The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello all.

I've recently decided to try and step my game up so I am going to be doing reviews of all of my archtops and dedicated jazz amps.

It all kicks off with the Eastman AR372CE.
    I seriously love this guitar, the tones you can get are PHAT.

Would be grateful if you could have a watch/listen and let me know your thoughts or constructive feedback.
    If you enjoy, please subscribe. I want to make this content as good as possible.

Thanks in advance

BP

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice informative review and very tasty playing.Eastmans are not just good for the money but are just great guitars.Ar stands for archtop.Looking forward to more of your reviews.

User Info Menu

Thankyou so much. I've been trawling the Internet trying to find out....all day.
    Appreciate the comment.

User Info Menu

In no particular order, here my impressions.

1. It sounds to me like there's a ton of compression there (not "a little"), and it's significantly altering the attack and tone of the guitar. Lots of people here are familiar with that guitar and know that it doesn't really sound like your demo in person through a clean amp. My suggestion would be to use a clean amp sim in your DAW and way less compression (or none).
    2. The playing examples could use some tightening up. TBH, the Georgia intro is so off that if I were looking for a demo of this guitar, I'd move on to someone else's. I think it would be better to play simpler stuff more crisply..
    3. Whatever you play for an intro, play it on on the neck pickup. That's what people looking for archtops want to hear.
    4. I'm pretty sure "Ar" stands for "archtop"
    5. It strikes me as much too long. Shoot for getting it well under 10 minutes. You spend a lot of time describing the guitar and its specs. I'd cut most of that out. The specs are easily found online and could be listed in your description. Better to just briefly introduce your playing/tone demonstrations. If you're going to talk, make sure the talking adds value, such as by noting differences or similarities you identify between what you're demoing and other models that the target for this demo would know.
    6. Demonstrate more of the range/effect of the tone controls.
    Last edited by John A.; 03-22-2023 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Good review! Should get many interested in the AR372. Lots of guitar for the money.

User Info Menu

Great review.

I'd recommend doing your thing whichever way you feel is best. Over time, you'll get data from Youtube letting you know what works and what doesn't if you're interested in growing the channel.

When I watched your video on Youtube, I was recommended another of your videos that I had actually watched years ago. Considering how good it was, I'm surprised you don't have a larger subscriber base.

Keep the videos coming, cause you've got my subscription.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

1. It sounds to me like there's a ton of compression there (not "a little"), and it's significantly altering the attack and tone of the guitar. Lots of people here are familiar with that guitar and know that it doesn't really sound like your demo in person through a clean amp. My suggestion would be to use a clean amp sim in your DAW and way less compression (or none).
    2. The playing examples could use some tightening up. TBH, the Georgia intro is so off that if I were looking for a demo of this guitar, I'd move on to someone else's. I think it would be better to play simpler stuff more crisply..
    3. Whatever you play for an intro, play it on on the neck pickup. That's what people looking for archtops want to hear.
    5. It strikes me as much too long. Shoot for getting it well under 10 minutes. You spend a lot of time describing the guitar and its specs. I'd cut most of that out. The specs are easily found online and could be listed in your description. Better to just briefly introduce your playing/tone demonstrations. If you're going to talk, make sure the talking adds value, such as by noting differences or similarities you identify between what you're demoing and other models that the target for this demo would know.
    Thanks John.

I see what you mean about the compression but it was literally only a small amount added. YouTube does obviously compress videos after uploading. 4k goes to 1080p for example but I am not sure if it alters audio in any way? I'll be sure to try less next time.
    The amp sim used was a clean jazz amp with a flat eq. Playing the guitar through my Quilter, Mambo and different acoustic amps seem to sound very similar to my ears so I don't quite understand what you mean there.
    I do address all pickups in detail throughout the video. You are correct. The Intro was played in the mid position but you can clearly hear the neck position when it is selected and demonstrated.
    I am sorry that you felt my playing was "so off".
    That's my hands and I can't do anything about that.
    It seems that Martin Taylor doesn't mind my playing though so I'll happily take his critique and run with it?.
    All the best.
    BP
    Attached Images Attached Images Video review of my Eastman AR372CE.-screenshot_20230322_142717-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for the comments mate. Much appreciated. I'll be sure to keep going.
    Also thanks for the subscription.
    BP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Good review! Should get many interested in the AR372. Lots of guitar for the money.

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    Great review.

I'd recommend doing your thing whichever way you feel is best. Over time, you'll get data from Youtube letting you know what works and what doesn't if you're interested in growing the channel.

When I watched your video on Youtube, I was recommended another of your videos that I had actually watched years ago. Considering how good it was, I'm surprised you don't have a larger subscriber base.

Keep the videos coming, cause you've got my subscription.

Thanks very much for the comments mate. Much appreciated. I'll be sure to keep going.
    Also thanks for the subscription.
    BP

User Info Menu

Video review of my Eastman AR372CE.-facepalm-head-jpeg

User Info Menu

Video review of my Eastman AR372CE.-facepalm-head-jpeg
    I am sure John is a much more accomplished guitarist than I am and that why he is picking up on my sloppy playing.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Benjazzzman82
    I am sure John is a much more accomplished guitarist than I am and that why he is picking up on my sloppy playing.?
    All good guitar players on this group. No GREAT guitar players! We should always try to encourage one another.

User Info Menu

All good guitar players on this group. No GREAT guitar players! We should always try to encourage one another.
    Couldn't have put it better man.
    I came to a realisation a few years back when I was in a bit of a slump. I was comparing myself to some of my peers thinking, " they are technically better than I am" or "they read quicker than I do". I was still gigging 3 nights a week but was judging myself.
    Luckily, I picked myself up when I realised that, there is nobody on this planet who plays the guitar like Skiboyny or Ben Pedley. No-one sounds like them.
    I have confidence again now and I appreciate other guitarists rather than comparing myself tot them.
    Plus, if Martin Taylor appreciated my playing, I'm all good. ?

User Info Menu

Yeah, sorry, that came off harsher than I intended.

User Info Menu

Video review of my Eastman AR372CE.-screenshot_20221209_091727_com-reddit-frontpage-jpg

User Info Menu

Yeah, sorry, that came off harsher than I intended.
    No worries John.

You raise some valid points in there which I am taking on board before I do the next video.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Ebony fingerboard!