The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 103

User Info Menu

That Collings is an absolute mess. They had to have known before they sent it out that it was a terrible job.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heard if I want a really good Martin, buy a Collins. Going to drop that aphorism now.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    That Collings is an absolute mess. They had to have known before they sent it out that it was a terrible job.
    And the Music Emporium should have probably sent it back to Collings instead of photographing it overly generously and selling it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I also have guitars from the 50s with absolutely no checking. The prior owners must have kept them in a case in a climate controlled environment, as the finish looks practically new (with no sign at all of overspray).
    My plan is all my L5’s and my 175 will be check free in 2070.
    Unfortunately, I will be 107 then, and I probably won’t know the difference between a guitar and a suppository.
    I seriously do not like checking. And I am glad there are others who don’t mind checking. That means some people will want my guitars when my plan doesn’t quite work out!
    JD

User Info Menu

The Collings is not a relic. The owner has done something very bad to it. The screenshots he includes from the Music Emporium site show no relic work, and they do not mention it in their description. Collings sell the guitar with an aged finish, not a damaged finish.

But what did the owner do to his
    guitar to make it so horrible?

Collings aged finish = checking. trust me I owned three of them

User Info Menu

I like Collings guitars. I've had a few of them. Excellent instruments, IMO. No question, the instrument under discussion is not very attractive. If I was in the market, I'd be happy to buy it, so long as it was priced at an appealing discount, or part of a trade.

My favourite checked guitar (since updated with a proper pickguard and vintage pickup):

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-19-2023 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd buy it for a deep discount and refinish it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    My plan is all my L5’s and my 175 will be check free in 2070.
    Unfortunately, I will be 107 then, and I probably won’t know the difference between a guitar and a suppository.
    I seriously do not like checking. And I am glad there are others who don’t mind checking. That means some people will want my guitars when my plan doesn’t quite work out!
    JD
    Don’t worry Joe old chum. I’ll come round and check them for you

I mean make sure they are free of checks.

User Info Menu

Thank you my good man.
    JD

User Info Menu

Enclosed is a link to the original ad when the guitar was sold as new by the Music Emporium.
    Collings I-30LC Aged Natural w/ Throbak P90s | The Music Emporium

User Info Menu

I hate this VOS fad. I find it ridiculous. Buy new or buy old.
    I bought a new Borys that IMO looked like crap.
    I had the corroded tailpiece gold plated and am currently having the whole guitar refinished by a real pro.
    Paying more to have a new guitar beat up is just crazy.
    Would you buy a brand new car with dents and scratches all over it ?
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 03-18-2023 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Audioguy5
    Enclosed is a link to the original ad when the guitar was sold as new by the Music Emporium.
    Collings I-30LC Aged Natural w/ Throbak P90s | The Music Emporium
    Agree with the assessment that the guitar did not leave Collings or TME with those finish issues. Shady seller. The only thing Collings seems guilty of is offering aged finishes at all, but n/a here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    Agree with the assessment that the guitar did not leave Collings or TME with those finish issues. Shady seller. The only thing Collings seems guilty of is offering aged finishes at all, but n/a here.

This is incorrect. Here are three examples of Collings aged finish: all three had lacquer cracks, which is done at the factory. They reason you can’t see them in the music emporium site is because of how they photograph their instruments. Like I’ve said I’ve owned three Collings electrics with aged finish, none of them look as bad as this one but all three had lacquer cracks done at the factory.

Collings I-35 LC Aged | Folkway

Collings I-30LC Aged Finish w/ ThroBaks SN 20417 – TR Crandall Guitars

Collings I-35 LC Deluxe Aged Finish and Hardware - Pelham Blue - Eddie's Guitars

I don't get it-81d1a962-ac03-498b-b557-f13ef0ea05f0-pngI don't get it-97a1e392-30ae-4748-b7e7-a1a395ffec43-pngI don't get it-ba9192eb-6023-4af6-891a-4243b0713fe1-pngI don't get it-35fa8c89-3e99-4a5e-978b-7fb7f46eb90c-jpeg

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=omphalopsychos;1254601]This is incorrect. Here are three examples of Collings aged finish: all three had lacquer cracks, which is done at the factory. They reason you can’t see them in the music emporium site is because of how they photograph their instruments. Like I’ve said I’ve owned three Collings electrics with aged finish, none of them look as bad as this one but all three had lacquer cracks done at the factory.

None of them look realistic. The cracking on the blue one is too evenly small over the entire top, the cracking on the blonde one is too long or wide, the brown one looks like a defect, like someone spilled something on it and the black one has too much cracking in one place. I wonder if whoever sprays these or ages them even researches pictures of vintage guitars on the internet? An artistic touch is needed to capture the randomness of aging without overdoing it. It's stupid to do this on archtop guitars. I guess there is a market for old looking Telecasters and such but it just ruins the looks of an archtop. I thought finish cracking reduced the price of vintage archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skittles

Take a closer look at the TME pics….the horrible checking is there, but the photo lighting minimizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Take a closer look at the TME pics….the horrible checking is there, but the photo lighting minimizes it.
    Good catch. You're totally right. Here are the TME listing photos enlarged.

I don't get it-screenshot-2023-03-18-1-28-26-pm-pngI don't get it-screenshot-2023-03-18-1-28-34-pm-pngI don't get it-screenshot-2023-03-18-1-28-43-pm-pngI don't get it-screenshot-2023-03-18-1-28-51-pm-pngI don't get it-screenshot-2023-03-18-1-29-00-pm-png

User Info Menu

I stand corrected. Phone browsing and didn’t catch those details. So, yeah, an awful example of an unfortunate trend.

User Info Menu

With respect to the original post. I have re-finished guitars that were not that bad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I hope it finds an appreciative match, maybe a guitar player who's been recently mauled by a bear? .
    That’s funny!!!

User Info Menu

why not just leave it in the garage in 20 degree temps for a couple days then bring it into your 80 degree home.
    voila, instant relicing, no extra charge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I had the corroded tailpiece gold plated and am currently having the whole guitar refinished by a real pro. ……..
    Vinny1k,

Wow! I remember reviewing your posts expressing dissatisfaction with the tailpiece finish. Didn’t know you had issues with the entire guitar finish.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    why not just leave it in the garage in 20 degree temps for a couple days then bring it into your 80 degree home.
    voila, instant relicing, no extra charge
    1:50 Relic-ing by a genuine committed professional

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I hate this VOS fad. I find it ridiculous. Buy new or buy old.
    I had the corroded tailpiece gold plated and am currently having the whole guitar refinished by a real pro.
    Paying more to have a new guitar beat up is just crazy.
    Would you buy a brand new car with dents and scratches all over it ?
    Why would you continue to pour money into a guitar that you don’t like in any way? A perfect tailpiece and finish still won’t change the fact that you don’t like the size or sound. Just perplexes me….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Vinny1k,

Wow! I remember reviewing your posts expressing dissatisfaction with the tailpiece finish. Didn’t know you had issues with the entire guitar finish.

AKA
    Borys guitars have a matte finish, they aren’t a relic finish. The tailpiece does have a kind of distressed finish to it. But no artificial weather checking etc on the wood finish. Vinnie probably wants a polished finish like a Gibson.