The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Curious what your thoughts are? I have an opportunity to by one of these for around $2400...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Curious what your thoughts are? I have an opportunity to by one of these for around $2400...
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Which one?
    huh?

User Info Menu

huh?
    I think he is asking which one are you looking at for the 2400 - the 200 or 300.

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    I think he is asking which one are you looking at for the 2400 - the 200 or 300.
    i can get either one (used) for that price...

User Info Menu

I was just searching for the same info. I wonder if I'm looking at the same two guitars you are? I actually just put in an order for a used GB-200. From what I've been able to tell the main difference that would matter to me is the GB-300 has a slighter wider 1 3/4 nut and looks to have a slighter deeper body. I know people may disagree but I doubt the florentine vs. venetian cutaway makes much of a sonic difference. Some cosmetic differences with the inlays and knobs. I went with the GB-200 because I have smallish fingers.

Since you're looking I imagine you probably know the spec differences already so maybe this is useless. Be curious how many people have actually tested them side to side or owned both models.

Quote Originally Posted by Helliger
    I was just searching for the same info. I wonder if I'm looking at the same two guitars you are? I actually just put in an order for a used GB-200. From what I've been able to tell the main difference that would matter to me is the GB-300 has a slighter wider 1 3/4 nut and looks to have a slighter deeper body. I know people may disagree but I doubt the florentine vs. venetian cutaway makes much of a sonic difference. Some cosmetic differences with the inlays and knobs. I went with the GB-200 because I have smallish fingers.

Since you're looking I imagine you probably know the spec differences already so maybe this is useless. Be curious how many people have actually tested them side to side or owned both models.
    The other big difference is 20 vs 22 frets. That will make a huge sonic diff. The extra thickness on the 300 definitely makes feedback worse. The one I tried had sound posts and still had more feedback than the 200. For some reason, ibanez increased the depth on both the pm200 and lgb300. Not sure that was a wise move...

User Info Menu

The other big difference is 20 vs 22 frets. That will make a huge sonic diff. The extra thickness on the 300 definitely makes feedback worse. The one I tried had sound posts and still had more feedback than the 200. For some reason, ibanez increased the depth on both the pm200 and lgb300. Not sure that was a wise move...
    Wow, I can't believe I missed the fret difference when looking at the specs. I thought they both had the same number of frets. I wonder if the 300 would be a bit brighter since the neck pickup will be closer the the bridge.

I also didn't know the 300 had tone posts. Do you know if the GB200 does as well? Tone posts vs. no tone posts would be a huge difference. Since a lot of people end up buying without trying it would be nice if manufacturers detailed as much as possible. What type of bracing, pressed vs laminate, how thick the top is etc.. I guess they probably don't want to get that detailed so they have the option of changing things without causing a huge fuss.

That's the thing nowadays with archtops. It's really hard to find places that carry a selection of nice ones. Guessing how something will play and sound via youtube videos, the spec sheet and people's description is kind of a crap shoot. I bought the GB200 used so if it doesn't work out I should be able to sell it for roughly the same price. I could always return it as well. The store has a long return policy.

As far as body width I'm curious how different the two really are. I see the official specs say the max depth of the 300 is over 4 inches but I believe that includes the bridge. On another thread in this forum someone mentioned the actual body depth of the 300 and I believe that was very close if not exactly the same as the 200.

Guitar will be here probably by the end of next week.

User Info Menu

That's the thing nowadays with archtops. It's really hard to find places that carry a selection of nice ones.
    Many smaller dealers who used to carry several archtops have told me that prospective buyers will come in to try them, and then order online if they can save a few bucks. Too bad.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-25-2023 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Helliger… good luck with the GB200, I’m sure you will like it. From all comments it’s a well respected guitar. There are several 200 fans here.

Yes, Ibanez quotes the body depth including the bridge height. Drives many crazy. Somewhere back here I had to post pictures of my PM200 with a rule to prove it.

And yes, Ibanez USA (Hoshino) does not seem to know much about their own instruments. The best and accurate source for year to year model specs is Portal:Guitar models | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

If you are not a fan of Ibanez neck profiles you would appreciate the LGB300. The neck is different in size and feel from any other Ibanez hollow body I have had or played. George in his intro NAMM video on the guitar stated he had his first 175 and Guild in mind for design. I believe that.

My LBG 300 (2014) has no sound post, FWIW.

It is a very good sounding guitar, I think the most Gibson sounding of the Ibanez hollow bodies. I just prefer the feel of my GB10 and PM200, and will be listing my 300 for sale in a few weeks. Here first of course)

So if you’ve any LGB300 questions please PM me. I know the 300 and PM200 are rare birds to see in the flesh. Or wood. You can see mine here: https://www.davidadamsphoto.com/port...0003hsa64qEY80
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Many smaller dealers who used to carry several archtops have told me that prospective buyers will come in to try them, and then order online if they can save a few bucks. Too bad.
    If the small dealers can hold out long enough once the online stuff has wiped out most competition, the online prices will go up dramatically. In high likelihood a good bit higher then small stores can expect.

