The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Looking to purchase a gig bag for a solid body like a Tele. Any opinions on either the Mono or Reunion Blues? Which one has better bigger storage? Hard to tell from online pics/descriptions. Any other thoughts? Another make to consider?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Mono bag. Excellent quality and well thought out. Some very nice details for things like pick storage, cable storage, string storage, securing the guitar in the case, a clip that will attach to a key ring or, in my case, the case for my earplugs. Nice bag. Be sure to clip your string ends short or they will tear the inside.

User Info Menu

I have never seen a Reunion bag but I had a Mono Vertigo for my LP. It was very TIGHT.

Good for guitar (except my 7,5 cm wide leather strap didn’t fit in it with the guitar!) but I had difficulties to get my usual accessories (a laptop, a bottle of water and an dry t-shirt – plus the strap) to its storage.

I eventually sold it and bought a Protection Racket bag instead. Plenty of room in the storage for almost half a price. And feels safe for guitar too.

User Info Menu

I have both for my archtops. The Mono has more storage, but my Reunion blues is better quality, and I prefer the way it fixes the guitar neck inside.

User Info Menu

I quite like Ritter bags although I only know their previous series and not the models with extended storage. The two RGP8 bags I have with 33mm padding cost around 80€ each through Thomann, for a solid-body I would have considered a cheaper model with "just enough" padding.

User Info Menu

The Mono Vertigo bags are outstanding. I have one for my acoustic and a slightly thinner one for my 16” archtops. The storage pockets on the Vertigo are larger and have longer zippers than the classic and earlier lines, so they’re easier to get into and hold more stuff than other Mono bags. They also have a new neck support system that’s longer and seems more secure to me than their earlier one, especially in combination with the rubber “sole” that covers the entire end and the interior shock absorber with strap button recess.

The only RB bags I’ve seen have strap & pillow neck supports. I’ve had several of those and far prefer the new Mono system. It just looks and feels much more secure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Looking to purchase a gig bag for a solid body like a Tele. Any opinions on either the Mono or Reunion Blues? Which one has better bigger storage? Hard to tell from online pics/descriptions. Any other thoughts? Another make to consider?
    It depends on the model. I have the Mono M80 Classic and RB Continental (AKA “Voyager"). This Mono has a lot more storage that is easier to get to than this RB because of the way the pockets open and what they’re made of. But it’s different for some other models, e.g., the RBX has more storage than the Mono Sleeve.

The Continental is more Protective than the M80, closer to being a hardshell case. But the M80 is still very protective, enough for pretty much anything short of checking it as luggage or piling heavy stuff on it.
    Last edited by John A.; 03-26-2023 at 10:08 PM.

User Info Menu

In that price range, look at the Gator ProGo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    In that price range, look at the Gator ProGo.
    The ProGo line is great value in a tough bag. I think it’s $90 less than the Mono Vertigo and a very good bag. I’m debating one as a replacement for the ragged 20+ year old Road Runner I use for blues gigs with my equally ragged ‘90s Epi LP7.

User Info Menu

Mono Vertigo Electric is the best case I have found at any price, money-no-object. Mine easily fit the LP I had and also fits (but is tight) my Collings Eastside Jazz LC which is a 15" semi-hollow (despite Mono saying it only fits up to 14.5"). It's just so compact and so protective, easy to get the guitar in/out, lots of pockets, it's perfect...the biggest plus is how easy and comfortable it is to carry! Nothing else comes close to being as comfortable to carry. The only downside is that it's expensive compared to other "gig bags"...but it's so much better that I think it's worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The ProGo line is great value in a tough bag. I think it’s $90 less than the Mono Vertigo and a very good bag. I’m debating one as a replacement for the ragged 20+ year old Road Runner I use for blues gigs with my equally ragged ‘90s Epi LP7.
    I "cheaped out" and went for the Gator ProGo (over a Mono) recently for an acoustic. I'm really pleased with it.

Each of these bags have their own quirks in terms of pocket layout, strap configuration/style, etc... but they all seem to work "well enough" for me. It would certainly be hard to argue that they're "low quality".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz
    I "cheaped out" and went for the Gator ProGo (over a Mono) …It would certainly be hard to argue that they're "low quality".
    No argument there! The GoPro is a high quality bag. But the neck support / stabilization system in the Vertigo seems likely to me to be more effective than any strap-over-pad system in the event of a drop or knock over. I also think the end pin protection system and waterproof sole are probably more effective than the simpler padding and rubber bump strips on the big end of most other bags at any price.

User Info Menu

The Mono has a lot of storage space, I use a Gruv Gear, but I'm amazed every time I gig with a bass player friend of mine. He has a Mono bag and he stores everything from lines, books, an Ipad, etc... all in his Mono bag.

Cheers,
    Arnie.

User Info Menu

Mono is making amazing gig bags.