The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I have not played one though perhaps I will get an opportunity later this year, thus my question. I am not seeking opinions about its looks or design from a visual perspective, but from a player point of view. Are they comfortable? Does the design, where as they may be played in a classical position work in terms of ergonomics? Does it offer relief for back and shoulder? Is the neck comfortable with the asymmetric neck design? Have you experience with the fanned fret version, if so what did you think of that after getting used to the change it represents? I have for many years thought that they must be more comfortable than any traditional guitar shape, but does that thought stand up?

Any opinions as per the above are welcome. What should I look for in the event I get a chance to try one?

Many thanks

0zoro

ps I am late in noting that there are a few pirate version from amongst others the Chinese Latitude Cardinal and the Eart GW 2 and GW 2 pro. Same basic design idea. If anyone has experience with these models please sound out as per the questions above and well as eventual QC issues.
    Last edited by 0zoro; 03-17-2023 at 09:16 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very comfortable bodies. I've done work on many and the workmanship is exceptional, but the necks are...unique. They have angled flat surfaces rather than a rounded C or D contour. I found it cause to never consider it myself nor recommend one without the buyer first trying it out. But body size and design, I liked it.
    It's different, and nice for angled playing, just different enough to warrant trying it, for a while, first.

They also come standard with one of the nicest tool and case candy packages

User Info Menu

There's a ton of discussion on these guitars over at ss.org. The .strandberg* Thread | Page 197 | SevenString.org

There's a lot to read there, but the reviews have been mixed at best. Some people have found incredible pain relief with the neck shape, others not so much. There have also been a number of notable QC issues on the guitars that have resulted in many being sent back or exchanged.

I had an 8 string from their first US run and the guitar didn't really do much for me.

User Info Menu

Though I have never seen a Strandberg, I have similarly read mixed reviews. A possible similar alternative might be a Legator. I have the G7-FOD: Legator G7FOD Ghost Overdrive 7-String Multi-Scale Electric Guitar Arctic | Guitar Center that I purchased used. It is comfortable and I found that the fan frets never posed any problem with regard to getting used to. From what I read, Legator had its share of QC issues until around 2020 when they apparently took steps to rectify the situation. I also read that their guitars below $1,000 are not very good, but above that number, they are fairly decent.

Looking at Legator's own site, I don't see this model, but do see an Anniversary version for a lot more money. This model does show up selling at various guitar store sites such as the link for Guitar Center, so I would think some international sites may carry it. With any guitar of this unusual design, I agree with previous posters that try before you buy is a good idea. Since mine showed up locally, this wasn't an issue.

Edit: After posting this, I realized you may not necessarily be looking for a 7 string. If that is the case, you may need to look elsewhere, but at least this might give you ideas to broaden your search for a similarly styled model with another maker.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Very comfortable bodies. I've done work on many and the workmanship is exceptional, but the necks are...unique. They have angled flat surfaces rather than a rounded C or D contour. I found it cause to never consider it myself nor recommend one without the buyer first trying it out. But body size and design, I liked it.
    It's different, and nice for angled playing, just different enough to warrant trying it, for a while, first.

They also come standard with one of the nicest tool and case candy packages
    Thanks Jbn! You touch on my main worry. The neck shape is special I understand though the question of fanned frets has been described as just getting used to. I have only seen a few YT reviews but will get to the Strandberg reviews mentions further below.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Though I have never seen a Strandberg, I have similarly read mixed reviews. A possible similar alternative might be a Legator. I have the G7-FOD: Legator G7FOD Ghost Overdrive 7-String Multi-Scale Electric Guitar Arctic | Guitar Center that I purchased used. It is comfortable and I found that the fan frets never posed any problem with regard to getting used to. From what I read, Legator had its share of QC issues until around 2020 when they apparently took steps to rectify the situation. I also read that their guitars below $1,000 are not very good, but above that number, they are fairly decent.

Looking at Legator's own site, I don't see this model, but do see an Anniversary version for a lot more money. This model does show up selling at various guitar store sites such as the link for Guitar Center, so I would think some international sites may carry it. With any guitar of this unusual design, I agree with previous posters that try before you buy is a good idea. Since mine showed up locally, this wasn't an issue.

Edit: After posting this, I realized you may not necessarily be looking for a 7 string. If that is the case, you may need to look elsewhere, but at least this might give you ideas to broaden your search for a similarly styled model with another maker.

Tony
    Thanks Tony! I think the thing that makes me believe in the Strandberg and similar is the body shape itself. It looks to my eye to be perfectly suited for seated practice and be more confortable than any other shape I have played. No, I am not looking for a 7 string, keeping track of 6 strings and 10 fingers is enough for me though I saw a fusion player at a concert yesterday who played a Strandberg 7 string and it shined up amazingly.

User Info Menu

I have a few similar body shaped headless, but with conventional round backed necks.

They have the best body shape I've found for sitting upright whilst playing seated.

I have played actual Strandbergs.

Here is a pic of one of my headless guitars.

