The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Two of my friends had to send their strandburgs back due to quality issues. If I remember right their was fret issues.

I also came across a tech who had mentioned that he ran into a new higher end Ibanez with issues. We both agreed that it would be sad if Ibanez has decided to not put as much effort into qc as they once did.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    SAd to hear of the low QC on it as many other Ibanez guitars are quite well made.
    Considering that there is no Ibanez factory, plant or manufacturing facility, the name on the headstock is the only thing that ties their line together. Of course there are excellent guitars from Ibanez and there always will be. They'll also always have guitars some factory will be building for Hoshino that exist to give the buyer something competitive on a budget.

By the way there's a factory I use in China. I'm trying out their product for quality and they're building a Strandberg knockoff for a five hundred bucks. I'll let you know how good it is when I get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I am awe struck! Are you a luthier? This raises a whole new series of questions about design, construction, special tools, hardware etc. Fantastic builds, I am enormously impressed! At the same time I laugh at my pondering as to were they locally built. Ha!
    No I am not a luthier, I am a Software Engineer who just likes building guitars for my own personal use. You need access to someone with a CNC machine to cut the body and neck.

The newer Strandberg String Clamp is an improvement in design, than the older single string pieces.

New design below:

The newer Strandberg bridge still uses Teflon washers, where almost all high quality headless bridges use a series of thrust bearings.

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who immediately imagined dropping part 7 and not being able to see it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Considering that there is no Ibanez factory, plant or manufacturing facility, the name on the headstock is the only thing that ties their line together. Of course there are excellent guitars from Ibanez and there always will be. They'll also always have guitars some factory will be building for Hoshino that exist to give the buyer something competitive on a budget.

By the way there's a factory I use in China. I'm trying out their product for quality and they're building a Strandberg knockoff for a five hundred bucks. I'll let you know how good it is when I get it.
    Hej J B N, that sounds very interesting I have mentioned earlier that I have seen Eart and Latitude, both make a Strandberg copy. I have read and seen several reviews and there seem to be issues with the tuner on some from Latitude. I have considered trying one of them as a project, though I am not quite there yet. I for one am very interested in your findings so please let me know when this happens. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Am I the only one who immediately imagined dropping part 7 and not being able to see it?
    I just have to find the contact lens I dropped first, then number 7 should show up nicely. I think it landed over there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    No I am not a luthier, I am a Software Engineer who just likes building guitars for my own personal use. You need access to someone with a CNC machine to cut the body and neck.

The newer Strandberg String Clamp is an improvement in design, than the older single string pieces.

New design below:

The newer Strandberg bridge still uses Teflon washers, where almost all high quality headless bridges use a series of thrust bearings.

Again Guy, I am so impressed with your builds, and as a talented wood worker with time on his hands my interest is perked. I however do not have any contacts here in Stockholm with a CNC machine so I hve to ignore the tickling feeling for the work and let be. Even the thought of ordering something like that and having it delivered here is out of the picture, or at least I can not conceive of it working.

User Info Menu

Hello Ozoro, I just purchased a Salen Jazz over the weekend. I'm looking forward to learning about jazz guitar on it! What influenced me to buy it was the ergonomic designs. The EndurNeck was designed to decrease the stress on joints, muscles and tendons. I need that! hehehe I do like to practice as much as I can. I'm happy with the overall fit and finish of the guitar. I'll get back to you after spending more time with it. There are a few jazz enthusiasts that use the Salen.
    Please check out this nice video:

Hope you get a chance to try one soon!Any views on the Strandberg guitars?-20230319_082139-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi313
    Hello Ozoro, I just purchased a Salen Jazz over the weekend. I'm looking forward to learning about jazz guitar on it! What influenced me to buy it was the ergonomic designs. The EndurNeck was designed to decrease the stress on joints, muscles and tendons. I need that! hehehe I do like to practice as much as I can. I'm happy with the overall fit and finish of the guitar. I'll get back to you after spending more time with it. There are a few jazz enthusiasts that use the Salen.
    Please check out this nice video:

Hope you get a chance to try one soon!Any views on the Strandberg guitars?-20230319_082139-jpg
    Cool Sushi, not only am I interested in your views but I believe there are many others as well. Looking forward to hearing from you!

User Info Menu

I just took delivery of one of these Salen Jazz...pretty cool!!! found one used, mint. PLayed for about a half hour before my gig..im digging it. ya not sure about these pickups but i got a decent jazz sound with my Bud 10. saw this guy who swapped out everything. hmm if i make it through the honeymoon phase maybe go in this direction.

Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 12-29-2023 at 12:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I’ve had a few high-end Ibanez models recently (Prestige) that sell for around $2000 which had unlevel frets or other quality issues.

the headless thing appeals to me since I have left shoulder issues and the weight and balance are better on a strap.

I’ve tried a Strandberg Standard Boden 3 times. The first one was perfect but I didn’t like the endurneck. Tried again, but the next 2 had seriously unlevel frets.

comments about the tone are correct. These are rock/fusion guitars. The neck pickup is thin and clear. Good for what it is but never going to sound like jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    I just took delivery of one of these Salen Jazz...pretty cool!!! found one used, mint. PLayed for about a half hour before my gig..im digging it. ya not sure about these pickups but i got a decent jazz sound with my Bud 10. saw this guy who swapped out everything. hmm if i make it through the honeymoon phase maybe go in this direction.

I purchased my Salen Jazz back in March '23. If I had to choose one guitar from my small collection to keep, it would be my Salen. Its ergo features allow me to play with less pain in my old fretting hand. It doesn't have the traditional jazz tones, but it sounds great to me.

User Info Menu