The 300 doesn't have sound posts but the guy who sold me his, installed custom posts in his LGB-300 and "forgot" to mention it prior to the sale (on reverb)! And yes, I think it is brighter than the 200 though the body is thicker so it also has more bottom end.

Wow, I can't believe I missed the fret difference when looking at the specs. I thought they both had the same number of frets. I wonder if the 300 would be a bit brighter since the neck pickup will be closer the the bridge.

I also didn't know the 300 had tone posts. Do you know if the GB200 does as well? Tone posts vs. no tone posts would be a huge difference. Since a lot of people end up buying without trying it would be nice if manufacturers detailed as much as possible. What type of bracing, pressed vs laminate, how thick the top is etc.. I guess they probably don't want to get that detailed so they have the option of changing things without causing a huge fuss.

That's the thing nowadays with archtops. It's really hard to find places that carry a selection of nice ones. Guessing how something will play and sound via youtube videos, the spec sheet and people's description is kind of a crap shoot. I bought the GB200 used so if it doesn't work out I should be able to sell it for roughly the same price. I could always return it as well. The store has a long return policy.

As far as body width I'm curious how different the two really are. I see the official specs say the max depth of the 300 is over 4 inches but I believe that includes the bridge. On another thread in this forum someone mentioned the actual body depth of the 300 and I believe that was very close if not exactly the same as the 200.

Guitar will be here probably by the end of next week.

User Info Menu

The 300 doesn't have sound posts but the guy who sold me his, installed custom posts in his LGB-300 and "forgot" to mention it prior to the sale (on reverb)! And yes, I think it is brighter than the 200 though the body is thicker so it also has more bottom end.
    crazy, I wonder how they installed tone posts after the fact. Seems like they would have had to take the top off to do that. That's not something you "forget".

crazy, I wonder how they installed tone posts after the fact. Seems like they would have had to take the top off to do that. That's not something you "forget".
    I've had my luthier do it before. They typically just measure the distance from the top to the back using calipers or some other measuring device and then cut a dowel rod slightly longer than the distances and insert it from the F hole or pickup cavity. There's a company who makes an adjustable sound post that let's you "unscrew" it after placing it in the guitar or bass and one time I had it done, my luthier talked about making something like that.

One thing that seems alarming at first is that to get the fit right, it actually stretches the top so your action changes more than you'd expect after you put them in or remove them. On the guitar of mine that I had posts put in, I was able to pull them out myself when I changed my mind about them but on the LGB-300 from reverb, I didn't want to risk it so I returned the instrument. And yeah, the guy "forgot" to mention it because he probably didn't want to pay someone to remove them and hoped the buyer wouldn't notice.

But the key thing to me is that it fed back so much more than my 175 even *WITH* soundposts in it. (They were positioned roughly under where the adjustment screws in the bridge are...

User Info Menu

I've had my luthier do it before. They typically just measure the distance from the top to the back using calipers or some other measuring device and then cut a dowel rod slightly longer than the distances and insert it from the F hole or pickup cavity. There's a company who makes an adjustable sound post that let's you "unscrew" it after placing it in the guitar or bass and one time I had it done, my luthier talked about making something like that.

One thing that seems alarming at first is that to get the fit right, it actually stretches the top so your action changes more than you'd expect after you put them in or remove them. On the guitar of mine that I had posts put in, I was able to pull them out myself when I changed my mind about them but on the LGB-300 from reverb, I didn't want to risk it so I returned the instrument. And yeah, the guy "forgot" to mention it because he probably didn't want to pay someone to remove them and hoped the buyer wouldn't notice.

But the key thing to me is that it fed back so much more than my 175 even *WITH* soundposts in it. (They were positioned roughly under where the adjustment screws in the bridge are...

Interesting. Sounds tricky trying to get them set up having to go through the F hole. It seems like the GB300 you got had feedback issues the seller was trying to solve with those posts to minimize the top from moving. That didn't do the trick so he tried to sell it. From all the digging I've been doing "feedback issues" isn't something I've come across with the LGB300. Maybe just an issue with that particular guitar. Loose brace maybe or perhaps the posts weren't put in correctly. I would have returned it as well.

User Info Menu

Is the 300 laminate top?

Interesting. Sounds tricky trying to get them set up having to go through the F hole. It seems like the GB300 you got had feedback issues the seller was trying to solve with those posts to minimize the top from moving. That didn't do the trick so he tried to sell it. From all the digging I've been doing "feedback issues" isn't something I've come across with the LGB300. Maybe just an issue with that particular guitar. Loose brace maybe or perhaps the posts weren't put in correctly. I would have returned it as well.
    several other folks have reported that it feeds back quite a lot. More than previous models. Which is the same response I've heard about the PM200 vs previous models.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Is the 300 laminate top?
    don't think so.