I have a new 7 String with a similar shape too, but round backed neck.

It's the Strandberg body shape I like, but I should get their Boden guitar.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine has one, and I tried it briefly. I like the ergonomics of it and the neck shape. But 24-fret necks are a deal breaker for me because of the neck pickup placement, and that's all they make.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I have a few similar body shaped headless, but with conventional round backed necks.

They have the best body shape I've found for sitting upright whilst playing seated.

I have played actual Strandbergs.

Here is a pic of one of my headless guitars.

I have a new 7 String with a similar shape too, but round backed neck.

It's the Strandberg body shape I like, but I should get their Boden guitar.

Hello Guy, those are both beautiful instruments you have. They exude comfort to my eyes for seated play. I should imagine you have had them made locally, very nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    A friend of mine has one, and I tried it briefly. I like the ergonomics of it and the neck shape. But 24 necks are a deal breaker for me because of the neck pickup placement, and that's all they make.
    Hi John! Thanks for your reply.What was it you meant about the 24 neck and pup placement? I havent played one so this hasnt occurred to me. I believe they make 2 neck lengths, 25 and 25.5" and that the neck radius is 20" though I dont know if that is on all models or 6 stringers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Hello Guy, those are both beautiful instruments you have. They exude comfort to my eyes for seated play. I should imagine you have had them made locally, very nice!
    I built them both myself, but the body and neck were cut on a CNC machine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I built them both myself, but the body and neck were cut on a CNC machine.
    I am awe struck! Are you a luthier? This raises a whole new series of questions about design, construction, special tools, hardware etc. Fantastic builds, I am enormously impressed! At the same time I laugh at my pondering as to were they locally built. Ha!

User Info Menu

Hi John! Thanks for your reply.What was it you meant about the 24 neck and pup placement? I havent played one so this hasnt occurred to me. I believe they make 2 neck lengths, 25 and 25.5" and that the neck radius is 20" though I dont know if that is on all models or 6 stringers.
    Sorry, I meant 24-fret (and fixed that in my post). On any 24-fret neck, the neck pickup has to be pushed back further toward the bridge than on a neck with fewer frets. This leads to a slightly different, brighter tone compared to the pickup placement on, say, an ES-175, 335, or Les Paul. If you like that sound, fine, but it's a fairly common complaint about 24-fret necks.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I meant 24-fret (and fixed that in my post). On any 24-fret neck, the neck pickup has to be pushed back further toward the bridge than on a neck with fewer frets. This leads to a slightly different, brighter tone compared to the pickup placement on, say, an ES-175, 335, or Les Paul. If you like that sound, fine, but it's a fairly common complaint about 24-fret necks.
    Thanks for the clarification! Yes that would make a difference and I think not a sound I am looking for.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine has one, and I tried it briefly. I like the ergonomics of it and the neck shape. But 24-fret necks are a deal breaker for me because of the neck pickup placement, and that's all they make.
    That's how I feel about 24 fret necks, too. The neck pickup ends up too close to the bridge. I don't know about the big fretboard radius, too. It's like their CNC is committed to making shredder guitars.

I've also heard that the original builds were very high standard but the Indonesian (?) builds now have various QA issues.

User Info Menu

Also check out the Forshage Orion — most comfortable seated posture I have experienced. I have two of them, one a standard neck 6-string and the other a fanned high-A 7-string. Chris will make any neck profile and scale length[s] you prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I've also heard that the original builds were very high standard but the Indonesian (?) builds now have various QA issues.
    I played a recent build Strandberg 7 I spotted on the used gear wall at the local GC. It looked great from floor level when it was at the top of the wall. But close up, it looked crude. Join lines were too wide, hardware was flimsy and imprecise, and it reminded me of a cheap Ikea product.

Tuners were sloppy and harder to turn than others I’ve tried of the same type. The string anchors in the tuners stuck in place, so you had to back off the tuner knob and yank on a string to detune it. It sounded like a rock guitar on either pickup at any setting.

I thought the neck profile was fine, though. If it had been better made and could get a decently mellow tone, I was ready to buy it when I saw it. That changed when I played it, but I’d have been fine with the neck.

FWIW, I figured the new Ibanez QX would be better all the way around. They’ve been hard to find in the flesh, but I found one in stock near DC and was willing to drive down there to try and hopefully buy it. When I called the dealer to make sure it was there and arrange to meet him at the store the next day, he asked me why I wanted it. We discussed my age, experience, and needs. Then he asked what others I’d tried. When I described the above experience with a Strandberg, he told me the Ibanez was similar - flimsy hardware, sloppy tuners, less than refined feel etc. He didn’t think I’d find it any more desirable than the Strandberg and suggested that I not waste the drive. If one pops up at a local store, I’ll go try it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Also check out the Forshage Orion — most comfortable seated posture I have experienced. I have two of them, one a standard neck 6-string and the other a fanned high-A 7-string. Chris will make any neck profile and scale length[s] you prefer.
    Yes pc, those look like excellent guitars, unfortunately a bit out of my wallet range. I sadly note that there is a lesser market here in Europe than that of the US concerning both builds, designs and price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I played a recent build Strandberg 7 I spotted on the used gear wall at the local GC. It looked great from floor level when it was at the top of the wall. But close up, it looked crude. Join lines were too wide, hardware was flimsy and imprecise, and it reminded me of a cheap Ikea product.

