The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

New guitar for me...love to hear thoughts impressions from any other owners.

new

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I owned a plain goldtop DGT a few years back and liked it , it was a very playable and quite versatile solidbody guitar and it's forte was def. sounds with more or less overdrive/distortion. It did not have a strong identifiable character but neither did any other PRS I owned. Played clean it was kinda bland .... I MUCH prefer my Warmoth/Parts-Tele, my SUHR classic strat and my vintage ES-345 these days and for show-type gigs I use a modern TAUSCH 665.
    This example here has a maple neck whereas the "normal" DGT models all have mahogany necks. This will make a difference in feel and sound. The look and fit'n'finish on PRS guitars is as good as it gets ...

User Info Menu

Really beautiful burst.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I owned a plain goldtop DGT a few years back and liked it , it was a very playable and quite versatile solidbody guitar and it's forte was def. sounds with more or less overdrive/distortion. It did not have a strong identifiable character but neither did any other PRS I owned. Played clean it was kinda bland .... I MUCH prefer my Warmoth/Parts-Tele, my SUHR classic strat and my vintage ES-345 these days and for show-type gigs I use a modern TAUSCH 665.
    This example here has a maple neck whereas the "normal" DGT models all have mahogany necks. This will make a difference in feel and sound. The look and fit'n'finish on PRS guitars is as good as it gets ...
    thanks for the reply. I enjoyed reading it. Good feedback thanks!

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar!!

Don't know too much about current PRS, but I do have a well-worn 1990s Custom 24 "10 top" that I like. It is purple

Prs dgt-jcm900-prs-copy-jpg

Prs dgt-prs-jpg

User Info Menu

That is the best looking Prs Dgt i have seen.A couple of years ago i went back and forth between a DGT and a McCarthy semi hollow 594 trying to decide which to get.The 594 won out but those DGT'S are really great guitars.In fact i've never played a bad PRS,even their SE line is really well made.Enjoy and play that DGT in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Very nice guitar!!

Don't know too much about current PRS, but I do have a well-worn 1990s Custom 24 "10 top" that I like. It is purple

Prs dgt-jcm900-prs-copy-jpg

Prs dgt-prs-jpg
    Wow what a special PRS….thanks for taking time to share it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    That is the best looking Prs Dgt i have seen.A couple of years ago i went back and forth between a DGT and a McCarthy semi hollow 594 trying to decide which to get.The 594 won out but those DGT'S are really great guitars.In fact i've never played a bad PRS,even their SE line is really well made.Enjoy and play that DGT in good health.
    thank you..been looking for awhile and this popped up on Reverb and I knew this was the one. All the best with your music.

User Info Menu

I have a 2008 that I recently acquired in a trade. I wasn't looking for a PRS but someone offered it and it sounded like something I'd be interested in. Someone mentioned not liking the clean tone. I dig the clean tone. I think it sounds great clean, especially with the volume rolled back a bit. The coil split sounds great too. I think the newer versions there's very little volume difference when the pickups are split. In earlier versions like mine there's a noticeable volume drop. Not sure how the change to the way they handle the coil split affects the tone. Bar works great. Pretty top on yours. Is that a 10 top? The maple neck looks really nice. Mine has a mahogany neck.

I play mine through Fender influenced tube amps. Allen amp, Victoria deluxe etc.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Such a stunner! May it give you endless hours of joy, as I’m sure it will. I’ve got one from 2018 and it’s the one I’d save if the house burned down. Of course the build is flawless but it’s the serious mojo that gets me. The neck pickup has a woody voice that’s earthy, warm and super-articulate all at once. The dual pickup setting is very pleasing with endless shades due to the dual volume pots. And the bridge pickup is like a big, fat, giant Tele. The DGT is the standout PRS imho.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the spectacular DGT! They are amazing , I'm still looking for just the right one to add to my Aerie of birds Prs dgt-parlor-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    That is a typical reason why I flip out PRS pickups. Out of the four PRS guitars I have owned, the only PRS pickups I really liked were the ones in my hollowbody ii.

All the DGTs I have played have been excellent. I ended up with a full rosewood neck SC to live in that type of guitar world.

PRS have thier own thing happening. That is more apparent with the traditional PRS fret width. I personally do not think any other guitar can sound as good as a PRS up past the 12th fret. They can really sing up there. I also think that artificial harmonics (both finger and pinch ones) work best on PRS. I think it come down to the fret width.

Excellent guitar. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Helliger
    I have a 2008 that I recently acquired in a trade. I wasn't looking for a PRS but someone offered it and it sounded like something I'd be interested in. Someone mentioned not liking the clean tone. I dig the clean tone. I think it sounds great clean, especially with the volume rolled back a bit. The coil split sounds great too. I think the newer versions there's very little volume difference when the pickups are split. In earlier versions like mine there's a noticeable volume drop. Not sure how the change to the way they handle the coil split affects the tone. Bar works great. Pretty top on yours. Is that a 10 top? The maple neck looks really nice. Mine has a mahogany neck.

I play mine through Fender influenced tube amps. Allen amp, Victoria deluxe etc.

great to hear about your impressions and experience, thanks! It is a 10 top, i do like the maple neck. I'd been looking for one for several months and just happened upon this one, took me less than a second to decide. Thanks again for taking your time to post!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    Congrats! Such a stunner! May it give you endless hours of joy, as I’m sure it will. I’ve got one from 2018 and it’s the one I’d save if the house burned down. Of course the build is flawless but it’s the serious mojo that gets me. The neck pickup has a woody voice that’s earthy, warm and super-articulate all at once. The dual pickup setting is very pleasing with endless shades due to the dual volume pots. And the bridge pickup is like a big, fat, giant Tele. The DGT is the standout PRS imho.
    great to hear about yours and how you use it, i'm looking forward to finding some good sounds. I actually like the knob positioning better than i expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Congrats on the spectacular DGT! They are amazing , I'm still looking for just the right one to add to my Aerie of birds

Prs dgt-parlor-1-jpg
    oh my what a great PRS family! You've got to add one!

User Info Menu

Maple baby,
    Your guitar is BEAUTIFUL!
    Perfect color. It is extremely functional artwork. I’ve loved those guitars since the 1st one I saw. And I think yours is probably the nicest I’ve seen.
    I am thinking when I can’t lift up my arm over the big bodied archtops that loved so much, I could be very happy with one of those!
    Beautiful and thank you for sharing!
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Maple baby,
    Your guitar is BEAUTIFUL!
    Perfect color. It is extremely functional artwork. I’ve loved those guitars since the 1st one I saw. And I think yours is probably the nicest I’ve seen.
    I am thinking when I can’t lift up my arm over the big bodied archtops that loved so much, I could be very happy with one of those!
    Beautiful and thank you for sharing!
    Joe D
    Thank you for sharing your time to visit this thread and share your thoughts on this PRS model!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Helliger

They started using a simple resistor to allow some of the second coil on the humbucker to come through. They started that around 2011 I think.
    So instead of an 8.0 k humbucker split being 4.0 it is 4.8.
    It makes a difference.
    They didn't invent this trick.

User Info Menu

I have a PRS Custom 24 from 1990 that I love dearly. (It was a wedding present from my wife!)

But if something happened to it, and I wanted another PRS, I am pretty sure I would track down a DGT. I watched a couple videos with Grissom talking about developing the design. I think he did a fantastic job. For my tastes, it is my favorite guitar in the PRS lineup.

Congratulations on a real beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    For my tastes, it is my favorite guitar in the PRS lineup.
    Mine too, along with the obscure NF3. As far as solidbody guitars go, wow.