User Info Menu

Hi All:
    Some pictures below to (please) stop the nonsense about thr LGB300 and PM200 having 4.5” bodies.
    Also, the pickup cavity pic of my LGB300 sure looks laminated to me)
    In order: GB10, PM200, LGB300, AF200.
    jk

Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-1e63e148-3814-4f04-9e7a-a9fedd5ead43-jpg
    Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-d7d16bce-f6ef-4e12-a174-beef65162c01-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-173c611d-d0c4-4958-94fa-b15705ffd2fc-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-82260f02-1f5b-453e-87f4-55939133a4c3-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-89b4353e-85fd-449d-aec1-e87368c81a86-jpeg

User Info Menu

GB200 came in yesterday. Looks brand new (as advertised) however the frets have a bit of wear and they look like they've been leveled maybe a few times. Not sure if I can level them again without them being too low. Also, the volume pot for the rhythm pickup was totally loose and just flopping around. Easy enough to take the knob off and tighten it but I can't believe the store sent it out like that. Was also set up horribly. Bridge was off so intonation was off (it was tuned so wouldn't have moved in shipping). Truss rod set horribly (0 relief) but I suppose shipping and change in climate might account for that. Pretty much unplayable until I set it up. Plays great now though.

I'll contact the store since they marketed it as being super clean but the frets have some wear although it sounds and plays great. Much more of an acoustic tone than I thought it would have, maybe because I'm used to playing my Gretsch 6120 that has trestle bracing? I've had several archtops in the past but that was a while ago. Just goes to show how trying to figure out what a guitar will sound and play like based on youtube videos and message boards is a crap shoot.

As far as feedback goes. I just got it and haven't gigged with it but I don't think that will be an issue. I played it through and Allen Amp chihuaha pretty loud without issue, then I plugged it into a tweed deluxe (which is susceptible to feedback) without issue. I've had archtops in the past that had issues with feedback (Gibson 165 and Heritage h575 (spruce top). They seemed to have it in this low mid range area and you could kind of feel the feedback fight starting even at lower volumes. I'm not getting that with this guitar. Tone seems very even and doesn't have any range that overpowers. Just got it but seems like a winner.

User Info Menu

for completeness

Af2000
    Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-81aa3d7a-685e-4b53-8319-80b2b74c3c40-jpg

User Info Menu

The frets on the GB200 are on the lower side. Must have had a few fret levels done. Could probably handle one more level though before needing a re-fret. They offered to give back $200 so guitar would be U.S. $2000 + taxes. Other than that it pretty much looks and plays like it's brand new. Does that seem reasonable?

Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-img_1937-jpg

User Info Menu

I swear by the GB200. Love this guitar!Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-8edb7b08-0e13-4ee0-af66-a4cdcf4f31ff-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-337eb806-3616-41a3-affa-18507de64194-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-073df0bd-6464-429c-b878-4bc4bf2d8b87-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-64d8a4ea-9144-4a92-8699-01db07aed8c5-jpegIbanez GB200 vs LGB-300-222f8303-bbc9-40af-b76b-06f5a875ffb8-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-de4de449-c936-4fb5-8fbf-88936cd02399-jpeg 

User Info Menu

The frets on the GB200 are on the lower side. Must have had a few fret levels done. Could probably handle one more level though before needing a re-fret. They offered to give back $200 so guitar would be U.S. $2000 + taxes. Other than that it pretty much looks and plays like it's brand new. Does that seem reasonable?

Ibanez GB200 vs LGB-300-img_1937-jpg
    That is a great price for a great archtop! After all is said and done, only you can decide if it is right for you. I absolutely love mine!!

Here's Mr. Benson playing his GB200 along with Joe Sample. Yes, it sounds a bit bright, but that is GB's preferred EQ setting for his smooth jazz and live shows. However, with the right amp settings and dialing back the volume on the neck pickup a bit and your GB200 will sound darned close to an L5.

Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    That is a great price for a great archtop! After all is said and done, only you can decide if it is right for you. I absolutely love mine!!

Here's Mr. Benson playing his GB200 along with Joe Sample. Yes, it sounds a bit bright, but that is GB's preferred EQ setting for his smooth jazz and live shows. However, with the right amp settings and dialing back the volume on the neck pickup a bit and your GB200 will sound darned close to an L5.

Play it in good health.

Thanks, I ended up telling them I'm going to keep it with the $200 back. It plays and sounds too good to send it back. I agree with the tone up all the way it can be a bit on the bright side but I don't think that's a bad thing. I find it sounds much better and it's easier to take away a frequency that's there as opposed to adding to a frequency that's lacking. Good to have the brightness there if needed. Holds true for recording as well. If I want more treble in a mix I'll look to cut some lower frequencies to clear things up.

On my small amp (an Allen Amp Chihuaha) I tried a setting someone mentioned on here about Fender style amps. They gave a pretty detailed overview of how a typical Fender tone circuit actually works (which I promptly forgot and half understood after reading it). You turn the mid to 10 and the bass and treble to 0. Sounds very good.

Very different tone than when Benson plays when I set it up to my liking. Benson is amazing but not necessarily the tone I'm looking for. When Benson plays it sounds like that because it's him and also how he has all his settings. This guitar can sound quite different than that. I really like the mids. Clear but has body and warmth to it.

I did get some Sure Grip III knobs though. Personally don't care for the look of the wooden one's and I like having the numbers on the knobs for reference points. Nice to turn those sure grips as well.