The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

D’Angelico Excel a #2076 dated 04/20/59. It’s in wonderful condition and all original except the pick-guard (hunch it was made by Sam Koontz) and missing a truss-rod cover. No cracks to the binding. Remarkable guitar - never heard a sound (sustain, tone clarity) like it before. Hard to put down!

Note: Mark Cleary is making a pickguard. Does anyone know of a way to find vintage truss rod cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! Beautiful! Congrats.

User Info Menu

looks great and yeah that's one of Sam's guards for sure.
    you're past the problem binding era so no worries there.
    the Imperials are later than the guitar.
    that guitar likely came w/ either an aluminum or pearl truss cover

User Info Menu

Well that is as good as it gets. Congrats and may she inspire your playing for many years to come! I just used my 48 Style B on a gig last night and it has a Mark Cleary pickguard on her (you made a good choice going with Mark). Best of luck on the Truss Rod Cover. Maybe Chris Mirabella, the D'Angelico guitar company in New York or Rick McCurdy (he is building the licensed USA replicas at this time AFAIK).

I own three genuine DA's and have played many archtops over the years. Nothing I have played beats a real DA yet. I have played a Buscarino, a Borys, a Megas, two Treniers, a Holst, a Stromberg and many others. The DA's win hands down IMO.

User Info Menu

WoW! Congrats on owning a real piece of history. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Absolutely perfect. Aside from putting some medium 80/20 strings, I can't imagine a better guitar.

User Info Menu

The condition is really incredible. I am absolutely floored by this guitar.

Here's another '59 DA that popped up on YouTube, 16 minutes straight of guitar solos on a DA.

User Info Menu

No doubt the GREATEST archtops ever built. A huge Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    The condition is really incredible. I am absolutely floored by this guitar.

Here's another '59 DA that popped up on YouTube, 16 minutes straight of guitar solos on a DA.

Thanks for sharing! Love to hear it played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats, and enjoy this great guitar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Well that is as good as it gets. Congrats and may she inspire your playing for many years to come! I just used my 48 Style B on a gig last night and it has a Mark Cleary pickguard on her (you made a good choice going with Mark). Best of luck on the Truss Rod Cover. Maybe Chris Mirabella, the D'Angelico guitar company in New York or Rick McCurdy (he is building the licensed USA replicas at this time AFAIK).

I own three genuine DA's and have played many archtops over the years. Nothing I have played beats a real DA yet. I have played a Buscarino, a Borys, a Megas, two Treniers, a Holst, a Stromberg and many others. The DA's win hands down IMO.

Hey - update to share. I connected with Mirabella and he's going to make a trussrod cover. This thing will be in proper form soon.

Interesting to note: This guitar has a uniquely thin neck - not something I mind at all even though (I mostly play on a classical w/ a 2 inch neck so any archtop feels small) but it feels great and you fly across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    looks great and yeah that's one of Sam's guards for sure.
    you're past the problem binding era so no worries there.
    the Imperials are later than the guitar.
    that guitar likely came w/ either an aluminum or pearl truss cover
    Hey - yes the tuners were changed, not sure why though. It sounds like Mirabella can make the cover so after that + the cleary pickguard I'm in proper playing shape (aesthetically at least, it currently sounds fantastic)