The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been wanting a semi-hollow body guitar that can make decent jazz tones, but I didn't want to break the bank. I kept hearing how good the new Donner DJP-1000 was and ordered one, but I was very disappointed in the sound. That's a shame because it is super affordable. But back it went to the shop, which had a great deal on a used Epiphone Sheraton II Pro.

I tried the Sheraton out of curiosity. I didn't expect to love it. But I was amazed. This is the best sounding 335-ish guitar I've ever personally tried (I feel like I've tried them all, except the actual Gibson). This thing sounds super dreamy and creamy. The neck pickup in particular is to die for. Absolutely makes beautiful jazz tones, but can rock and do blues too. I'm pretty stoked. Just the right price for me (used) to get back to trying some jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a good guitar. Had one in the rarer wine red, sold it. Never should've sold it. Junk pickup selector switch and lots of neck dive that only a Bigsby or lead weights on a strap end would fix. I will say it was a tighter, more focused sound than my Gibson but no one could tell the difference, me included, once the band kicked in. The Probucker's struck me as slightly hotter than '57 classics though I don't believe they read much more on the ohm meter.

Should've kept it, it was just more money into it than I wanted to spend at the time. The five piece neck is inherently superior in terms of stability and consistency. over just about any similar sub 1k semi hollow guitar. Makes the instrument a pretty serious value IMO. It had a shred metal level low, buzz free action, so much so that I had to raise it to do any bending work. Enjoy your guitar. Take my advice it's worth any money you spend to mod it down the road as needed as the guitar's bones make it a keeper.

Thanks, DawgBone. It certainly feels and sounds like a keeper.

User Info Menu

Can’t go wrong with Epiphone.