Tuners were sloppy and harder to turn than others I’ve tried of the same type. The string anchors in the tuners stuck in place, so you had to back off the tuner knob and yank on a string to detune it. It sounded like a rock guitar on either pickup at any setting.

I thought the neck profile was fine, though. If it had been better made and could get a decently mellow tone, I was ready to buy it when I saw it. That changed when I played it, but I’d have been fine with the neck.

FWIW, I figured the new Ibanez QX would be better all the way around. They’ve been hard to find in the flesh, but I found one in stock near DC and was willing to drive down there to try and hopefully buy it. When I called the dealer to make sure it was there and arrange to meet him at the store the next day, he asked me why I wanted it. We discussed my age, experience, and needs. Then he asked what others I’d tried. When I described the above experience with a Strandberg, he told me the Ibanez was similar - flimsy hardware, sloppy tuners, less than refined feel etc. He didn’t think I’d find it any more desirable than the Strandberg and suggested that I not waste the drive. If one pops up at a local store, I’ll go try it.
    Hej nshsi. The search goes on. The mentioned Ibanez does not have the body shape that the Strandberg has and which has been the attraction. I have not really understood the headless Ibanez, simply headless seems more like an odd gimmick rather than a design advantage. I havent seen much written about the QX and have assumed it is geared toward a different player category. SAd to hear of the low QC on it as many other Ibanez guitars are quite well made.
    Last edited by 0zoro; 03-17-2023 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe check out the Mayones Hydra?

User Info Menu

SAd to hear of the low QC on it as many other Ibanez guitars are quite well made.
    Me too! I've had several Ibanez products since the 1970s and loved all but one - an ill conceived, badly designed, badly made 7 string flat top with terrible intonation, lifeless sound, and a crude feel (I returned it within days). My only archtop for the first 20 years I had it was the AF207 I bought new. I still play it on most gigs despite having gotten both a 16" and a 17" carved Eastman in the last few years. I also have an AEL207 flat top that's amazingly well made, sounds wonderful, looks great, and plays like a dream with action as low, fast and smooth as my solid bodies.

I'm so sold on Ibanez that I probably would have ordered a QX without even seeing it first. But something told me I should play one before spending a grand on it, and I'm glad I did. I find it hard to believe that Ibanez could let a clunker slip out the door, but they've apparently had a few weak models over the years. To be honest, I never did get to try one - I went by that dealer's opinion. He seemed very knowledgeable, and I can't imagine that he'd tell me not to buy a brand new guitar from him for any reason other than his honest belief that it was not worth the money. And he had 2 in stock, so it's not like he was going to sell his only one to a friend or a long time customer (which I assume he would have told me anyway).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Me too! I've had several Ibanez products since the 1970s and loved all but one - an ill conceived, badly designed, badly made 7 string flat top with terrible intonation, lifeless sound, and a crude feel (I returned it within days). My only archtop for the first 20 years I had it was the AF207 I bought new. I still play it on most gigs despite having gotten both a 16" and a 17" carved Eastman in the last few years. I also have an AEL207 flat top that's amazingly well made, sounds wonderful, looks great, and plays like a dream with action as low, fast and smooth as my solid bodies.

I'm so sold on Ibanez that I probably would have ordered a QX without even seeing it first. But something told me I should play one before spending a grand on it, and I'm glad I did. I find it hard to believe that Ibanez could let a clunker slip out the door, but they've apparently had a few weak models over the years. To be honest, I never did get to try one - I went by that dealer's opinion. He seemed very knowledgeable, and I can't imagine that he'd tell me not to buy a brand new guitar from him for any reason other than his honest belief that it was not worth the money. And he had 2 in stock, so it's not like he was going to sell his only one to a friend or a long time customer (which I assume he would have told me anyway).
    Indeed. A bit off subject I recall a recording of you using I believe a tele 7 string outfitted with those unusually designed copper pups (I have forgotten the name for the moment) that I thought sounded great. I was most disappointed when I realized that they wouldn't fit my tele single coil without a mod. That step I was not prepared to take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    Maybe check out the Mayones Hydra?
    Hej Cliff, I have looked at them but they do not have the body design for classical position that I am looking for unfortunately.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Indeed. A bit off subject I recall a recording of you using I believe a tele 7 string outfitted with those unusually designed copper pups (I have forgotten the name for the moment) that I thought sounded great. I was most disappointed when I realized that they wouldn't fit my tele single coil without a mod. That step I was not prepared to take.
    Those are Lace Alumitones. They come in single coil size too, and as far as I can tell they sound the same in either format. Lace even sells a Tele pickguard loaded with one of their SC sized Alumitones - check it out on their website.