedal, I'd probably get it. I'm less into the overdrive section of the pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I think it depends on what kind of Reverb you like. There's Spring Reverb, if you like the sound of reverb tanks Fender used since the 60s. It's a very popular reverb. The UAD Golden Reverberator is very popular for this right now. I have one, but I actually only use its Chamber reverb, as I've come to find Spring reverb too splashy and too much of a special effect for what I'm after. Chamber reverbs aim to emulate the sound of physical spaces, similar to what studios were doing in the 40s and 50s (e.g. Chess, RCA, Capitol). The way a chamber worked is that the studio engineer would send a track out from the mixing board to a speaker in an empty space, such as a basement or a stairwell. Another mic or set of mics would pick up the reverberated/echoed signal in that space and sent it back to the board to be mixed.

Is there any consensus on the best reverb unit?-screenshot-2023-03-29-7-34-41-am-png

Overall I think the UAD Golden Reverberator is great (had one since it first came out), but it's a pain to tweak. It stays at home with other noodly gear. If I want a practical reverb that would come out to gigs, I prefer simplicity over flexibility. For example, I don't need 100 types of reverb on a pedal if I have one sound I like. My favorite dead simple reverb pedal is the Neunaber Wet V5. Instead of sounding like a special effect, it is capable of very subtle settings that just make your amp sound bigger and more 3D.

I think the reverb side of the Nocturne Brain El Pescadero is every bit as good as the algorithms in the UAD and Neunaber pedals. It's very natural sounding and doesn't have any unpleasant digital artifacts. If tavo ever released that as its own small pedal, I'd probably get it. I'm less into the overdrive section of the pedal.
    It is my understanding the reverb on that pedal is PT2399-based (not DSP). If so, it should be very easy to find a small unit of just the reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    +1. If you want warmth, this is really warm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Lots of OG cred with that one. Another one I know that some more mature pros in NY are (still) using is the Alesis Nanoverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    They've gone up on the used market online, especially the RV7. Can probably find them somewhere for a reasonable price though.

User Info Menu

My all time favorite reverb sound is my 1964 Ampeg Reverberocket.

I get close enough with a Boss ME80 and a little reverb from my Little Jazz. Best? I don't know. But I get my sound.

A player I respect recommends a TC pedal. I've never tried it.

User Info Menu

Funny that so many refer to "a pro player" when it comes to gear and what's "best" ... only because I made my living as a pro player for the past 33 years does not automatically mean I know more about gear than the other guy who has a different day job. My ears are trained re music and notes etc. and I can justify spending more money on gear a little easier, that's right but I personally know a number of fellow pro's who are quite ignorant in technical things along with amateur players who are gear-experts and on top of all current trends and fads. Then there are the collectors where money is not an issue ...

Re the reverb question : IMHO it's just as important HOW this effect is dialed in with the rest of one's rig i.e. where it's placed in the signal chain, how much wet signal is mixed in, the EQ of that wet signal, etc. .... I've had "success" with pretty much all of my multi-FX units from BOSS, LINE 6 and now the Quad Cortex, never owned a stand-alone reverb unit up until NOW : a UA Golden Reverberator is on the way and it will serve me in my house only since my other outboard gear is so often packed up. I find playing with different amounts and types of reverbs quite inspiring - not when practicing my Kenny Burrell licks but when the mood strikes me and I feel like diving into some Abercrombie, Metheny or Towner spaces a lush reverb trail is nice to have and helps.

User Info Menu

If you like plate reverb you need to try the catalinbread talisman. Love that pedal.