The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 100 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    True, I bought a Martin a few months ago, and am mesmerized by its quality.
    They smell great too!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    Ever hear of Northfield mandolins? Highly respected - pretty much THE hot mandolin brand right now.

Regarding laminated necks - look closely at a current D-18. The neck is two-piece. And the old NY Epiphone laminated necks are beautiful. My 1950 Devon had problems when I bought it - but the three-piece cherry/walnut neck was straight as an arrow and stable.
    I’ll have to take your word for it, as mandolins are the furthest thing from”hot”. But I’ll check em out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    I’ll have to take your word for it, as mandolins are the furthest thing from”hot”. But I’ll check em out.
    depends on which world(s) you move around in. You might be surprised what’s going on. It’s not all Bill Monroe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    depends on which world(s) you move around in. You might be surprised what’s going on. It’s not all Bill Monroe
    Nowadays, it is mostly about Chris Thile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Nowadays, it is mostly about Chris Thile.
    I saw an ad for his music course where you stay in a mansion in upstate New York and he brings his favourite barista to make the bean juice.

The question is would it make you feel any better about your musicianship?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    The question is would it make you feel any better about your musicianship?
    I guess it depends on where the beans are sourced.

User Info Menu

The ES-175? Probably never, at least under current ownership.

The L5, Wes, and Super 400 are safer (and more profitable) bets.

User Info Menu

About 175’s… there’s a Gibson marketing guy who posts regularly on a les Paul forum. He generally answers what he’s asked about future plans.
    All his arch top responses so far are of the ‘we are considering arch top reissues’ but it sounds like in terms of that limited 10K 350 they put out.
    My guess remains a very high priced limited edition, eventually.
    But, they’ve got the same problem US manufacturers have: little to no vocational training exists anymore. Everyone really does not need a four year degree resulting in no usable skill set.

We need a country wide focus on STEM and hands on training, before manufacturing can grab hold on a national level again.
    Perhaps also a tactical nuclear strike on Wall Street, but that’s another story.
    (BTW that’s a plank in Nikki Haley’s platform. That sort of intelligent statement guarantees she’ll never make it. ?)
    The STEM thing is in her platform, not the tactical strike.

jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    But, they’ve got the same problem US manufacturers have: little to no vocational training exists anymore.
    We have plenty of students that learn vocations and do very well - thanks to unions - but a lot of these companies would sooner set themselves on fire than pay someone what they are worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    We have plenty of students that learn vocations and do very well - thanks to unions - but a lot of these companies would sooner set themselves on fire than pay someone what they are worth.
    I can relate, but what one “is worth” is fungible. If companies are going to offshore their labor - without consequence - who’s to say what one is worth? It’s more like - what one demands/costs, and if that is too much for the management team, then offshore we go.

Putting guardrails on THAT, is a characteristic of protectionism and populism.

User Info Menu

Even if Gibson does archtops again, the prices are probably going to be so high that the guitars won't be of interest to most musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Even if Gibson does archtops again, the prices are probably going to be so high that the guitars won't be of interest to most musicians.
    They'll be of interest alright, just out of reach. "why can't I have an L5? why can't I, why can't I?!?"

And the Gibson bashing continues...

User Info Menu

What Is Going On With The Gibson Brand Now?-339296856_243114614892145_4020541392812400675_n-jpg

User Info Menu

What Is Going On With The Gibson Brand Now?-816543fb-aa66-4e5e-9f0f-c147377955d7-jpeg
    What Is Going On With The Gibson Brand Now?-0224dba2-4894-4547-91c5-60ee389bb7ed-jpeg

User Info Menu

I don't know what's going on at Gibson, but Guitar Center is still listing a brand new L5 ... and a new Le Grand as backordered.

Gibson Custom L-5 CES Hollowbody Electric Guitar Natural | Guitar Center

Gibson Custom LeGrand Hollowbody Electric Guitar Natural | Guitar Center

I'm guessing this is real and Gibson is working through these and other archtop backorders before they announce any official future plans for archtops.

User Info Menu

Wow they have doubled their prices from when it was already a stretch for most of us. The good news is there are plethora of great used Archtops at much more affordable prices!

The key is putting the emphasis on Brand Identity, and more on actual quality and playability!

User Info Menu

The date 2015 appears in the detailed link in the browser, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Wow they have doubled their prices from when it was already a stretch for most of us. The good news is there are plethora of great used Archtops at much more affordable prices!

The key is putting the emphasis on Brand Identity, and more on actual quality and playability!
    Those prices are the same as when Gibson was acquired.

The real price is 70-75% of list, and it's been that way for 50 years.

User Info Menu

$500 in 1952 is worth $5,676.23 today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    $500 in 1952 is worth $5,676.23 today
    I’m not sure what your baseline is, is it 1952? You never stated when the “when” was that you couldn’t afford them.

I bought my first ES 335 and L5 in the 70s and littered my house with other carved offerings right through 2015, so I’m pretty familiar with their pricing.

User Info Menu

I don't think "laminate" is the correct word to describe what Gibson did to the headstock. The process called edge gluing in the furniture business.

The glue is actually stronger than the wood so no issues with the structure.

User Info Menu

Is it more akin to veneering?

User Info Menu

No veneer involved in the neck. It's edge glueing. Like a butcher block. Or a bowling alley. It is sometimes called laminating. Like glulam beams for eg. IMHO that neck is a 3 piece gulam beam. Which is fine. They just shoulda matched the wood better.

User Info Menu

Right. I was thinking that this was referring to the headstock faceplate.

User Info Menu

1960 Gibson catalog has an L-5CES Natural listed at $665.00 Prices aren’t listed in earlier catalogs.